Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Current Propane Tank Lease Info

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 793 times

Old 10-10-2017, 06:59:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,507 Times in 964 Posts
Default Re: Current Propane Tank lease info

Well now.

You only fill a propane tank to 80% of capacity. A 100 gallon tank should only be filled with 80 gallons. Once below 20% you should fill it for a coupe of reasons.

To properly size a tank......... Not so much as to how much gas you think you will use in a year but a whole lot more as to the lowest temperature you will be using the gas at. All about the surface area in the tank and the ability to boil off a sufficient amount of propane to maintain enough pressure to keep your engine running. Also the regulator and piping (lines) must be sized right of you will run into grief. A real disappointment to have a working genset, lights go out due to an ice storm, you fire it up, all is good for a couple of hours and when it gets real cold, it sputters to a stop. You go look and find the regulator and the lines frosted. Size it all right and all will be good all the way down to -30 F, don't size it right and it might not work even at +50 F.
Got a call to a poultry operation many years ago when this happened. The electrician who installed the system sized the tank way too small, top 1/3 of the tank, the regulator and the line to the genset frosted with at least 3/4" of ice on it. Explained to the owner what happened and why, the electrician showed up and came up with a fix. He drug over a bunch of brush and pallets and built a fire under the propane tank. I warned them that they were about to really screw up, left and about 15 minutes later heard on the scanner that the fire department was on their way.

As previously mentioned, propane never does bad. Get the largest tank you can afford, fill it when the price is down (spring/summer) and enjoy. They even build tank designed to be buried, which also figures in the size of the tank you will need.

Been some years but pretty sure the Onan gaseous fuel manual explains all that. Need to figure your anticipated fuel consumption, and lowest expected temperature. That will determine the tank size, you can safely go larger but do not go smaller, then size your regulator(s) and your line size which will be determine by the length of the distance you will be running the line. You have options there. Personally, I'd use a regulator at the tank to drop tank pressure to no less than 10 psi, take it all the way to the genset with the correclty sized pipe and there take it down to 7 to 11" wc.
Or liquid with drawl. Bring propane from the tank all the way to the genset in in a liquid state and feed it to a vaporizor where it gets turned into a gaseous state for the engine to use.

A couple of pluses and minus for anyway you want to do it but bottom line, do it right and it'll work fine or you will probably be cold, wet in the dark and disappointed.

Me, I prefer diesel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 07:17:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,233 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
...I prefer diesel.
OT, but me too. When they make propane that can be transported with a plastic trash can and a pickup truck (don't ask), I'll consider a change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:10:38 PM
Email NOT Working

Noty to get off topic (as this is my original thread) but how do you guys store Diesel. All I have ever heard is how water is an enemy of diesel and how it is almost un-preventable to keep it out. That coupled with the Algae issue (or non -issue)

I have a 50 gal diesel tank that I would like to fill while prices are lower. My problem is that I don't have any other diesel equipment to use it with. No trucks, tractors or other equipment. Just a 6.0 DJB and hopefully a 12.0DJC in the very near future.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11:14 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Well now.

. Bring propane from the tank all the way to the genset in in a liquid state and feed it to a vaporizor where it gets turned into a gaseous state for the engine to use.
Me, I prefer diesel.
I only ran into that once.

Large multi fuel boiler with 2 stage damper controls. Engineers ran liquid propane to a propane fired vaporizer where they mixed vapor with 60% air. Reducing the BTU's per cubic foot to that of Natural gas allowed use of same gas train and damper settings for natural gas or propane mix. All operator had to do was change selector switch setting, which opened and closed correct electric valves.

The damper second stage was used for the third fuel- oil.
The engineers claimed that the pro-air mix was well above the HEL, but I made sure I was not around when they fired it up.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:15:37 PM
Subscriber

Not an LP guru but can tell you from my experience that an owned, buried tank is the way to go. I don't care to look at LP tanks of any size so buried was a must. As stated previously, you have the ability to shop your supplier with an owned tank as opposed to being locked in with a leased tank. Regardless, if you pre-buy your propane, typically in summer, you can usually lock in a price for a predetermined quantity. Having heated with electric, fuel oil and now propane, I'm sold on propane. I use it for hot water, furnace, dryer, range and if I was a little more motivated I'd hard pipe the Weber. At our hunting cabin I keep two 100 lb'ers and they run the fridge (yep), all of the lighting (Humphrey's), and the back-up heat. No complaints at all.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:16:38 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
When they make propane that can be transported with a plastic trash can and a pickup truck (don't ask)
Any pictures of this????
Old 10-10-2017, 08:38:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
...When they make propane that can be transported with a plastic trash can and a pickup truck (don't ask), I'll consider a change.
They already make that stuff - you just have to wait until it's about -44F before you fill up your trash can...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:47:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,233 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McIntyre View Post
They already make that stuff - you just have to wait until it's about -44F before you fill up your trash can...
I can picture that, my truck wouldn't start and if it did, the plastic trash can would shatter like movie prop glass.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04:27 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paul View Post
Not an LP guru but can tell you from my experience that an owned, buried tank is the way to go. I don't care to look at LP tanks of any size so buried was a must. As stated previously, you have the ability to shop your supplier with an owned tank as opposed to being locked in with a leased tank. Regardless, if you pre-buy your propane, typically in summer, you can usually lock in a price for a predetermined quantity. Having heated with electric, fuel oil and now propane, I'm sold on propane. I use it for hot water, furnace, dryer, range and if I was a little more motivated I'd hard pipe the Weber. At our hunting cabin I keep two 100 lb'ers and they run the fridge (yep), all of the lighting (Humphrey's), and the back-up heat. No complaints at all.
Problems I have with buried tanks. The coating must be maintained or they will rust through. They also have sacrificial anodes that must be maintained and tested annually. Water intrusion into the dome is a problem as is access to fittings (very cramped). You can't easily take them with you if you move.

#1 problem is they are not commonly available used and are very expensive new.

Smokstakkers of course always want their equipment to be used, cheap and if possible, more than 60 or 70 years old.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post: