Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Motorcycles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Motorcycles All about finding and fixing old motorcycle engines and vintage bikes.

Antique Motorcycles

Harley Sacreligion

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 7175 times

Old 10-06-2014, 11:33:20 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Harley Sacreligion

Last of the day. I'm supposed to be working.
Here you can see the cams in the chest. The thing I'm holding is the tach drive. This will be replaced by a morris magneto. If you are familiar with mid 70's sporsters you will recognize the #4 exhaust cam. I am starting out with P cams. Depending on the spring rate for the atmospheric valves. We should be close to the right overlap. When thinking about this engine, timing has proven to be the most complex (too much math) to understand. Then even after all the advice from truly smart men and formulas it is still unknown if it will work?! Theorhetically, we are in the ball park. Here is one that required a lot of thinking. . . Did you notice the cams are not positioned in a parrallel line in the case? The pushrods are equal length. How is this? Now I know I left out some information but, I did scratch my head thinking about it for a while.
The other pic is bits and scraps from the cases.

I started to make the cam cover. Yep, cut up another perfectly good HD part.

I am only using my die grinder and dremel right now. When I get everything rough shaped, I will take them to the shop and clean and true on the bridgeport. I only have limited after hours access Then more hand work and on to the cnc.

more coming soon. . .

rodney
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00774.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	207917   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00780.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	207918  
The Following User Says Thank You to RDub For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2014, 11:42:31 AM
Registered-III

Hey Oldstuff- I better be done by Feb doesn't riding season start after Valentines Day? In reality that would be awesome. I am making the frame for this thing too. . . then the whole sorting it out thing. If I'm lucky it'll get ridden by late season next year.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:20:53 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Harley Sacreligion

Just a quickie on the frame. These pictures are of a wall hanger bike frame. This is a pre-war HP Evans (Rollfast). I'm using this bike as the basic design for my bike. Obviously, I will need to make many changes to fit my fat a$$, the motor and style I want. The other pictures are the sandblasted '75 Sportster frame. This frame was chopped probably sometime in the mid to late 80's. I'm guessing that based on the style of the bike and parts that were on it.
I am currently debating selling this frame as a rolling chassis. With all the changes to be made, I may be better off just starting from scratch. The only reason I am hesitant is This frame is straight and true. I can modify this one and keep it true. I'm not as confident of my jig on a complete build. I know my thinking is flawed here. If the jig is good enough to do the one it should be good enough for the other. Just one of those quirky things.
I'm hoping to work on the motor cases this weekend. My big problem is I just bought a really cool two push rod Jacobsen that I want to play with this weekend. I am also in the middle of a restoration of an old Lombard saw which is close to being done. No rest for the wicked. Or in our case the 'afflicted'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00784.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	208129   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00785 (1).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	208130   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00786.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	208131  
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,542 Posts

Perhaps of interest:

Whatever style you choose; GO FOR IT!
Doc
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaumaturge For This Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38:46 PM
Registered-III

I managed to not mess with the Jacobsen this weekend! I still didn't get much done on this bike. A friend and I went on a hunt for junk based on stuff we had been told. We left at noon. I told my wife I'd be home by dark. We found the place. This guy has been scrapping for 40 years according to him. Some good stuff if you get past the junk. I called my wife at dark to tell her I was heading for home. I was an hour and a half away. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of shop time. I did manage to get the cams and pinion set with bushings attached. From there, I made some cardboard and tape enclosures. I will make patterns from this mock-up. Then I will cut out my pieces and begin welding everything in place. I also made a template for my motor plate.
The magneto is mounted towards the back of the motor. I had planned on putting it to the front. When it was mocked-up I didn't like it. Everything looked more balanced with the Mag in the rear. I'm open to critiques on this portion of the build.

Sorry, I'll post the pictures in the a.m.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Hey Doc, Can you imagine all the different skill sets required to build the bike in your post? Not my style at all but it has a beauty all its own. Thanks for the photo!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20:09 AM
Registered-III

Here are the pictures as promised. What are your opinions on the look of this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00798.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	208491   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00801.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	208492   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00800.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	208493  
Old 10-18-2014, 02:04:30 PM
Registered-III

looks good to me. Thanks for sharing this project with us. I built a 500cc single and am working on a 1000 cc twin. Building an engine and bringing it to life is very addicting so have fun and keep us up to date with your project please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Guinn For This Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 07:39:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDub View Post
Hey Doc, Can you imagine all the different skill sets required to build the bike in your post? Not my style at all but it has a beauty all its own. Thanks for the photo!
Nothing the average blacksmith, wood millwright, foundry, machinist and leather worker couldn't do.
Glad you like the pic, supposedly the FIRST official motorcycle.
Doc
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaumaturge For This Post:
Old 10-29-2014, 06:44:57 PM
Registered-III

Progress is being made. I am having a shop make the tubes for the frame. I sold the other frame and am starting from scratch. The shop I'm using has a CNC Bender?! I had to laugh when he asked me how precise the tubes needed to be. My 'precise' and the machinists 'precise' are different. I made templets for my tubes with some 3/4" x 1/8" wall stock. I should have the tubes next week. This shop is also making the head stem for me. I will show the pictures when I get them back. This is not the machine shop I'm 'borrowing' to do my motor btw.
Still working on the cam chest. Made two succesful shallow bends of T6061. The third piece is giving me fits. It has the least amount of radius of the three pieces. Now, before you tell me I can't bend 6061. I know I can't! But I have The only reason I used this material is it was available and free. (scraps). I'm hoping to have some pictures soon.
Just posted so you didn't think I disappeared or flaked out. (both of which I'm adept at doing!).

rodney
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21:04 PM
Registered-III

Rodney have you got your engine running yet. Spring is getting close. How about some pictures of your progress.