Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Hand starting a tractor-will it really hurt ya?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3264 times

Old 12-17-2005, 11:07:14 PM
Linda

Default Hand starting a tractor-will it really hurt ya?

Since I got my Farmall A a few week ago, I keep hearing "don't hand crank it, it will break your arm." Will it? Is there a proper technique. this will bother me until I try it, unless I here alot of "NO-DON'T" from you all. I think it would be quit pleasing..............

thanks Linda
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2005, 11:35:34 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Hand starting a tractor-will it really hurt ya?

Linda, If you do try to start it with the hand crank DON'T rap your thumb around the crank. It could easily break your thumb. As for breaking arms I suppose it could do that to but never heard of anyone personally. Dan Sheldon
Old 12-18-2005, 12:11:57 AM
Subscriber

Linda, If you don't rap your thumb around the crank and don't try to turn the crank all the way around you should be OK. I told my boys to only pull up on the crank and never never push it down. If it backfires it will pull the crank out of your hand and not break your thumb or arm.
Kevin
Old 12-18-2005, 01:01:02 AM

Thanked 18,952 Times in 5,614 Posts

How to properly hold a crank is important...........but not as important as having the magento adjusted to trip at slightly after top dead center.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:45:30 AM
John G. Simpson

if you hold the crank with fingers and no thumb,you should be fine. i have an a and a b with battery ignitions, both start better with the crank than with the starter. im not always bright and some times start them in gear and wait for it to roll by and then get on( not recommended), but great for races.
lotsa luck with your new toy
john
Old 12-18-2005, 07:31:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,606 Times in 1,436 Posts

Linda: I have a friend who started a 10-20 titan with the magneto in the advanced position (he forgot to place it in the retard position) with his thumb around the handle. Well, it backfired and six weeks or so later after the cast was off his arm..... he straightned out the rather large "BENT" crank handle. Only pull up and dont wrap the thumb around the handle. Never try to "spin" the crank while trying to start a tractor engine. Nothing good can happen .
Old 12-19-2005, 12:13:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,193 Times in 1,044 Posts

Ok, call me stupid, but I dont understand how wraping your thumb around the crank can break your thumb if it backfires. When it backfired, the crank would grab and push down on your hand on the other four fingers, not up on your thumb
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55:08 PM
Registered-III

Exclamation Re: Hand starting a tractor-will it really hurt ya?

You want to not only keep your thumb on the same side that your fingers are and ONLY pull up! If you contiue around back to the down position you will place your head in line with the crank handle which if the engine either backfires or the crank doesn't release from the end of the ratchet will clobber you right into the Darwin awards.

Forrest A
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,193 Times in 1,044 Posts

Well I know your only supposed to pull up on it, but I still dont see how pulling up on it can break your thumb like everyone else says
Old 12-19-2005, 07:59:12 PM
Registered-III

Well Tanner think about it , your thumb is grasping the handle , the engine back fires with great force in a split second the handle is going to work its way between pointer finger and thumb. From the direction of the handle and the somewhat vulnerable thumb somethings gotta give. My opinion anyway. Dan S
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39:25 PM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Hand starting a tractor-will it really hurt ya?

Linda, make sure that everything is well oiled and smooth at the connection of the crank handle and engine and there is nothing hanging up when the engine overruns the crank on start up. Joe Fisher,waiting for Spring in central Texas