Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Monarch Lathe (old) Clutch operation info?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 532 times

Old 09-13-2017, 05:06:20 PM
Registered

Default Monarch Lathe (old) Clutch operation info?

Hey guys, I have an old Monarch lathe and I cant figure out how the clutch operates for the feed... it seems to be a "cone" type clutch and it seems that some models have a "star" handle on it to operate it but mine is just knurled. Anyway, it will work fine if I loosen/tighten the nut on it with a wrench, but I don't think this is the intended operation of it. I think something just may be stuck. Anyway please see the picture and its the knurled knob in the bottom right corner.

Please let me know what the normal operation would be for these cone clutches so I can see if I can figure it out without having to disassemble everything.

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11aa.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	291092
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 09:58:37 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,101 Times in 421 Posts
Default Re: Monarch Lathe (old) Clutch operation info?

Maybe the knob replaced the starknob. Looks like you tighten the knurled knob to engage the feed. Does that only have long feed? Doesn't seem to have a lever to change the feed from long to cross. Rob
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37:23 AM
Registered-I

i have a 1916 monarch 18x60 looks like yours be careful i engaged both knobs and instantly twisted of drive in apron had to make new one mine has star knobs one is cross feed other is long leaver engages

---------- Post added at 09:37:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammer View Post
i have a 1916 monarch 18x60 looks like yours be careful i engaged both knobs and instantly twisted of drive in apron had to make new one mine has star knobs one is cross feed other is long leaver engages
ps. thats why yous is welded i was lucky mine did not break out like yours it,s a splined shaft
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32:14 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys.

My lathe does have a knob to switch from driving the table to driving the cross slide... it is the third knob down in the picture (basically right in the center of the apron thing). If I slide this knob to the left it engages the table drive and if I slide it to the right it engages the cross slide feed. Whichever way it is set though the clutch I am asking about will disengage it if I loosen the nut on it with a wrench or engage it if I tighten the nut. However, I don't think that's whats supposed to be done.

If the nut on the clutch is tight the knurled knob turns all the time if the lead screw is turning. My assumption is that I should be able to twist this knob or push it in or pull it out or something to get it to operate but if so, its stuck or something. I am just wondering what is the normal operation of it? Do you know if it is supposed to be pushed or pulled or turned or what? Or maybe tightening the nut is the correct way? Or maybe the nut used to be a star handle at some point? Can you post a picture of the star handle and whats behind it?

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-14-2017, 05:36:54 PM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,101 Times in 421 Posts

Seems to me that on some lathes when the lead screw is turning so does the star wheel. Rob
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10:01 PM
Registered-II

If that clutch is like every similar one I have ever seen, tightening the knob should engage the clutch. If you have to tighten it so tight to make the carriage go that a wrench is required, something is very wrong in there, or the clutch just may be worn out. Either way exploratory surgery is in order.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:09:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,342 Posts

I would think if you could hold the knob & unlock (loosen) the nut, then screw the knob farther on to the shaft, then lock the nut again that would tighten up the clutch...sounds like it just needs adjusted tighter.
Disclaimer: I have not done this, nor have I operated a Monarch with that setup...it just looks from here like that would work...I have operated lathes that engaged the feed by tightening a knob or star wheel. The knob turns with the feed & you can disengage it by holding the knob from turning or loosening it.
Smokstak member #442
Old 09-16-2017, 11:26:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of the info guys! I think I got it figured out doing some of what ronm said. I loosened the nut on it then stuck a screwdriver in to hold the gear from turning and had to turn the knurled part clockwise and it broke free from the clutch gear... it was just stuck. I was able to snug the nut back up some and now the knurled part can tighten and loosen the clutch. Thanks again to all of you that commented... much appreciated.
Thanks,
Van