Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)

Belt Drive Machinery on Craigslist

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 883 times

Old 04-24-2018, 08:33:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,758 Times in 326 Posts
Default Belt Drive Machinery on Craigslist

still belted up!!!

https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d...569168797.html
Old 04-25-2018, 03:19:53 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Belt Drive Machinery on Craigslist

WOW!

Most of that kind of old stuff looks like it was winched out of a bog where it was dumped 50 years ago after being shoved out of a third floor window. These machines, though, look complete and very well cared for, like you could go to work on them right now and expect good results. The whole place is a time warp. There has to be an interesting story there, I wonder what it is.

Thanks for posting!
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 01:28:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,473 Times in 3,600 Posts

The Whole Shop is Cool, but I'd Really Love to have that Hoist.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:58:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,240 Times in 2,117 Posts

I have cousins that live a couple blocks from there. Too bad they have no interest in machinery.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 02:43:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,723 Posts

I'm kind of surprised none of you are over there trying to cut a deal for the whole place, land/building/everything! Don't you guys realize what it would take in effort and dollars to build that in your back yard
Old 04-26-2018, 09:27:09 PM
Registered-II

DG,

I'm not in the area and machinery that old is not within my range of interest but I do appreciate it for what it is. You put your finger on the crux of the matter when you said, "...what it would take in effort and dollars to build that in your back yard..." Yes it is a great entity and all but impossible to duplicate BUT it is not in someone's own back yard, and there's the rub. Owning a building in a big city is an appalling prospect. Between taxes, insurance, upkeep, thefts and the never ending retinue of inspectors. all with their hands out for cash for inspections, permits, fees. etc etc etc you will be slowly (or not so slowly) bled dry. You would be astonished at what they can come up with, and the demands they can concoct to justify their existence to their bosses. It's a never ending nightmare. Don't ask me how I know.

---------- Post added at 09:27:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22:13 PM ----------

Just looked at the ad again. If the map is correct then things may be worse than even I think. The location shown is right near the waterfront. No idea what that part of the city is like but if the regime or a developer takes a notion to redevelop that area they will do whatever they have to do (and the list of options they have available is limitless) to drive the owner out. In fact, who knows, that may be what is happening now and the reason for the sale. (Just speculating.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 02:58:42 PM
Subscriber

When I was in my early teens I went to work for a gentleman that owned a weld/fab machine shop. As it turned out this fell was continuing the type of work that his great great grandfather started back in the mid 1800's. Although his shop was a newer construction, several of the buildings on the property were original buildings from when his grandfather owned it and in those buildings was a setup much like the one shown on this thread but with lots more machines. For years him and I talked about starting some sort of museum and getting the lineshaft shop up and running but one day he decided it was best to clear out the buildings and stick all of the equipment in old shipping containers...I was devastated but what he told me made a lot of sense... He said he could rent these buildings for $2000.00 a month... so every month that he stores these machines it is costing him $2000.00 ...he said now how many months would it take to buy this equipment with the money made on rent. As sad as it made me he was 100% right... I knew then that any old lineshaft shops left in existence were destine to be erased forever...real estate is to valuable to let sit for most people and if any of this stuff will be left to enjoy in a shop setting it will take people willing to spend money and lots of it to make it happen...I am currently building my lineshaft museum and its costing me plenty of money and plenty of time but I love it.

---------- Post added at 02:58:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56:59 PM ----------

Btw.... this information was taken from a guy on Practical Machinist forum about the lineshaft shop for sale...

"This is the Key City Iron Works that is being sold out. They were in operation over 100 years when they closed their doors in 1993. It started out as a small foundry and machine shop, but ended up doing only general machine shop work and welding.

They built this building in 1890 and the machine tools were originally operated by a steam engine, with lighting by candles and gas lamps. The shop was updated over the years, but some of the lathes and drill presses remained under lineshaft, later being driven by an electric motor and what is seen left today."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Kulisiewicz For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 07:16:15 PM
Subscriber

Lots of history in those machines.