Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Pump Designer on Drugs

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 1758 times

Old 10-07-2018, 05:24:18 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Pump designer on drugs

The designer didn't know about cavitation, drag and hasn't looked at anyone else's impeller design in my opinion.
I just keep thinking , WHY ?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2018, 05:38:17 AM
Subscriber

Well they sold at least one, so you would guess it must've worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieIron For This Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 06:25:07 AM
Registered-III

From the look of your photos it "looks" like the "arms" of the impeller are sealed front and rear making a "tube", any liquid that made its way into the center and was forced out the end should be traveling at the fastest possible speed, so my "guess" is its someone's idea of how to build a high pressure low volume centrifugal pump, maybe an early firefighting design. I think looking at it there were better ways to go but designers have tried and modified things as long as there have been designers !

Interesting old pump even if we don't know its actual use !
Old 10-07-2018, 06:42:23 AM
Registered-II

It was a very early cow shed washdown pump so it was a pressure pump but was fed from an overhead tank so was flood primed . I know this because Dad told me when i was a kid, and the cow shed is still there, where he bought it from ,with a modern cow shed built next to it but the tank is still there.
The pump was never used by Dad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 06:47:48 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
It was a very early cow shed washdown pump so it was a pressure pump but was fed from an overhead tank so was flood primed .
That all fits quite nicely !
I hope you do something with it and a couple of those photos on a "brag board" at a show would be quite interesting, I haven't ever seen anything like it and I have seen a lot of pumps !
Old 10-07-2018, 07:56:17 AM
Registered-I

Hydraulic "engines" or motors were in use at one stage. This looks more like an hydraulic motor than a pump. Could it be that it was fed by the overhead tank and drove a separator? I know John Abraham of Ballarat made some hydraulic engines to drive small dynamos.
Hugh
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23:43 AM
Registered-I

while it looks a bit like a motor design to me,
2 reasons i believe it is not actually a motor, even though it probably would work as one,

firstly it comes with known history, oral history, in spite of oz storytelling practise, still a first class starting point,

second, if it was intended to be a motor, the obvious effort which has gone in to the design shows some thought and hopefully (hopeful?) logic, which tells me the designer should have known enough to think to put the impellor (expellor) outlet slots on the 'trailing' side of the tubes, not the sides, to help add 'radial side push' turning force as water is forced through.
unless of course the side v-slots were added by the user as an aftermarket improvement.

if i had designed this pump, i would have made the ends with 45 degree cut, open towards the direction of travel, to help the rotor 'push' the water along more, and conversely, if i had wanted it to be motor, i would have put 45 degree cuts facing 'backwards' so the water pressure pushed the rotor.

are you sure it hasn't got a means of turning the rotor pipes around so the slots can face different directions depending on what you want to use it for????

when you get it going, its gunna need a few pressure gauges on the pipes to show us what it can do, as well a couple different types of fire hose nozzles.

does our insurance cover damage to smartphones caused by water escaping the display compound fencing?

cheers Rod.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:49:20 AM
Subscriber

maybe a chopper pump for some solids
Old 10-07-2018, 03:50:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,705 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyt View Post
when you get it going, its gunna need a few pressure gauges on the pipes to show us what it can do, as well a couple different types of fire hose nozzles..
I found a really nice old brass vacuum/pressure gauge a fair while ago. Every time I look at it on the dash of the old Pajero I keep saying to myself I have to do something with that. I've been meaning to mount it on the sucking side of one of the old pumps just for fun. A pressure gauge on the outlet.....vacuum on the sucker. I've always curious about things such as how much extra suck a pump can create.

Cheers Scott
Old 10-07-2018, 04:17:24 PM
Registered-II

The v slots are worn into the tubes from rubbing on the faceplate.
I think hydraulic motors are fed from the outer side of the " impeller" to exert the main energy onto the biggest diameter and then be expelled through the center. It might work with pressure from the center but i dont think so.