Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4207 replies and has been viewed 277007 times

Old 02-08-2013, 12:55:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,808 Times in 4,220 Posts
Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

If you use that 2 part paint (isocynate?? something), use a freash air supply for breathing . It will seal your lungs in one use, think needing oxygen tanks for life.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01:19 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
If you use that 2 part paint (isocynate?? something), use a freash air supply for breathing . It will seal your lungs in one use, think needing oxygen tanks for life.
I've heard some serious horror stories about 2 part paint. One was a guy painting clearcoat after work. The crew came in the next morning and found him firmly glued to the hood, face down ... dead .

I'm using catalyzed 2 part epoxy primer. For epoxy primer and paint I paint outdoors and I wear a mask.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08:24 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,064 Posts

for any of the 2 part epoxys or isocyanurates , you should be wearing a supplied air respirator with outside air source. they are deadly as noted above.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00:00 PM
Registered-III

The 2 part stuff is real nasty to your lungs. Did touch up work with just a little in a shot glass and paint bursh outside, annoying smell finally put on a carcoal mask, weasing for 2 weeks.
Painted my 1/4 of my car in garge, used 50 foot swiming pool hose, blower, and mask for positive pressure fresh air. That sickly sweat stuff also attracts moths and mosquitoes to paint , like flypaper. Paint in cool fall, less bugs on paint.

Meant to say,,,,,,, paint in cool/cold weather, like now for us in north, ( when there less bugs with wings).
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34:38 AM
Subscriber

Exclamation Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

I know you guys are right, and you've got me thinking: maybe I won't use two part paint to do my truck. It's dangerous, expensive and it's hard to clean out of my gun. Maybe I'll use something a little safer and easier.
I'm not a painter, but I get by. My body and paint buddy claims that my spray painting ability is evidence that I'm a mechanic and I make things run, including paint.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lokay5 For This Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,437 Posts

Last night went to visit my 305 cck at my inlaws. I had put the new diagphram in the fuel pump a couple of weeks ago. Ran it for about an hour while snow blowing the driveway. No gas in the oil. It did take along time to prime. I usually run it out of gas and it will pull a prime in no time. I have a clear filter on it and I can watch it fill. I had to pull the rubber boot off the carb and put my hand over the top of the carb to get it to pull fuel. Once it strted it ran fine. Choke was closed when I pulled the rubber boot. Ill try in another week. Maybe tank is closed to empty.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19:19 PM
Registered

Tryin to id.. runs perfect . Makes power. Bought yesterday off craigs..guy wanted 150. We agreed on 110.00.... on my way to my cabin in woods... gonna put her to the test... hopefully gonna run for 24+hours straight..lol. wish me luck!

Onan -not oh man!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45:00 PM
Registered-III

lokay...... even a charcoal mask is not good enough for that 2 part paint, it doesn't remove the fumes . Before it came out they used standard ~1 inch thick charcoal filter like we all used for laqueur paint. Guy I knew painted a car with it and standard mask, had breathing problems rest of his life, eventually needed oxygen. Then they went with double thickness filters but wasn't good enough, now they call out a independent fresh air supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,432 Posts

well it warmed up today in pa. so i got the CCKB 10.0 -4r out and i started degreasing sheet metal and got the good ole Dawn grease detergent and real hot water and with a rag started washing the sheet metal . covers etc. starting to look better . careful not to get any water in the generator. takes a lot of elbow grease .
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58:38 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,011 Posts

BE BRAVE, BE BOLD!
Strip all the sheet metal off, spray the engine down with degreaser & take it to the car wash for a good bath. You do have to be careful not to get water into the gen-end or control box, I will sometimes use masking tape to seal the control box a little. As soon as you are done, open both & pull the cover off the points box & blow out any stray water that finds its way in anyway. I then set a fan to blow into the gen-end to dry any moisture that is left, this will work best in a “warm” environment. I will admit you have to be careful & not get carried away. I also do not run them for about 24 hours, giving the fan time to dry them out. I usually change the oil again before I run the unit much, the first oil change gets the “unknown” stuff out of the crank case, then running for a while with fresh oil cleans up what is left. For what it costs to change the oil in a CCK a couple of times, it is cheap insurance.

I have done this with most every unit I have. I usually make sure they run first, then clean them up good before I do much work on them. It sure makes working on them more pleasant, when you are not covered in grease every time you touch it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post: