Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Drought and Bushfire

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 2231 times

Old 08-18-2018, 07:18:13 PM
Registered-II

Default Drought and Bushfire

Yes well it annoys me that there has been very little reported in the West Australian media regarding the dire drought conditions and then the devastating bush fires in NSW and southern Queensland . It, apart from the sympathy that I have for all those concerned , has a particular interest as i will be traversing the same said areas in the forthcoming weeks . I may well be disappointed in what I remember as lush green hill sides of the NSW south coast and what may present it's self to my vision now.
I will say in conclusion that although the popular media here in WA seem to be oblivious to the plight of those of you in the affected area's there are some ,such as myself who wish you well.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2018, 07:33:12 PM
Registered-I

Thanked 1,358 Times in 310 Posts
Default Re: ''Drought and Bushfire''

My thoughts also to those who may be affected. Best wishes.

jayvee
The Following User Says Thank You to jayvee For This Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 07:40:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,715 Times in 932 Posts

Yes well....Thanks for thinking of the farmers Peter. It is quite bad for many.

It is easy to help those in need and our little town is going to be the place for a national telethon in the near future. Channel 9 I think it is.
It is quite gratifying to see people rallying behind the farmers in places like Brisbane. It's a shame all levels of government do not share the generosity many people, many who have never been to a farm or seen a cow, exhibit.

Many thanks to you for starting this thread.

Cheers Scott
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37:40 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Yes well it annoys me that there has been very little reported in the West Australian media regarding the dire drought conditions and then the devastating bush fires in NSW and southern Queensland . It, apart from the sympathy that I have for all those concerned , has a particular interest as i will be traversing the same said areas in the forthcoming weeks . I may well be disappointed in what I remember as lush green hill sides of the NSW south coast and what may present it's self to my vision now.
I will say in conclusion that although the popular media here in WA seem to be oblivious to the plight of those of you in the affected area's there are some ,such as myself who wish you well.
I have to refute this. It has been widely covered here and
loads of feed have been sent over with lots of fund raising and awareness. However, when the north eastern wheatbelt was in serious drought some years back not even the politicians over Canberra would acknowledge it. It was up to farmers around the state here to send them feed. Now that annoyed me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04:23 PM
Registered-I

I dunno which news Winchester has or hasn't been watching, but it's been on the news weekly. ABC radio was all over the relief convoy that went over last week. Reminded me of the Slim song "Flood of 95"

With three 1-in-100-year droughts in the last 20 years perhaps it's looking like climate change is going to turn land that was already reliant on favorable seasons to unworkable. Shame the Nationals (the "rural" party) helped their mates take an axe to the CSIRO and other science funding, when it's innovation and adaptation that will keep marginal land productive in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyNumbat For This Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23:34 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,090 Times in 749 Posts

We've had some pretty bad ones over here too sadly a few have lost their life
Old 08-19-2018, 06:24:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,195 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNumbat View Post
ABC radio was all over the relief convoy that went over last week. Reminded me of the Slim song "Flood of 95"

With three 1-in-100-year droughts in the last 20 years perhaps it's looking like climate change is going to turn land that was already reliant on favorable seasons to unworkable.
Lets not start on the climate change nonsense and the ABC that is rather questionable with its self proclaimed "unbiased and impartial" reporting, every second comment on ABC radio has the words climate change or Donald Trump, unbiased and impartial?? more like fake news.
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 02:04:29 AM
Registered-II

Yes well I would repeat there was very little coverage of the bushfires on the NSW south coast.
The drought has been well and truly covered ................A friend in Bega lost their house , I have friends in Gerroa again not much coverage . However if you are interested in the left wing ABC ?
A good case for replacement and tempory housing using Seatainers
Old 08-20-2018, 02:26:34 AM
Registered

I see a large convoy of trucks arrived in the east coast in the last few days, from Western Australia, loaded full of relief hay for the east coast farmers. That was a massive effort and a huge well done to them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Rose For This Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 04:57:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,715 Times in 932 Posts

Hello all
There was talk about cancelling the Warwick Rodeo due to the drought. There's simply not enough close by healthy cattle that's needed to run the Warwick Gold Cup campdraft and the rest of the events at the rodeo.
The Warwick Rodeo is arguably the biggest rodeo in Australia and the Warwick Gold Cup is the biggest campdraft in Australia. It would be the first time either event have been cancelled (except for WWII) in it's history of over 100 years.

Cheers Scott