Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Another Austral Joins the Collection.

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 5569 times

Old 01-18-2015, 05:41:08 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,881 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Another Austral Joins the Collection.

I bought this one recently and finally had the chance to go and get it on the weekend. It was a 1760km round trip, but well worth it. It is a 1912 Austral but shows signs of possibly being a much earlier engine. There is an impressive amount of original paint. Many thanks to the Pitt boys for their help in getting this one home. Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-18 at 17-52-09 copy.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	216192   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-18 at 17-52-40 copy.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	216193   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-18 at 17-53-37 copy.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	216194   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-18 at 17-55-04 copy.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	216195  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2015, 07:00:15 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Another Austral joins the collection.

What a fantastic engine to get. I'd love one of these one day. Can't believe that paint has survived in such good condition, this must have been very well looked after in its life.
The Following User Says Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 10:25:00 PM
Subscriber

Great addition to the collection Patrick. Do I see a larger shed in your future?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:28:33 PM
Registered-II

Hi Patrick , could you tell us what are the signs of the engine that indicate it being older than what the serial no. says. Very nice engine, cheers, Darryl.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:38:17 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Hi Patrick , could you tell us what are the signs of the engine that indicate it being older than what the serial no. says. Very nice engine, cheers, Darryl.
Hi Darryl, the biggest thing that suggests it is an earlier engine is the crankcase. It is the early type casting with the indents in the side to allow for the pushrod gear and the water pump eccentric (on the portables). The only non-converted pushrod engine to have this style crankcase is No.226 (the flyball sideshaft Austral). It also has the low, thin sides only seen on early engines.
One of the other early features on this engine is the small pulley on the sideshaft side. It is the governor drive pulley used on the pushrod engines! Why it was left on a sideshaft conversion is a mystery. It has been put on the other side of the engine to where it would normally be mounted but it is still on the engine.

I now need to do some careful cleaning and see if there is evidence of the pushrod gear hole being filled and also look for an earlier number on the bearings. It is likely that it is an earlier engine but I will not be 100% convinced until I find some physical evidence. Either way it is a very original example of Ronaldson-Tippett's fine workmanship. Patrick

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Haskell View Post
Great addition to the collection Patrick. Do I see a larger shed in your future?
Not a bigger shed yet. I can still squeeze most of them into the space I have Patrick
Old 01-19-2015, 02:56:47 AM
Registered-II

That's excellent , can I ask, was it in a collection or in a factory basement or what? Thanks for the previous info .
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48:47 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
That's excellent , can I ask, was it in a collection or in a factory basement or what? Thanks for the previous info .
I purchased it off another collector who had owned it for a long time and did not have any history of its working life. The engine must have spent most of its working life inside to have so much original paint left on it. Patrick

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Another odd thing on this engine. All of the other engines I have seen with this style crankcase have the oil drain out this side. This has been plugged and a new drain drilled in the middle of the crankcase with a pipe threaded down through the sub base.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick M Livingstone For This Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 04:17:05 AM
Registered-I

do you think we will see this one running soon? also what are your intentions for it as in make a cart for it or have it on permanent display in your shed?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:42:17 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Woodruff View Post
do you think we will see this one running soon? also what are your intentions for it as in make a cart for it or have it on permanent display in your shed?
It would take very little to get it running apart from both flywheel hubs being damaged. It looks like it had run for some time with the flywheels in the state they are in but I don't think I will chance it. Once the flywheel issue is resolved it will probably make it to a few rallies but I think I will mount it on skids to save space in the garage and to preserve the stationary nature of the engine. Something like this would look good. This is the identical engine with the long air pipe and pushrod gear idents in the crankcase. Patrick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick M Livingstone For This Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 05:25:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,959 Times in 546 Posts

Hello Patrick,

Looks like the same engine as I posted in item 32 of the thread below.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...=140878&page=2

So is it a Crossley head or an Austral head on this engine, I can't see any difference between the two?

"I purchased it off another collector who had owned it for a long time and did not have any history of its working life."

What a shame the previous owner didn't have the full working history of the engine or where it came from. I am sure with your extensive Austral knowledge and information you will piece together the engines history.

Regards,
Wayne

www.bluefuel-whitesmoke.com