Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Another Austral Joins the Collection.

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 5562 times

Old 01-20-2015, 02:08:40 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Another Austral joins the collection.

Here I will go showing my total lack of knowledge on this topic.
Is it possible to repair the hubs by welding and then having them machined back to specs?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2015, 02:31:53 AM
Registered-III

If the flywheel hubs are cracked? is that the damage problem ?your better off casting new flywheels.
Rather than trying to weld cast which is difficult to do on large thick castings and highly dubious in regard to cracking again.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55:47 AM
Registered-I

hi i am certain that these are pictures of the same engine and this shows the damage to the hubs. one hub appears to be tied together with fencing wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	austral.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	216408   Click image for larger version

Name:	austral2.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	216409  
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12:02 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,881 Times in 1,040 Posts

There are detailed pics of the engine on my site at: http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myaustral824.html Both flywheels have ridden up over the keys and either this or someone trying to secure them again has damaged the hubs. The nearside one has the pushrod governor drive pulley and some wire holding it together and the far side one has a whole chunk missing and some extra metal hammered in. It may have been run this way in its working life which would have caused some of the damage. This problem is not uncommon on early Australs. The smaller horsepower sizes only used a single key where the larger engines used two. This problem was eliminated in 1917 when the smaller engines went to the split hub design. Repairing them is wishful thinking and they will either be replaced with some from a donor engine or new ones will be cast. For now the engine will have a good clean and be put aside as other projects (as well as family and work) have higher priority. Patrick
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick M Livingstone For This Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 06:05:38 AM
Registered-III

When you make new ones put two small radii in the corner of the gib head keyway in the flywheel this will lessen stresses on the corner of the keyway and lessen the chances of cracking again.
When you fit the gib heads put a small radii on the corresponding keys and fit the normal way, scrape to get a good tight key.
Many old flywheels had sharp corners as they did not know about stress raisers way back then only FEA and practical experience showed this up.

Also you can cast the flywheels in Nodular iron instead of grey iron as nodular is more crack resistant than grey, its a simple alteration of the mix when you melt the metal.
Nodular iron is sometimes called Speroidal graphite iron or SG iron it has similar vibration dampening properties to grey iron.
Cast iron is good in compression but poor in tension due to engine cycles it will go from tension to compression and back again many times as it runs and you cannot do much about that as energy is given and taken from the flywheel.
If it was a split hub i would recommend fitting and shimming the split in the hub so sub parts remain in compression, a certain level of crush is needed to keep it tight on the shaft.
If you broke it down to a free body spoke by spoke and you invisage forces acting and you will see forces add on split hubs without shims on sections of the hub.
anyway hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14:41 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Timms View Post
Hello Patrick, Looks like the same engine as I posted in item 32 of the thread below. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...=140878&page=2 So is it a Crossley head or an Austral head on this engine, I can't see any difference between the two? "I purchased it off another collector who had owned it for a long time and did not have any history of its working life." What a shame the previous owner didn't have the full working history of the engine or where it came from. I am sure with your extensive Austral knowledge and information you will piece together the engines history. Regards, Wayne www.bluefuel-whitesmoke.com
Hi Wayne, there is no documented connection between Crossley and Ronaldson-Tippett whilst it is well known that Ronaldson-Tippett based their sideshaft engines on those of Blackstone. I have no valuable opinion of the similarity between the head on a Crossley and that of a standard sideshaft Austral. I am told that my new engine is one that may have been recovered by your father many years ago. Do you have any recollection of its history prior to preservation? Apart from the flywheels (which would have been damaged in service) the engine appears to have been well looked after. Patrick
Old 01-20-2015, 07:51:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,710 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick M Livingstone View Post
There are detailed pics of the engine on my site at: http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myaustral824.html Repairing them is wishful thinking and they will either be replaced with some from a donor engine or new ones will be cast.
Hi Patrick.I guess you would be hoping to find some "low 3 digit" flywheels ?
Is the engine 5?..or 6hp?,and perhaps a diameter measurement?
It's not something I have personally,but I saw a set No.3##,(6 hp I think?) loaded onto a trailer here a few years back from a wreck;that sort of thing might find you?
I couldn't see myself handling a repair,but I have heard of a bulky 'sleeve with a boss' style insert being used for overkeyed hubs.A new casting can be reasonable, until the foundry realises how bad you need it.
I think the last 6 months or so might be a little better time to find a foundry willing to talk a better price?Certainly an interesting old engine!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54:26 PM
Registered-III

Hi Paul.
This is a bit of an oddball sized engine. The flywheels are 2ft 11" on a 2 & 3/16" crankshaft. The bore is 6" (the same as a 3.5hp/4hp) but the crankshaft is the same as my 5.5hp engine. The stroke is 13" which is more than the 3.5hp engine and the engine has a top air valve like the larger horsepower engines (the smaller engines have the air valve on the side).
I am still digging through comparing it with other engine dimensions, but my best guess at the moment is that it is a 4.5hp engine.
Patrick
Old 01-20-2015, 08:35:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,710 Times in 824 Posts

Thanks Patrick,2ft 11inches is really only coming up to about waist high,and seems smaller than I imagined at first.The early flywheels I saw here were certainly larger and were off a 6hp I think?Perhaps it is that top airvalve style that makes me think of it as a larger engine?
I see those early engines can vary widely in dimensions,and especially in your case I think where you suspect it was a factory remake of a much earlier number.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 02:53:35 AM
Registered-III

Now I have seen the pictures I too would be looking for replacements. If recasting id the final decision the info provided by Alastair Geddes is very interesting and broadens our views on what grade steel/iron is available now.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post: