Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

All in the fight against doing myself injuries

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 1629 times

Old 11-30-2018, 04:19:46 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,715 Times in 932 Posts
Default All in the fight against doing myself injuries

Hello all
I'm getting old and my body seems to be not so forgiving doing hard yakka any more. My hands are buggered, one knee was done last year and early next year I have to have the holes where my guts are hanging out fixed up. So enough is enough. Life wasn't meant to be so painful so I've been working towards making my hobby a bit easier on my body for the last few years. One thing that is on the list was a bobcat to move things around and it would be handy on the farm. Moving heavy things was a must.
We haven't got the bobcat yet but we picked up a little forklift at the scrappies in Brisbane to do some lifting. I thought it was the forklift they used in the yard but I noticed it hadn't been moved since I'd first noticed it. So I asked. That was a Wednesday and it was going to be cut up on Thursday. Champion. He's a little Komatsu electric jobby. He's only 7 years old and done under 6,000 hours. He had no batteries (already cut out) but they drove it off the tilt tray so what could I lose?
Bugger it...we'll buy it.
So when I got Frank home I chucked some truck batteries (also from scrappy) in him and away he went. What a corker.
The best thing is, with only 4 truck batteries, Frank has about an hour running time so he can't go far. How good is that as an excuse when someone wants to borrow him? He'll be handy when the sheds go up too I suppose.

What have you brought/made/acquired to make your hobby easier on your body?

Cheers Scott

As Frank was found waiting for the gas axe

Home on the farm

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2018, 04:39:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,748 Posts
Default Re: All in the fight against doing myself injuries

She's a beauty Scotty. Years ago I took to using the heck out of an electric truck winch to do my heavy work. Work smarter not harder!
Doc
Old 11-30-2018, 05:44:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,195 Times in 790 Posts

Well indeed I haul engines with the mighty Howard 2000, it's the high speed model with disc brakes for added safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	323693   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	323694  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 07:28:50 AM
Subscriber

I have reached the point in life to where I can't pick up 20# any more. I have this I bought about 10 years back. It was a fixer upper that did service in New Orleans when Catrina went through. One drive motor and the pump had to be rebuilt. After using it 6 mos. the engine had to be rebuilt. The bucket was rebuilt. The grabber is home built. A set of forks is home built. I have an overhead crane in my sbop that covers my entire shop that is home built. I have 4 different elevators and stair climbers to get me where I need to be around my buildings. I have a 36 volt electric scooter to get me where I got to go faster than I ever could walk. I should be sit'n in a rocker on the front porch watching the traffic go by. But I am still out in my shop ( heated with wood) doing what I have always done - being a productive member of society trying to keep out of the grave.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181023_163748.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	323695   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_135539.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	323696  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to b7100 For This Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:37:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,314 Times in 595 Posts

That's a nice looking forklift Scott. Make sure the ground is solid, they like to get stuck easy!
I have a Case skidsteer loader. It serves two purposes, lifting as well as digging. It sure comes in handy and is a back saver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170407_125026.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	323701  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:00:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,082 Times in 509 Posts

I collect mostly smaller but early engines and my collection is in my basement. The engines that I put on the shelves by myself 10 to 15 years ago are too heavy for me now. I bought a small hand operated fork lift. It is rated at 400 lbs and takes up the space of a slightly larger floor dolly. I can use the forks or put the bar on top to attach a strap also can use that flat top that you see setting at the bottom. I then made a set of rails to sit on the stairs leading out of the basement. I made a dolly that gets hooked up to a electric winch that raises and lower my engines from/to the basement. Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02907.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	323705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02908.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	323706  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 12:04:42 PM
Subscriber

Hey Scotty2 - a little off subject but when you flush your toilet does the water spin clockwise or counterclockwise? I heard a rumer that down under it goes counterclockwise.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:19:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,715 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumaturge View Post
She's a beauty Scotty.
Doc
Hello Doc.
Thanks to those who told us about how they lift stuff. I thought I was flash as a rat with a gold tooth when we got the pallet jack but Frank is a whole lot better. I can sit on Frank and drive. The pallet jack is limited to the concrete. Frank was a whole lot cheaper then the pallet jack too. Scrap is worth about $90 a ton to buy apparently. I thought he was worth buying simply for the battery charger and hydraulic rams. I thought I could make a pretty decent magneto magnetiser out of the charger seeing mine was borrowed, never to be seen again, and the rams would be handy for one project or another if nothing else.
Frank won't be able to lift the rated 1,800 kg as the batteries acted as a counter balance. I tried him on the V8 Perkins and the genset and the forks kept going up the mast, the back of Frank lifted as well. We'll be happy if he picks up 750-1,000kgs with the truck batteries. Been able to lift about 6m will be handy in putting stuff like the smaller engines and parts on pallet racking. Frank's side shift will be handy putting stuff up. Frank will effectively give us more usuable floor space in the shed. That'll be good. The pallet jack simply won't do that.

Franks a shocker on rough ground as the mast has about 40mm of clearance if the mast is tilted right back and closer to 10mm tilted forward, but I've had him down to the hayshed and back up. No problems as it's dry as. The hayshed and Perkins can be seen in the background in the picture below.
Having the small smooth tyres is also a bit of a drawback but Frank will, more then likely, just do his job in the shed lifting and moving stuff. A bobcat is still on the shopping list next year. In the mean time if Frank gets stuck we can get Freddy the Ford 3000 out. If he gets real stuck then we invite the neighbour over for smoko. He'll come in his big tractor which will either pluck Frank out or turn him into a plow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kunz View Post
I have a Case skidsteer loader. It serves two purposes, lifting as well as digging. It sure comes in handy and is a back saver.
That is the sort of machine we'll be after. An open cab without AC to stuff up. We'll be looking for an older machine without all the electronics. We have a bit of fencing to do so the aux. hydraulics and bucket will be handy.

a little off subject but when you flush your toilet does the water spin clockwise or counterclockwise? I heard a rumer that down under it goes counterclockwise
It's true. It's called the coriolis effect. I wonder which way it goes on the equator?

Cheers Scott

The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 05:26:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,195 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kunz View Post
That's a nice looking forklift Scott. Make sure the ground is solid, they like to get stuck easy!
They do get stuck easy even with pneumatic's fitted, this Cat 6000 lbs is not so bad with the wide wheels but still gets stuck constantly, it will also pick up very much more that its rating making it pretty useful for the larger lifts around here, the old forks will lift more than their rated load capacity that's for sure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fork.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	323727  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:56:02 PM
Registered-I

" I wonder which way it goes on the equator? "

a few years ago friends of ours told us about seeing this when they went to Africa,
they were quite amazed it 'worked' when only a few feet away from the 'equator'.
sounded feasable to me, 'seeing is believing' etc,
but it is not so simple, if you believe this lot:

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-th...er-flow.t6518/

most toilets ive watched go down with a 'flushing' action rather than a 'swirling' action.

if what the debunk guys say is right,
it would depend on which direction the inlet pipe was 'off-centre'.

totally agree that forklifts are one of the biggest time and labour savers around,
also agree they are very good at going down with any 'off-road' action.

a couple years ago we did a vintage truck run, and were able to rescue a vintage forklift,
which the Denmark Restoration Group guys had tested the limits of.
mobile skyhook labour-saver proved better than a direct tow.

cheers Rod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dmrg-2015aug-hysterbog1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	323737   Click image for larger version

Name:	dmrg-2015aug-hysterbog7.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	323738  
The Following User Says Thank You to rodneyt For This Post: