Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Hornsby Akroyd Colour Scheme

this thread has 83 replies and has been viewed 5989 times

Old 10-22-2017, 07:43:39 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Hornsby Akroyd Colour Scheme

I have source who will in all likelyhood have the answers we are seeking . I am surprised that he has not as yet joined this discussion . I will contact him and get his opinion........better still I hope he can join this group.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 05:00:14 AM
Registered-II

There is a very early Hornsby Acroyd S/n 1951 at Dardanup in WA. It is not a portable but it is a big engine.

Merv.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Australianenginephotos078.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	294181
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31:00 AM
Registered-II

Thank you Merv ,you have solved the mystery, that is the engine that saw at Busselton. I am sure it is a later engine than than the one owned by the Machinery Preservation Club of WA.............I remember that copper pipe work which I felt did not look right! However we now know where it is . I should get down to Dardenup .
Regarding the very early Girder model ,the story is that it was sold to someone in Queensland who at some stage moved to WA and then back to Q/land ....so as far as we know it is somewhere in the land of Banana's .
I feel that the engine that I saw at the SEC building foyer was a Hornsby but not an Akroyd ..............I will make a couple of phone calls .
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,710 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv C View Post
There is a very early Hornsby Acroyd S/n 1951 at Dardanup in WA. It is not a portable but it is a big engine.

Merv.

Attachment 294181
Gday Merv,that's certainly a picture worth sharing,thanks.
I have to admit at first glance I was cautiously in agreement with Winchester in assuming that this engine was likely to be a later build date than the other early green stationary model posted above in the previous picture in our thread.
I was a little bit surprised when I saw the low engine number you have provided with the picture though,and it was enough to stir me into action to go through a few old magazines here to see if I could find the W.A. Machinery Preservation Club engine so that I might compare the two numbers.
Somehow Merv,it appears that either in your own notes,or in the magazine article,the wrong engine number has been attributed to one of the the engines?
The T.O.M.M. article I have here on the Midlands Railway shed exhibit quotes it's subject as also being engine #1951.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:05:41 AM
Registered-III

Paul seems to be right, the Old Machinery club on their website state number 1951 for their engine.
Probably just a case of crossed numbers in the notebook, I know its happened to me a few times.

http://www.machinerypreservationclub...lery/pic1.html

Merv,
Is it out at the heritage park ?
I have been out there on one of their open days but don't recall seeing this engine !

I suppose I was getting dragged from pillar to post by the kids and must have been dragged right past it if it was there !
Old 10-23-2017, 01:43:18 PM
Registered-II

My apologies Paul and Inter Bloke,
Something went wrong with my recording of serial numbers.
You are correct 1951 is the number of the engine shown in Peter's and Ray's photos, and the my photo below as well. fortunately I had a photo of the display board.

The engine I photographed at the Dardanup Heritage Park was in a shed along with another big multi cylinder engine and it I remember right it was up a slight rise away from the main display buildings.

I would have noted the serial number of that engine, but no longer have it. It goes to show that if you photograph the engine you should also photograph the number where possible as well.

Having an interest in Hornsby's I like to record the serial numbers of all the Hornsby's I see and hear about.

Merv

Click image for larger version

Name:	Australianenginephotos018.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	294203
Old 10-24-2017, 07:02:49 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter Bloke View Post
Paul seems to be right, the Old Machinery club on their website state number 1951 for their engine.
Probably just a case of crossed numbers in the notebook, I know its happened to me a few times.

http://www.machinerypreservationclub...lery/pic1.html

Merv,
Is it out at the heritage park ?
I have been out there on one of their open days but don't recall seeing this engine !

I suppose I was getting dragged from pillar to post by the kids and must have been dragged right past it if it was there !
It was there Easter 2016 when I was last there, Graham. Pretty sure that one has a unique crank in it too being forged from a single piece of bar, but don't quote me on that.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14:39 AM
Registered-III

Speaking of things getting "crossed up" and verbally inaccurate I notice that Akroyd Stuart must have been very talented ! According to the Machinery preservation website he built "their" engine at the age of 12 ! I kind of think 1876 might be a touch early even for that engine. Yes I know it should be 1896, but it just shows what happens. A lot of people have probably noted it down and have been telling all and sundry about this VERY early engine !

Andrew,
I must get out there and check it out !
If there was an Akroyd around and I missed out on having a look you can bet I will try and make amends !
Hope to see you blokes soon, (maybe this weekend, not sure but hope to)

Graham
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,710 Times in 824 Posts

Graham,when you do get the chance to get down to Dardenup to check out that large Akroyd that Merv shared,i trust you will drop in here to this thread to tell us the details,about the engine number and horsepower?
Perhaps another photograph or two?.Please?
I'm going to go out on the limb a bit and guess that the horsepower on that one is 12.5?It's pretty big!,..if it's not 12.5 then I will say 16hp.
The engine number I am not so brave with,and it would be a bit of a science crossed with a shot in the dark.Another collector contacted me outside of the thread here the other day and gave me some information that I had not previously heard,about a phase in production just prior to 1900 where some engines around that time in the old or heavy style were referred to in some of the company records as 'revised' being the early 'heavy' style but having been upgraded to utilise some of the new technology being applied to the newer engines that were coming to be known as '1900 style' or 'improved' models.I had previously seen engines matching that description in lithographs in text books etc,and it had previously added some confusion to my own understanding of the models produced.Without going too deep into that story the governor shape tells me that it will be very unlikely to be later than 1901.
I am inclined to go with the recent advice on 'revised' models a little which would have it perhaps late in the #3000s?It still has it's mechanical oiler,which is usually a reason to think it's quite early(and earlier than my guesstimate),but then to balance that out there is no sign of the old style preheat setup.I can see some lugs and studs where the blower might have once lived,but there's a chance that it may have left the factory with a pressure lamp and minus the preheat blower and furnace?
I suppose you know where on the engine you might find the hp stamped?
Let us know please?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 07:58:59 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
I suppose you know where on the engine you might find the hp stamped?
Let us know please?
I will have a look when I can get to the heritage park, I am a bit miffed that it must have been there and I missed it !
THAT WON'T HAPPEN NEXT TIME !!

The Hornsby's I have seen have the HP stamped into the rear end edge of the cylinder, is there anywhere else they put the numbers other than the ID plate ?