Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Looking for bandsaw blade guide drawings

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 610 times

Old 08-04-2017, 03:35:24 PM
Registered-III

Default Looking for bandsaw blade guide drawings

Background info:

The blade guides on my little Olsen horizontal bandsaw are trashed. Actually, the whole saw may be tweaked beyond my ability to repair it... (I wasn't paying attention a couple years ago when I bought it.)

I tried to rebuilt the guides that were on it, but they're too far gone, and were marginal at best when new. I've got 6 good ball bearings, and that's about it.

Jump to the chase:

I've been searching online for blade guide drawings/plans, but haven't come up with any. Has anybody here made their own guides? Does anybody have a set of drawings/plans, or know where to come up with them? I have a mill & lathe, but very little time on them, so simpler is gooder.

Thanks!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 05:13:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts
Default Re: Looking for bandsaw blade guide drawings

I'm thinking what you need is called a Cam Follower. They come in all diff. sizes. Google McGill Cam followers and see can you find what might work. Any good bearing house could also look them up for you. Maybe this will help.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:33:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,517 Posts

Short of replacing bearings, what else is there to rebuild? Some pics so we can see your problem might help with a solution.

Sold my old Enco saw to a friend years ago, had to borrow back a few years later and it would not cut a straight line, finally figured out he had swapped the guides. Switched them back and it cut fine. Visually they looked the same, but swapping them corrected the problem.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:24:21 PM
Subscriber

Try : www.sawblade.com
They sell guide conversion kits for a lot of saw brands. A bit pricy though, but maybe OK if you consider your time in making your own.
PT
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42:41 PM
Registered-II

A few years ago I found myself in the same predicament you are in now, only I needed guides for a wood cutting saw. There's an outfit called Carter that makes guides for bandsaws. I found pictorials and drawings of their various products and stole with my eyes, ending up with a design that took the ideas I liked from several guides. You could do the same.

Basic ball bearing guides fall into two categories, one where the thrust bearing shaft centerline is perpendicular to the blade, with the blade riding against the OD of the bearing, and one where the bearing shaft centerline is parallel to the blade but offset to one side, with the blade riding against the side of the bearing outer race, contacting at two points. This sounds cheezy, I know, unless you use a specific bandsaw thrust bearing, but I have a Delta-Rockwell 20" metal/wood cutting bandsaw that I have used exclusively for metal, and the ordinary, cheap $3 bearing has lasted well in this service. This design makes it easier adjust the bearing position. You can machine your guides out of a block of solid steel (what I did) or aluminum or you can fabricate a decent basic guide from angle iron and some sheet steel welded together to form most of the frame. The other thing you need is a set of eccentric bolts for retaining the side guide bearings but allowing some lateral movement so you can adjust the guides for straight cutting. For a little saw like yours I think I would go for the angle iron option with the thrust bearing set up as described in the second option above. The eccentrics are easy to make if you have a four jaw chuck for your lathe.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2017, 01:39:32 PM
Registered-III

Here's a few pics of the saw & the current guides. All 6 bearings are all good, which is a bonus, since this is a low low budget project.

I think the major problem is that the bearings aren't really adjustable. They move too much when they're tightened.

I ended up working on my truck yesterday, but today will be dedicated to the band saw guides.

Thanks!
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olson 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	288069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guide 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	288070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guide 4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	288071  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:40:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,517 Posts

Odd design, not quite understanding the long bolts, unless it is to tweak bearing alignment? I would get rid of the stacked washers too and replace with a solid machined bushing, weld bushing in place and use a custom bolt with eccentric running in the bushing.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:43:37 PM
Registered-II

Those guides look pretty hokey but they also look like something can be done with them. Those long bolts are cheezy but the general design has an elegant simplicity to it that iappeals to me and is worth retaining. The flat washer stack is there for a reason, you add or subtract washers for different blade widths. They're not the problem. I can't see quite how the thing is set up but I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say that the thing is moving around when you tighten the bolts. If possible you need to join the two plates that are now connected by the long bolts and get rid of the bolts. I'd say weld a spacer between the two but I don't know enough about the setup to make that suggestion. Maybe you can find a suitable size of pipe, cut a piece in half lengthwise, and weld it around the rounded corners of the two plates. Next you need two eccentric bolts to position the guide bearings. You can make those on your lathe with a four jaw chuck. Do NOT make eccentric bushings and retain them with loose bolts. You need to hold the eccentric in place with the wrench on the bolt hex while tightening the nut. The bushing is going to be rolling around in there doing whatever it wants, completely beyond your control. That's not a recipe for success.

Look for ways to improve the rigidity of the guides and eliminate any source of weakness. You may need to remake some parts from thicker stock but at the end of the day that guide can be the basis for a much improved replacement.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01:44 PM
Registered-III

The bearings will always move, unless you replace the standard bolts with axle bolts. Other then no adjustment for blade width, unless that is an eccentric I see the bolts going through in the plate, it should work.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:21:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the advice & info so far.

I'm making progress with the saw... The blade actually stays on the wheels & tires now! The thing was so out of whack that once I aligned the drive belts & pulleys, the blade would run off in about 2 seconds of running.

From the input here, I have a couple ideas about a way to rebuild/modify the guides. I think I'll replace the bolts with (I'm not sure what to call them) double ended shoulder studs...??? Which I'll make myself. That way I can get rid of the nuts that support the 2 flanges on the inside. Yeah, I know a drawing would help... Haha... I'll get one sketched up and post it here.

Making an eccentric is probably above my pay grade with my level of machining newness, but I understand how that would make adjusting the 2 lower "pinch" bearings reliable. The way the guide is designed, I'd have to have eccentrics in the top piece, too... I think...

I have no threading tools for my lathe, so I need to figure out what to get, and get them on the way. I'll post a new topics asking for some guidance with what to get.

Thanks for the continued help... Maybe one day I'll learn enough to help somebody else here!.

Chris