Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)

Monarch 1906 Model A Lathe

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 635 times

Old 04-11-2018, 02:37:27 PM
Registered

Default Monarch 1906 Model A Lathe

I got this one years ago. It is a 1906 Monarch Model A 14" QC. Company in Saginaw Michigan that went on to become Eaton ordered it from The Chas. Strellinger company in Detroit. The owner started his apprenticeship when he was just 13, this was pre WWI. They worked one shift Sunrise till Sunset. The "steamers" started 1 hour early to fire up the plant steam engines before the machinists arrived. The owner's brother also used to work there and had lots of stories.
This lathe was originally line shaft powered and then was converted to electric in 1926, I have the original papers. The is a 1/2 hp motor with a 1" shaft! All cast iron and brass, when it is running, all you can hear is the belt running. It changes gears with a light touch and it is smooth. This man went on to become the plant manager and the gave him the lathe when he retired. It is still in it's original paint and I even got the factory tool kit with it. I also was able to get his old Machinist's tool box and everything in it was pre WWI.
He had past away many years ago and it was still set up in his basement, his Niece was going to scrap it out when I found out about.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch lathe 1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	725.1 KB
ID:	307977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe 2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	307978  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,567 Posts
Default Re: Monarch 1906 Model A Lathe

Think Jeff Higgins (backyard machinist) just finished a restoration of a similar model on his youtube channel.
Doc
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20:26 PM
Registered

Hello Doc
This one is unrestored and just the way the I got it. Eaton specialized in valves and lifters at the time, his brother told me that he was sent to England in the late sixties to work with Triumph and BSA on the new triples that they were trying to make and he helped them with the lifter design. He also told me that his brother had invented the hydraulic lifter and that one of the things that he had been working on for years was a hydraulic lifter that would pump oil, then they could eliminate the oil pump. I even got a few that he was working on.
I had been looking for a bigger lathe then my old 10" Atlas when I heard about this one. He was long gone and never married, so his brother and his niece had been taking care of disposing of the estate. I called and met the brother at 10:00pm that night, the house was bare and so was the basement. Then I went around a corner and there it was. I looked at it, turned it on and they asked him how much. He said the a couple of others had looked at it, one said that it was missing guards and was unsafe to use and another said that Harbor freight had better and that it was only worth scrap metal.
I had $175.00 on me, and I gave it to him and told him the other two were either idiots or were lying to him. I told him that I wanted it and here was my down payment and when he figured out how much he wanted for it to call me ASAP. He looked at me and smiled and told me "sold for $175.00" and that his brother would be happy that someone like me got it. He then started to tell me about his brother and the two of them working there. I picked it up the next day, and he found a box with lots of projects like the lifters in it, a box with the tools and the original 4 jaw chuck. Then he found two large coffee cans full of ground bits. My dad and I carefully took it apart and carried up out of the basement and padded it for the 1/2 hour ride home.
Before I left , I told him that a machinist would normally have a tool box and that I would be interested in it. he called me a couple of days later and invited me over to his house. there was a very old machinist tool box still in its black leather cover with all of it's tools, all marked with pre WWI dates. It even had the paperwork for the upgrade from line shaft to electric motor in 1926, I asked how much and he said $50.00 he wanted to take his wife out to dinner. I laughed and said no, but I do have $100 that I will give you. He showed me some of the stuff that his brother had made, one was a ash tray about 18" tall. It was two SS WWII aircraft valves, one for the base, one upside down so the dished part would hold the ashes and four valve retainers set into it to hold the butts. Best past was another stem came up from the middle and if you twisted it, it would unscrew and it was a lighter. It think of the history every time that I use the lathe.
Jeff
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MidMich For This Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24:10 AM
Subscriber

I also have a Monarch 1906 lathe. Made in Sidney Ohio and I believe still in business. They were so very ahead of their time it is unbelievable. Study the posted pictures. Mine has factory quick change gears, hollow spindle, taper attachment, collet set. Features not regularly seen until the 1930"s or later. Very good lathe.
The Following User Says Thank You to John C. Neagley For This Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11:04 AM
Registered

John
I still use it when I need to turn something down. It is still very smooth and quiet when it runs.
Jeff
Old 04-12-2018, 11:14:59 AM
Registered

I found a couple of more photos.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lathe 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	308033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch drive.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	308034  
The Following User Says Thank You to MidMich For This Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 05:52:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,567 Posts

Jeff: You virtually stole them both (lathe & toolbox). I can only dream about finding any such bargans around here. Lathes in this area are usually priced quite high. I could actually make a serious proffit buying a truckload full of lathes in the Nothwest and then selling them here. In example a small Sears-Atlas would typically sell for around $750-$800. One showed up on a local Craigslist type page for $500 and was gone in about 20 minutes. A high school Southbend in rough shape could easily fetch $1300.
(Bridgeport mills even worse pricing, starting near 2 grand and moving up.)
Doc

Should have said "Northeast" not Northwest. Doh!

Last edited by Thaumaturge; 04-12-2018 at 10:54:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15:46 PM
Registered

Doc
This area used to be heavy with industry going back to the 1800's, Ship building, bicycle, auto, chemical etc. Most of it is long gone, but the equipment will still turn up from time to time and it tends to show up for a fair price.
Last summer one of my son in laws was cleaning out a old barn that he purchased and he found a old cast iron Walker turner L1150 14" gap bed wood lathe. It had been sitting for decades and was covered in rust. He was going to scrap it out , but instead gave it to me. A few sprays of Kroil and most of it freed up. It is cast iron so the rust is just surface rust and could be wire brushed or sand blasted. This is also the variable speed model.
Problem is I do not need another wood lathe or another project, I just could not let it go to the scrap yard. If someone was close by and needed a project, they could have it for the hauling.
Here is a photo of my mill, it is a old US Burke Mill Rite. The plant I worked at 30+ years ago purchased a new Bridgeport and sold this one in a employee auction. $75.00. It uses the 30 taper, but came with a pile of them, power feed on the head and table, 8" spacer block and all of the vertical to horizontal adapters . It was a 3 phase with 4 speed gear box and six position pulley under that. They also tossed out a old 3/4hp floor scrubber with a pancake motor. I had a homemade phase convertor on it for a long time and then I pulled the 3 phase and gearbox and put the scrubber motor on it. I did some rewiring on the motor and it is reversible. I used to use the right angle adapter swung over parallel with the table and had a small lathe chuck mounted to it. I just used the vise to hold the lathe bit. Cheap lathe.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MillRite Mill.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	308090  
Old 04-12-2018, 10:20:35 PM
Registered

I should add the the vise on the mill is a Polish made 6" back jaw unit of excellent quality. I found it in a resale junk store, The owner had two of the new in the boxes and he was only asking $25.00 each for them. He said that he had never seen such a screwed up design for a vise and was happy to get rid of them. .
Jeff
Old 08-04-2018, 08:42:12 AM
Registered

What a beauty. I have one almost identical. I’m following every thread I can find, much like you I’d bet.

---------- Post added at 05:42:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27:36 AM ----------

[/IMG]