Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Can not Enlarge Hole in SS With Drill Bit

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 3537 times

Old 06-24-2017, 06:44:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,001 Times in 570 Posts
Default Re: Can not enlarge hole in SS with drill bit.

Cleaned up the Bimini hinge mount today.

Is it perfect?, No, is it good, yes.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2017, 02:01:25 AM
Registered

Some tips for drilling/tapping SS, 1. Use sharp tools. 2. Don't continue to run the cutting tool with no downward pressure,(dwelling). 3. We found that Crisco is an excellent drilling/tapping lubricant for SS, both 300 and 400 series. 4. Once work hardened, carbide tooling or Electro-Discharge Machining (EDM) was usually required to save parts.
When I worked for Westinghouse Nuclear Reactor Division, Crisco was all we used for drilling and tapping "Stainless Steel".

"Stainless Steel" is actually a registered brand name for corrosion resistant steel, owned by the United States Steel Corporation. We have used the name incorrectly to signify any corrosion resistant steel, much like referring to any soft drink as a "Coke"

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to wasillashack For This Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 01:57:27 PM
Registered-I

Well it WAS an entertaining thread, you got to admit that.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:17:38 PM
Registered-I

Congat's to sdowney717 !!!
It's not always about the money.
This forum is populated by self-sufficient individuals, many of whom will spend endless hours and way too much money restoring old stuff just for the satisfaction. You can't buy that feeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 05:33:46 PM
Registered-I

Of course he could have rebuilt an engine in the time he wasted on an $11.50 part. You can't buy anything at all with that.
But he's not alone! A "diamond" drill and bleach for coolant. That's a new one. And "stainless steel" a trademark of U.S. steel? They don't even make stainless and even if at one time they trademarked it (They didn't) it would be null since the law requires you to "vigorously defend" it or it reverts to the public domain.

---------- Post added at 02:33:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24:58 PM ----------

Oops almost forgot about "pacifying" stainless. Baby stainless, I guess. Adult stainless gets passivated.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:40:05 PM
Registered

Whenever you are enlarging an existing hole in a stainless part be very careful to clamp the part very securely and try to avoid using a hand held drill. Stainless is relatively soft and will tend to gab the bit and can twist the part out of the vice or the drill out of your hands or both. The first can completely ruin the part and the latter can hurt.

Be careful out there.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:34:17 PM
Registered

When I served my Machinists' apprenticeship in the 60's, we were told USS did in fact patent the name "Stainless Steel" I haven't been employed in the nuclear reactor industry since 1975 when I moved to Alaska. Since the steel industry in the US is practically non existent anymore, I wouldn't doubt that USS doesn't "vigorously defend" the patent, it most likely expired many years ago, before many on this forum were born.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:26:34 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Can not Enlarge Hole in SS With Drill Bit

Thought that this was a useful exercise for all of us to learn from. "Never Surrender" attitude has served him very well.
Exercises like this does come in handy for that time when we have a similar project to restore or save.
Well done mate !!!