Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Hornsby Akroyd Colour Scheme

this thread has 83 replies and has been viewed 6002 times

Old 10-15-2017, 02:32:18 AM
Registered

Default Hornsby Akroyd Colour Scheme

Hi Fellas
Does anyone know the correct colour scheme for a my Hornsby Akroyd engine pictured?
Including transporter of course.
Serial# 9663
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1483938997598.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	293569  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tranter For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2017, 03:10:05 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Hornsby Akroyd colour scheme

That shed needs more engines.
The Hornsby register Tom Lingard would be able to tell you and maybe more info on built dates etc
The Following User Says Thank You to Crossley Kid For This Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 03:19:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,710 Times in 824 Posts

Hi Tranter, I'm pretty sure that one should be maroon,and having the four wheels and steer axle plus lower turntable plate in red?The two large wheels in your pic might have been a fairly close match to the original at some stage?
'Exact' correct colour shades/tones etc I couldn't claim to know.
As far as my patchy understanding of original colours used from the factory goes there is some information around that shows that some engines(perhaps a majority of early units)were green,but I'm pretty sure that it was standardised with the maroon somewhere around the #5000 mark?
I have looked at quite a good number of H.A. portables,mostly #5000s onwards as well as two or three earlier,complete and wrecks etc while chasing information for a project of my own.
Your engine number encourages me to think that the governor is likely to be original to the engine.They only tried that sharp little lip at the top of the centre ball for 3 to 4 years.
My guess would have it very close to 1905?

Last edited by Paul Richardson; 10-15-2017 at 03:33:43 AM. Reason: more info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 05:14:39 AM
Registered-II

Paul,
I think you are close on the date, and I think that the early Acroyd Hornsby's were green, possibly 'Lincoln green' I know a lot of Hornsby's were given a maroon paint job after restoration. but I have reservations about that.

Maroon was a Hornsby colour but I don't know when it became standard. What I do know my 1908 Hornsby was painted rich Chocolate Brown. We did match the paint at the time and some how we found out that was the correct colour. The 1912 petrol Hornsby I have was painted green and this time we matched the colour to Lincoln green. Both engines had a lot of paint left, probably these days i may have left them as found.

What I know is what I have seen and I what I also know there is a lot of variation to what is believed to be fact

Merv
The Following User Says Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 05:45:48 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info Crossley Kid.
A lot of people would disagree with your first comment but!!! (I wouldn't)
That pic was taken just after construction of my workshop...(shed #3)
I think it was the first thing I rolled in there.

---------- Post added at 07:45:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23:03 PM ----------

Thanks for the info Paul and Merv... understand this type of discussion will always bring about some kind of debate, but it's good to have.
I have been in contact with Ray Hooley in the past but didn't have the mind to ask the question then,
Paul your smack on with the date!!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:17:00 AM
Registered-II

Hi Tranter

I have #10925 while it has a Richard Hornby plate looks the same as yours but I believe has never been painted since it left the factory. It has evidence of red wheels and small scraps of purplish brown or ?maroon on the engine and transporter. Time fades paint - so I have been skeptical of the red wheels and ford maroon idea which I have been hearing for years. Since when are maroon and red a good combo anyway?? No problem to me as I'm not going to paint mine

Pic of my engine before I built a shed around it

mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	084.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	293570  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michaely For This Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 10:43:06 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv C View Post
Paul,
I think you are close on the date, and I think that the early Acroyd Hornsby's were green, possibly 'Lincoln green' I know a lot of Hornsby's were given a maroon paint job after restoration. but I have reservations about that.

Maroon was a Hornsby colour but I don't know when it became standard. What I do know my 1908 Hornsby was painted rich Chocolate Brown. We did match the paint at the time and some how we found out that was the correct colour. The 1912 petrol Hornsby I have was painted green and this time we matched the colour to Lincoln green. Both engines had a lot of paint left, probably these days i may have left them as found.

What I know is what I have seen and I what I also know there is a lot of variation to what is believed to be fact

Merv
G'day Merv,
my comments are only aiming to relate to the question of what might be known about the particular model Hornsby portable in our thread topic.The family of surviving engines and wrecks that caught my attention a few years back were manufactured from 1900 onwards until the Akroyd patents expired in 1905.A quick look at our thread starters engine tells me that this group includes his engine.All of the portables that I have looked at in this group,unrestored/wrecks etc all show signs where evident of the same paint scheme.
I will include a pic of my own reason for taking a keen interest in the portables that were manufactured and shipped during that period.
My engine is primarily #6988,collected as a wreck minus complete transport.The transport pictured is my second adaption to this engine as the first one was beyond repair.
It has been moved closer towards parts completion with parts from #6516,#6518,#6248,#6986,#7014 plus parts from about 3 other unknown wrecks.All of these were 1900 onwards and all showing signs of the same maroon and red, some of it in very well preserved condition.
If Tranters engine was manufactured earlier than say the mid #5000 mark,or conversely was late enough to not be carrying the Akroyd patent I would be reluctant to offer a comment on the original colour.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1557326_1392565241021853_709291389_o.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	293579  

Last edited by Paul Richardson; 10-15-2017 at 08:02:18 PM. Reason: remove exesss bs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:28:50 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaely View Post
Hi Tranter
Time fades paint - so I have been skeptical of the red wheels and ford maroon idea which I have been hearing for years. Since when are maroon and red a good combo anyway?? No problem to me as I'm not going to paint mine anyway.
mike
It looks to be very complete and original Mike?There is a young bloke down this way has one that looks very similar.I don't think I would be talked into painting either.Not while it has a nice protective heritage coating of iron oxide that took a long time to get looking that good.
I'm thinking yours might be around an 8hp?
I think if my guessing game is close your wheels and axles are the same dimensions as my own and would interchange with mine?
Here is some 117 year old paint as you can see on one of my new wheels.The condition is somewhat sun bleached and faded,the paint being possibly leeched of a little of it's pigment and oil?I have seen this kind of remnant paint produce all kinds of shades from brighter cherry reds to soft pink on similar engines,due I think to each individual engine or wrecks environment and circumstances?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	293765  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:35:42 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Hornsby Akroyd Colour Scheme

Here is the wheel with a bit of water splashed on one spoke to try to give the colour a bit of life.I am told car wax is good for renovating and preserving remnant paint on old engines?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	293770  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 04:41:47 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
G'day Merv,
my comments are only aiming to relate to the question of what might be known about the particular model Hornsby portable in our thread topic.The family of surviving engines and wrecks that caught my attention a few years back were manufactured from 1900 onwards until the Akroyd patents expired in 1905.A quick look at our thread starters engine tells me that this group includes his engine.All of the portables that I have looked at in this group,unrestored/wrecks etc all show signs where evident of the same paint scheme.
I will include a pic of my own reason for taking a keen interest in the portables that were manufactured and shipped during that period.
My engine is primarily #6988,collected as a wreck minus complete transport.The transport pictured is my second adaption to this engine as the first one was beyond repair.
It has been moved closer towards parts completion with parts from #6516,#6518,#6248,#6986,#7014 plus parts from about 3 other unknown wrecks.All of these were 1900 onwards and all showing signs of the same maroon and red, some of it in very well preserved condition.
If Tranters engine was manufactured earlier than say the mid #5000 mark,or conversely was late enough to not be carrying the Akroyd patent I would be reluctant to offer a comment on the original colour.
G'day Paul,

I am not in a position to enter into a debate on Acroyd Hornsby's colours. I know people associate maroon and Hornsby's together. I do not know what engines should be painted what colour. I do think that with your experience you will be right in what you are saying

I have been looking again at Google photos and it is surprising how many early ones are painted green. I would wonder why, was that original colour? and of course There is no indications of serial numbers so they may not in the numbers bracket of the engine in question.

Hot bulb Hornsby's are not common here but the petrol ones are and are popular with collectors.

Merv