Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Polisher Restoration

this thread has 61 replies and has been viewed 3567 times

Old 04-24-2017, 10:21:39 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,013 Posts
Default Re: Polisher Restoration

The A/C in my first house had a single leg contactor on a 220 compressor, one leg stayed hot, I found that unusual.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41:42 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Castagnos View Post
The A/C in my first house had a single leg contactor on a 220 compressor, one leg stayed hot, I found that unusual.
It's still very common for air conditioners to use a single pole contactor. IIRC it was common and dare I say safe to use a double pole switch on a grounded leg three phase system. The grounded leg was not switched. Come on guys I know that these systems are somewhat antiquated by today's standards, but I'm only 46 and yet I have personally worked on numerous grounded leg systems still in constant use, both 480 & 240 volt.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:13:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,396 Posts

Code, as in the NEC, has nothing to do with the wiring within machines like this. Quite typical within machines to Not switch all ungrounded lines, as has been mentioned.

In your case you will only be supplying the machine with two ungrounded conductors anyway, since a cap will go to the third. Easy as pie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:23:33 PM
Registered-I

Dal, If you are connecting it to a more modern 3 pH or a rotary converter use a 3 pole. If you are connecting to a grounded system a two pole would be fine, but not up to date code wise. It sounds like you may be making a static converter, if so a two pole switch is fine here as well since the converter is connected after the switch. Lots of good info on the web about homebrew static converters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Dieckmann For This Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 02:16:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,754 Posts

I sent Cincinnati an email on Monday with the serial#, have not heard back from them yet, was hoping they could fill in the blanks on the data tag.

So using WAG methodology I'm going to guess this is a 1hp motor, what mfd cap should I try?

I'm kind of familiar with static phase converters, more familiar with rotary converters, but have never tried the capacitor trick. What are the pro's/con's of using a capacitor?

posborne
I'm the queen of scrounging, how do you think I ended up with this cool machine.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:35:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,013 Posts

The capacitor is a static convertor. Would a VFD work on this machine, they are getting reasonable.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:01:58 PM
Registered-I

Try this. There are loads of pages on numerous sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	280926  
Old 04-26-2017, 05:14:07 PM
Registered-I

As was stated the capacitors essentially make a static converter. A static converter is automatic with a potential relay to switch the start capacitor on and off. It can be done with a light switch although not as convenient. Pros : cheaply made if you have a source of used capacitors, works well on one machine. Cons: motor can't be instantly reversed-think threading, can only run one machine, motor only develops approx 2/3 of rated HP.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:42:24 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
I sent Cincinnati an email on Monday with the serial#, have not heard back from them yet, was hoping they could fill in the blanks on the data tag.

So using WAG methodology I'm going to guess this is a 1hp motor, what mfd cap should I try?

I'm kind of familiar with static phase converters, more familiar with rotary converters, but have never tried the capacitor trick. What are the pro's/con's of using a capacitor?

posborne
I'm the queen of scrounging, how do you think I ended up with this cool machine.
A capacitor start in a rotary converter helps with the inrush amperage. I might have missed this but does this machine have 9 wires? Depending on the hp you could use a cheap VFD, I'd build a rotary converter for full hp and to use on other 3 phase stuff. I'll find my pics this weekend.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,754 Posts

Still no reply from Cincinnati, knowing the hp would help me decide which way to go. I can put a vfd on it as inexpensively as doing a static converter, it just seems like over-kill for a machine that runs at 1 speed. If its 1.5hp I would probably not miss 1/3 of the power, if its 1hp or less, well I probably need all the power it can put out. I have a rotary converter, 20hp, again it seems like overkill. This machine, and the others I've been fixing up are all going to the Nevada shop, and I suspect its going to take awhile to figure out machine placement, my shop area there is only 12ft wide x 90ft long.

The current data tag looks like la shi so I've been contemplating making a new brass tag for it, but without info to stamp into it whats the point? So I'm agonizing on whether or not to remove/destroy that tag, and I can't paint until I make the decision.

930dreamer
All I see coming out the bottom of motor is 3 wires.