Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Seeking Homelite Generator Information

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1301 times

Old 04-05-2017, 08:25:59 AM
Registered-II

Default Seeking Homelite Generator Information

Is their a good place other than this forum of course where I can go to find information on the homelite Generators? I have an early one I picked up a few years back with an inverted cylinder engine early 40's and I believe it had military tags on it. Unfortunetly the model number tag is gone. I think it's 500w D.C. But yesterday I picked up 2 homelites from a CoWorker model 24D120-2 serial 276566. It's 120V DC 20.8 amps.
The second one is 35A115-1 serial 1386723
115V AC 13.1amps. Of course I can just use ohms law to figure out the watt output of each what I would like to know how old they are and what a D.C. Plant would have been used for.
Thanks I haven't found much on the internet that's helpful so far and I hope to get them all fixed and running soon
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2018, 09:41:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Seeking Homelite generator information

I also have the 35a115 Homelite. From what I've gathered they are from around 55-58. Do you have the mt53a carb? If so the carb rebuild kit # is Rk-297 from Ve Peterson. I have a bunch of part numbers from taking mine apart, if you want to sell that carb please let me know!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:44:28 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Seeking Homelite Generator Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Briggs View Post
... what a D.C. Plant would have been used for.
Search on some of the "ad vs dc wars" back in the day between Edison and Westinghouse.

120vdc will run light bulbs and universal motors just as well as 120vac, and likely with less flickering for the bulbs (esp if the ac is 25 cycles instead of 60). Just not sure whether it will work for modern LED or CFL bulbs with switching power supplies (maybe, maybe not depending on the design).
Old 04-10-2018, 08:43:40 PM
Registered-III

Modern LED bulbs that do not have the capacitive dropper but rather a switching mode supply will work if fed 170 volts DC which is the outcome of rectifying 120 volts AC. I've bench tested LED and CFL lights on DC just to see if it can be done.

I friend of mine in Australia uses CFL lights on 340 volts DC from 12 volt batteries using a little CFL inverter circuit from Oatley Electronics. Their mains supply is 240 volts so 340 DC is the net result of rectification and hence the CFL lights are quite happy on that voltage DC.

Robert
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,361 Posts

The net result after rectification with load applied is far less than 170 volts DC though. That would be only drawing power at the very peak of the waveform!

I have successfully run some CFLs on ~115 volts DC, and successfully ruined some others lol. If it'll run on DC, it ought to work fine on 115 volts.

We used to run cell phone chargers (switch mode only, please!) from the 75 volt DC socket in locomotives...

The nice thing about LEDs and CFLs is that you can still get incandescent and halogen bulbs.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:56:46 AM
Registered-III

The DC voltage does drop down as more load is applied. Under load the voltage would drop to 163 volts.

My setup was a bridge rectifier and a electrolytic motor start capacitor on the DC side for filtering. No load was 170 V. With 6 bulbs totaling 3 LED and 3 CFL lights I had a 163 volts.

I don't see why 120V DC could not work. The higher voltage was the suggestion of my friend from Aussie who is a electronics expert. I still don't completely grasp switching power supplies. There also seems to be a lot of variety in that field.

I have powered LED and CFL lights on DC from a car alternator at about 95 volts. I do notice the lights flicker a bit. It could be the high frequency or too low a voltage.

As Vanman has noted the 75v DC sockets in rail locomotives are quite capable of charging phones with switch mode power supplies.

Robert