Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

All in the fight against doing myself injuries

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 1623 times

Old 11-30-2018, 10:30:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,761 Times in 2,270 Posts
Default Re: All in the fight against doing myself injuries

Coriolis in the dunny or toilet. *Or in a test is it how you pour it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2XN0equt8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMZjssrAlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvaWWr_7GU
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31:27 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,705 Times in 929 Posts

Hello all
Crikey....lucky the mobile skyhook was around when the forklift went down Rod. They are handy bits of gear those mobile skyhooks. A good friend of ours has a doozy and here's Freddy getting ready for a road trip.

Also I remembered about this old girl. It's a Cranvel Sputnik tow behind back hoe that a really nice chap in Stanthorpe converted to be a bit of a yard crane. It's got a side valve Ford V8 in it.

Here's a trailer I built years ago to cart the ride-on mower about. It's also handy for carting smaller engines to rallies. It has a removeable braked winch on the front, the tray tilts and it's low to the ground. It's just a matter of dropping the ramps, pulling the pins for the tilt and off the engines go or dropping the ramps, pull the pins for the tilt and wind them on. It works quite well without the need to struggle or straining.
When it's used as a mower trailer, we drive the mower up the tilted bed and the bed comes down when we're up far enough. It's a matter of hopping off and putting the tilt pins back in.
It's actually an experiment for a larger trailer I want to build. So far the experiment works well.

Cheers Scott

Last edited by Scotty 2; 12-01-2018 at 04:53:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:19:34 AM
Registered-III

Frank N. Stein looks good Scotty.

Each visit to the scrappies pick up a lump of steel and take it back with you and tack weld it in place. Slowly you will get back the counterbalance effect. Even with new LAR (low aspect ratio) tyres which is on the front of Frank the tread pattern is not really too luggy and wont give the bite you need for off road work except in the dry.

For me I use the big winch on Lorry when something might "fail to proceed" or in the case of Humpty no weight over the drive wheels and no traction so he gets dragged up the ramps.
Pre Lorry I fitted an engine lift crane on the draw bar of the box trailer which then allowed me to put the aluminium ramps away in the shed for a better use. (not found one as yet, but I'm patient).

Scotty how do he wheels on your trolleys fit the ramps? The ramps look wider than the wheel tracks.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:59:02 AM
Registered-II

I kept my forklift after I sold up, it is a three ton Hyster. I have some pallet racking where I keep some unrestored stuff. The shed where my engines are is not high enough for useful pallet racking but I do have some in it. I do have lots of space.

I have a lot of engines on a base that I can use with the fork lift. When I go to a rally I put them on a trolley and then I can winch them on and off my trailer. All my big engines are portable and I can move by lifting them under the steering axle and put them where I want them.

I found out years ago that big engines were easier to handle because you had to have lifting equipment like a forklift.

Merv
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 05:04:47 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
Scotty how do he wheels on your trolleys fit the ramps? The ramps look wider than the wheel tracks.
They slide in and out or can be taken right off. When they're slid together in the middle there is about a 125mm gap between them. You can kinda see it in this picture if you close your left eye and squint with your right.

We have a bit of pallet racking already Merv. But it's in the old dairy and it's not accessible with Frank. When we get the big shed up it'll all be moved. 3 shelves will save an enormous amount of floor space I reckon.

Cheers Scott

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 09:18:20 AM
Subscriber

This thing is magic! Forgive the mess Iíd only just finished putting it on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC91CB44-3D61-488C-8509-5910C8111FB2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	323747

Name:	46AAFDCC-0F5F-42E0-AEE7-5A3868C53A1B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	323748

Name:	D3A8A1BB-843C-41B9-9DA3-68962AA229D4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	323749
Old 12-01-2018, 09:28:08 AM
Subscriber

Photo Re: All in the fight against doing myself injuries

I got a mast off of a walk behind lift and made it a 3 point attachment. It will lift 4000 lbs to 132" high, but too much for the little Bota. I also made a set of forks for the front bucket.
The inside lift is some pallet rack beams welded up w/ a Harbor Freight hoist on trolley.
I'm still dreaming of making a small mobile lift for the shows to unload and load when there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lift.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	323750   Click image for larger version

Name:	lift1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	323751  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 04:59:14 PM
Registered-III

Hello Tim.
What were you trying to catch to have a miss that left the net up there?

Nice setup with the truck Mr E27. The compressor under would be handy in the field. I see Palfinger and the like make fairly good sized 12V cranes. The little PC 1500 or 2700 would be handy on the back of the ute I have to pick up. I can dream
Is the crane you fitted electric Mr E27? I just can't make out what's on the end of the oil tank.

So far engines and the like have been discussed after they've been put on a trolley or something to make loading easy. How do you pickup engines and lumps of cast iron in the wild? Mr E27 is set. So far we've been lucky as the vast majority of in the wild finds have had skids of some description under them. I just winch them up the ramps and on. With the ones without skids I've usually resorted to taking the engine crane with me, lifting the chunk of iron and backing the trailer under. It works OK for small stuff but I still have to get the engine crane on and off the trailer. When I use the little trailer room can be a problem if the recovered iron doesn't fit between the legs of the engine crane.

Laundry tubs and the like are better then the dunny bowl to watch the coriolis effect. We just don't have enough water in the bottom of the bowl for the effect to be effective. I think you blokes in the US have a pretty full bowl where we have a fairly empty bowl. Our flushes only use a small amount of water as well. About 12-14 litres max isn't it?

Cheers Scott
Old 12-01-2018, 05:34:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,761 Times in 2,270 Posts

A lot of new toilets in the us and can are 3.8 litres per flush. Sometimes it takes a couple hits if a python sized load gets lodged in them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 07:10:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
Hello Tim.
What were you trying to catch to have a miss that left the net up there?

Nice setup with the truck Mr E27. The compressor under would be handy in the field. I see Palfinger and the like make fairly good sized 12V cranes. The little PC 1500 or 2700 would be handy on the back of the ute I have to pick up. I can dream
Is the crane you fitted electric Mr E27? I just can't make out what's on the end of the oil tank.

So far engines and the like have been discussed after they've been put on a trolley or something to make loading easy. How do you pickup engines and lumps of cast iron in the wild? Mr E27 is set. So far we've been lucky as the vast majority of in the wild finds have had skids of some description under them. I just winch them up the ramps and on. With the ones without skids I've usually resorted to taking the engine crane with me, lifting the chunk of iron and backing the trailer under. It works OK for small stuff but I still have to get the engine crane on and off the trailer. When I use the little trailer room can be a problem if the recovered iron doesn't fit between the legs of the engine crane.

Laundry tubs and the like are better then the dunny bowl to watch the coriolis effect. We just don't have enough water in the bottom of the bowl for the effect to be effective. I think you blokes in the US have a pretty full bowl where we have a fairly empty bowl. Our flushes only use a small amount of water as well. About 12-14 litres max isn't it?

Cheers Scott
Hey Scotty,

The truck is an ex turf management company truck so the compressor was already on it, I just serviced it and put new rubber mounts on it. It needs a hose reel though. What you canít see in the pics is the full width hyd bi-fold ramp at the back and the 17000lb ( yes three zeros) winch behind the crane, it pulled that Hart Parr I had pics up of with ease.

Crane is a WA made Kevrek 1500, good for 1.25 t and 375kg @ 5 m full hyd slew and extension except for the last metre which is manual. Powered by a 12v powerpack under the tray, kevrek have a manual spool valve with built in switching so you can feather the controls.

Cheers Andrew