Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Military Air Compressor with Briggs N Engine

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 7131 times

Old 11-19-2007, 12:51:57 AM
Registered-III

Default Military Air Compressor with Briggs N Engine

While picking up my generator this weekend, I also took a look around at what else the seller had for sale, behind his shed was a nice 1 wheeled tube frame small air compressor, I recognized it right away, as the frame my nice original Briggs model N engine would have come off. I bought it on the spot. I do not know a whole lot about it, I have seen a few around at shows and from what I have seen these were made during WWII for the Army. A tag on the Air pump says " Bendix- Westinghouse Automotive - Air brake Co "
Ser F543 Piece # 221442 Type 2US4VA” The engine I have for this set up was made in 1942. It appears that there was another tag on the air breather of the compressor at on time, but only 2 rivets remain maybe this was a US Army property tag or something like it.
I am looking for any information this Unit; does a military operators/parts manual exist?

I have attached some pictures, I hope to take some better ones this week.

The compressor is all free now and seems to have enough compression to pump air. I also got rid of the brackets that were welded to the frame possibly to use it an electric motor to run the compressor

~ Jonathan
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hlerGen003.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hlerGen001.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...hlerGen004.jpg
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 02:42:04 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Military Air Compressor with Briggs N Engine

Hello,
A buddy of mine had a exact copy of that compressor, that he restored a few years before he passed. They are a nice unit, but don't expect to air up more than one small car tire are a time! I don't know what they where used for in the military, as they just don't pump much volume.
Nice looking Briggs engine with the generator.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 11-19-2007, 04:58:05 PM
Registered-II

These air compressors are vintage WW2 and were made to parachute out of airplanes to where they were needed and their main purpose was to inflate truck and trailer tires. The steel tubing surrounding the compressor and engine was actually the receiver for the air and would not hold much. The engine would stay running, when the receiver was up to the rated PSI, and the compressor would unload until the PSI dropped and a call for air was given.
They used a model N Briggs with both a kick start and rope start for each engine as was the spec for most military items back then. They were very well made and would take a lot of abuse but like was pointed out earlier, they did not put out much CFM, but then again compared to a Lindsay or other compressors of that era, they did a great job for which they were intended.
I have a restored one and would like to secure any printed material thay may have been available for these compressors.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:13:59 PM
Registered-III

Jim,
I would like to see some pics if you have any especially of the area where the pressure gauge is since mine is missing.
~ Jonathan
Old 11-20-2007, 03:52:10 PM
Registered-II

Jonathan,
I do not have a digital camera, but if you send me your street address I will send you pictures of my restored compressor which shows what I believe you are looking for.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:16:11 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Military Air Compressor with Briggs N Engine

It looks to be in very good shape. A larger Briggs engine for sure. Possibly one of the Z models?

https://sites.google.com/site/briggs1936modela/
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42:58 PM
Registered-III

Jack,

After much research I found out that this engine is a Briggs BP. This unit was only manufactured for a few years in the mid 1940's by Kohler (the generator part was), before they developed their own air-cooled "K Series" engines. I was able to track down another engine, along with the original owners manual for the generator. I have since sold this engine to Briggs collector Greg A. Greg got it running, I kept the other more complete generator. I also still have the air compressor unit.

~ Jonathan
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32:56 PM
Registered-I

Jonathan:
I have one of these units and the original owners manual. Contact me with a private message if you are intrested in a copy of the manual.
Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Pope For This Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37:05 PM
Registered-I

Jonathan:
Here is a picture of my unit.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00019.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	91619  
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Pope For This Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19:07 PM
Registered-II

cool lookin' unit! thanks for sharing!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02:20 PM
Registered

Hi my name is Luke I found a thread you posted about a year ago and I apologize for it bugging you but I was wondering if you were still willing and able to make copies of the manual for the Bendix Westinghouse US4VA Army air compressor. The tube frame air compressor. If you can I would more than appreciate it I have two trying to make one good one still coming up short on parts. I would be willing to pay you just let me know.
LUKE

Craig here: Please contact Luke via PM.......
Old 03-17-2013, 11:34:41 PM
Registered

Well two years later and the compressor is finished. All except the damn Briggs pulley which I haven't been able to find in two years and also I need some measurements for the guard over the belts. I was wondering if anyone could help with either problem... The pulley is the one with kickstartclutch gear on the back, pull start in the front, and pulley sandwiched between. The guard I know bolts in two places in the front and that is all I know please help.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13:08 PM
Registered-III

Luke,

Just saw this, I forgot about this thread. I am still looking for a better copy of this manual, the one I have, it mostly there, but some of the pages are not readable, I can provide you when what number the book is, so you could possibly purchase another copy form a military surplus store or from a collector of military books. Glad to hear you were able to finish up your project ! I might be able to help you with the pulley, I am pretty sure I have an extra, that I purchased as a engine show a while back.

~ Jonathan