Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Smokey Scale Model John Deere E

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2765 times

Old 07-29-2012, 02:28:58 PM
Registered-II

Default Smokey Scale Model John Deere E

Hi Guys Just built a 1/2 scale John Deere model E from a casting set by Leroy Hoover, the engine starts at the first spin of the flywheel but is burning more oil than i would have expected. The bore and piston fit is perfect, the crankcase is sealed on this engine and the oil is sprayed inside the crankcase by the ball governor, i have not over filled the crankcase with oil but i am using a very thin engine oil, should i be using a thicker grade of oil which will help to reduce the amount of oil being sprayed inside the crankcase as the oil level with take time to return to the small container which is situated around the ball governor. would reducing the oil level help. Any feedback would be helpful

regards Roger
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 04:12:24 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Smokey Scale Model John Deere E

is the enclosed crankcase vented? if not pressure build-up could force oil past the rings
Old 07-29-2012, 04:18:39 PM
Registered-II

Perhaps your model dosent have the tin shild the real engine has ?It is a shild that stops excessive oil from getting to the piston and has a slot cut out to accomodate the connecting rod --- does your model have this???? If not then you might want to see how it is installed in the real motor --- do you know somebody tht has a real JD-E that you could pull off the back cover and have a look ??
Old 07-29-2012, 05:32:21 PM
Registered-II

Yes the enclosed crankcase is vented with a 5/32 diameter hole,

I have not seen inside a crankcase of a full size engine, it sounds like i need to make a shield to stop excess oil splashing on to the piston/bore
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25:01 PM
Registered-I

hi roger the model john deere is a nice engin e do you have any pics for us?
what else you got on the go? been making?

you may have seen the ihc upright on here that jason ballamy has built for me im just putting the finishing touches to that painting, making a base etc i want to make a little pump for it to drive.

when thats done there maybe a domestic to play with

jonathan
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12:27 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,079 Times in 246 Posts

Hi Roger,
A little more information would be helpful. How thin is the oil you're using? Does your piston have rings? Even if the seal is good it's possible that the rings haven't seated all the way and therefore it's pulling a little oil past them. On any type of engine the oil gets slung around in the crankcase so it's the job of the rings to prevent it from getting to the combustion chamber.
gbritnell
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,018 Times in 3,381 Posts

Off hand, I would say that 5/32 'breather hole' isn't big enough concidering how big the piston is that's pumping air in and out.

Plus, to really be effective, the breather needs to let the crankcase pressure out on the power stroke, and then seal off to create a vaccuum in the crankcase on the compression stroke so any excess oil that's trying to get by the rings will get sucked back into the crankcase.

My last full sized deere was missing the breather cover, so I made one out of a large flat washer with a leather gasket under it, and bolted it on with a carraige bolt so the square shank bottomed out before the washer touched allowing it to move up and down to breath/seal/breath/seal
Old 07-30-2012, 04:07:22 PM
Registered-II

In response to all your help, i have been using Castrol R in the crankcase (only because i had a Litre lying around in the work shop) i think i will change over to normal engine oil. The piston has 2 rings and i honed the bore prior to assembly to ensure a good fit which also reduces betting in. I have added an internal shield to reduce oil splashing and this has reduced the smoking considerably.

Regards Roger

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Hi Jonathan if you contact me direct on my email upward@tesco.net i will gladly send you a few pictures of my model engines, i have a side shaft Domstic which is a great runner. If any of you guys in the USA/Canada subscribe to Stationary Engine Magazine you will see Scale model engines from time to time, the June 2012 edition featured 2 of my scale Amanco engines, one on a trolley and the other mounted on a display case
regards Roger
Old 08-02-2012, 03:45:47 PM
Registered-II

With the internal shield fitted and changing the oil to a thicker viscosity the John Deere runs a treat and no smoking which i am sure will please the neighbours, thanks for all your help and advice
Regards Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to Roger U For This Post:
Old 08-24-2012, 12:19:01 PM
Registered-III

Hello,

Do you have any setup and run instructions for the little john engine please, I bought a set of castings from Leroy, but cannot make contact sine to get some information, how much oil to put in etc, how to time the engine, setup the governor and trip system,

Thank you,

Colin