Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Milling Machine: Bridgeport vs MSC 'knock-off'

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 2542 times

Old 09-07-2017, 11:12:33 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Milling Machine: Bridgeport vs MSC 'knock-off'

Condition is everything. I was in the market for a mill about 10 years ago and at the time all I could find was beat up bridgeports, loose with the tables full of holes. I reluctantly dropped the $10k CAD for a new knock off KING with a table feed, DRO and some tooling. I ran it pretty hard at my small job shop for years and I must say I have no complaints. I still have it and its snug as the day I bought it. I still get the "oh nice ching chong Bridgeport" guys now and then but hey, "where's yours" I ask
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2017, 08:49:53 PM
Registered-I

Almost 20 years ago I was looking for a mill and decided I did not need someone else's worn out equipment; I went for a new BP clone and have never regretted it.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:26:56 PM
Subscriber

One other thing to keep in mind it the spindle taper as s100 mentioned. It's been a while since I bought any tooling but while the #40 taper had more capacity and an ER collet chuck is sweet, it is? (was at the time) quite a bit more pricey. R8 if I remember right takes up to 7/8" in standard collets and is fairly inexpensive. Keep in mind you will probably want a drill chuck, boring head and maybe a morse taper adapter also. It comes down to what capacity you plan to run the machine in, large parts with heavy cuts or mostly smaller fine work which R8 will handle easily.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:37:48 PM
Registered-I

Alliant were good machines. Do not care for the MSC, seemed to wear out pretty quick and parts might be hard to find. John
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05:25 PM
Registered-II

For a makerspace, I'd suggest that you DON'T want X and Y power.
Make them turn the cranks. They'll break less tooling that way.

I'd say a DRO is a must these days, especially if the machine you end up with has some slop. The fancier the math that it does, the better.

All that said, have you considered a Bridgeport EZ-Trak?
You get 2 or 2 axis CNC that way.
I think they start at about $10K, though.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Old 10-24-2017, 07:48:18 PM
Registered

Ditto. for me a variable speed head and power draw bar trump power feed any day. we have an EZ trac machine at work and it was a great 2.5d machine but was messy for production work.

I have a Bridgeport 308 VMC in my garage and other than the small work envelope it's been a good machine. True 3d CNC but often I wish it had a quill and more travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranchero50 For This Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 01:59:01 PM
Registered-III

On import machines you want to see a big M cast into the front of the column just above the vertical ways (Z axis). The earlier mills were made of ductile iron and they lasted about 5 to 6 years in a machine shop. Most likely last a home shop for ever, depending on amount of use.The M stands for mehinite (spelling?) cast iron and it holds up a lot better. I found that a lot of parts off a Bridgeport just fit right on to a Jet mill. (Taiwan)

Richard W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W. For This Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:57:56 AM
Registered-I

[QUOTE=Richard W.;1435254]On import machines you want to see a big M cast into the front of the column just above the vertical ways (Z axis). The earlier mills were made of ductile iron and they lasted about 5 to 6 years in a machine shop. Most likely last a home shop for ever, depending on amount of use.The M stands for mehinite (spelling?) cast iron and it holds up a lot better. I found that a lot of parts off a Bridgeport just fit right on to a Jet mill. (Taiwan)

Throwing the BS flag here. The Meehanite process was patented in 1931. Meehanite is not a material, it is a process. Specifically for cast irons of various properties. Ductile iron was invented in 1943 and the patent granted in 1949.
If you can't even spell Meehanite you should just STFU.
The misinformation on these forums is alarming, Perhaps there should be some moderation in this regard. I am not a fan of censorship but a lie is a lie and deserves no leniency
Old 11-12-2017, 01:12:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,109 Times in 2,083 Posts

Oh oh, put the cocktails down and step away from the computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 01:13:23 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post

Throwing the BS flag here. The Meehanite process was patented in 1931. Meehanite is not a material, it is a process. Specifically for cast irons of various properties. Ductile iron was invented in 1943 and the patent granted in 1949.
If you can't even spell Meehanite you should just STFU.
This comment should get you thrown off the board.

I don't use the word much , so I don't always remember how to spell it. Meehanite in my experience is much longer wearing. Also I was told by a machine importer that the M was for Meehanite. The Twain mills before that with no M when I drilled the table for DRO the chips showed it was ductile iron. The later ones with the M show it was something else. The chips were entirely different and harder to drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
The misinformation on these forums is alarming, Perhaps there should be some moderation in this regard. I am not a fan of censorship but a lie is a lie and deserves no leniency
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W. For This Post: