Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

N. Korea Targeted U.S. Electric Power Companies

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 791 times

Old 10-10-2017, 08:38:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,034 Posts
Default N. Korea Targeted U.S. Electric Power Companies

I just read a news article on MSN.com news that the little fat boy from North Korea has targeted U.S. electric power companies by sending malicious malware an attempt to compromise the system. If someday fat boy becomes successful and knocks out the utility power grid, you better have your Onans ready. By the way as I may have said before and I'll say again, I would like to be the person to put no less than two bullets in his head. Sounds crazy, but that is the truth.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...cid=spartandhp

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	293286  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default Re: N. Korea targeted U.S. Electric Power Companies

One thing to keep in mind, however. That is I think the US power grid has ways to isolate sections and operate independently from one another. I would assume the ops procedures as run from a control center would be confidential to say the least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04:44 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: N. Korea Targeted U.S. Electric Power Companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
By the way as I may have said before and I'll say again, I would like to be the person to put no less than two bullets in his head. Sounds crazy, but that is the truth.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Careful, his regime may be monitoring the Stak, and he will consider that a threat.

I don't know what NK's capabilities are, but the US authorities seem to be concerned about the possibility of an attack on our grid. (If that's not fake news) Who knows....NK may have hacked Equifax, so they can fund their nuclear program with our money.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:19:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,224 Times in 2,022 Posts

If everybody that wanted to shoot a round or two at him was able to do so, Earth would wobble from the unbalance of all that lead in one place.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:41:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,256 Posts

Fake news.. besides a good snow storm knocks out 1/4 of the East coast..

That and nk is not the best at that hacking stuff.. if they lainch missiles, they would only be able to hit California, IF they actually stay on course and don't get blown out of the sky .. so.. what's the big deal???
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,292 Times in 875 Posts

Yes, but let me move first.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
yes, but let me move first. :d

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-10-2017, 11:05:28 PM
Subscriber

Kim Jong Phat talking trash again. Making the oldsters scared while watching Fox News.

Seriously, our power grid is at greater risk from domestic issues. Depending on your political bias, that could mean almost whatever you could want it to mean.

Supposedly home solar panels are the biggest risk of all. Joe Barstool at home making his own electrons via the Sun means less revenue for maintenance/upgrades/profit, which leads to raises in rates to offset the losses...which leads to more people cutting back on power use or....solar gets to mean even more economic sense. *shrug* That won't stop me from going solar at some point. Fossil fuels are bullshit. We need to get past them. Seriously.

Also, the tendency to sprawl out rather than build up does nothing for the grid either because it creates...um...more grid. Our utility system is woefully inefficient, compared to many other places, because each mile of power/sewer/gas/water main/internet backbone services so fewer people(AKA paying customers) per mile of infrastructure. This is infrastructure that has to be invested in and then maintained. Its a symptom of bad land management and development policy which is 100% home grown.

I could go on forever, but our wounds are mostly self inflicted these days. King Jong Phat is a very good patsy tho.

Last edited by TLB01; 10-10-2017 at 11:19:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:31:57 PM
Sponsor

You can keep your BUILDING UP!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:18:11 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,329 Posts

Time for tinfoil hats
Old 10-11-2017, 12:19:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,414 Times in 1,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB01 View Post
Kim Jong Phat talking trash again. Making the oldsters scared while watching Fox News.

Seriously, our power grid is at greater risk from domestic issues. Depending on your political bias, that could mean almost whatever you could want it to mean.

Supposedly home solar panels are the biggest risk of all. Joe Barstool at home making his own electrons via the Sun means less revenue for maintenance/upgrades/profit, which leads to raises in rates to offset the losses...which leads to more people cutting back on power use or....solar gets to mean even more economic sense. *shrug* That won't stop me from going solar at some point. Fossil fuels are bullshit. We need to get past them. Seriously.

Also, the tendency to sprawl out rather than build up does nothing for the grid either because it creates...um...more grid. Our utility system is woefully inefficient, compared to many other places, because each mile of power/sewer/gas/water main/internet backbone services so fewer people(AKA paying customers) per mile of infrastructure. This is infrastructure that has to be invested in and then maintained. Its a symptom of bad land management and development policy which is 100% home grown.

I could go on forever, but our wounds are mostly self inflicted these days. King Jong Phat is a very good patsy tho.
I have the two main power lines that serve central and west KY crossing within 1/4 mile of my place. A German company has come in and offered to lease my ground and that of my neighbor to build a solar farm. It would be an 880 megawatt output. The offer is tempting at $450/acre lease. Not sure I want to look out my windows and see all those black panels though. The company rep. had a lot of info on how efficient the solar out put is getting and how the cost has come down on solar panel construction. This would put additional pressure on the traditional power (around here coal and hydro) from a financial standpoint.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:52:03 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,224 Times in 2,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJudge View Post
...offered to lease my ground...at $450/acre...had a lot of info on how efficient the solar out put is getting...
Tell them $450 an acre and a free 200A, 240V, 3 phase service to your premises. They wont miss a few kW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 01:24:10 AM
Subscriber

The more Trump pimps coal, the better solar looks.

All residential solar needs now is an easy fix for what to do when it's time for a new roof. Right now its....painful.

Answer: Shingles/roof material and the solar component = The same thing. As in just that. Your shingles make power.

You can't fight the future.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,091 Times in 517 Posts

Solar power future? they tried that here and a total disaster and now we have the most expensive power in the world, not to mention the impossible grid logistics and the failures that have gone with it, as for 'little rocket man' easy to be dismissive of NK but to make the mistake of assumptions about what capacity they have to do what has led to the present situation, as for hackers heck I had a bank account breached recently and transactions happen in Luxembourg and London on the same day, the bank has reimbursed the money with out any real explanation.
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:43:54 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB01 View Post
The more Trump pimps coal, the better solar looks.

All residential solar needs now is an easy fix for what to do when it's time for a new roof. Right now its....painful.

Answer: Shingles/roof material and the solar component = The same thing. As in just that. Your shingles make power.

You can't fight the future.
And here we go...the learning curve should be interesting.
Ray
https://www.tesla.com/solarroof
Old 10-11-2017, 06:31:12 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlister View Post
Fake news.. besides a good snow storm knocks out 1/4 of the East coast..

That and nk is not the best at that hacking stuff.. if they lainch missiles, they would only be able to hit California, IF they actually stay on course and don't get blown out of the sky .. so.. what's the big deal???
The "Big Deal" is the possibility that North Korea has an EMP weapon.
A single High-altitude Electro-Magnetic Pulse (HEMP) weapon, detonated at 250 miles over the central US could destroy the country's entire power grid.
Check out "Starfish Prime".
If you think that the Norks lack the ability to hack the 'net, consider the fact that they've developed, and tested, nuclear fission weapons and claim to have developed a fusion weapon.
In other words-
Never underestimate the abilities of your opponent
Old 10-11-2017, 07:03:40 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,256 Posts

Whether or not Solar is a viable solution depends much on the free market. When the government gets involved the trouble begins. the government should not be picking winners and losers.

I have read some information on Energy Cubes. Each home producing its own energy. No grid. I believe Google, Amazon and a few other large companies are testing them now. About the size of an AC. Cant find the exact article I read but here is some info.

https://techcrunch.com/2010/02/22/bloom-energy-boxes/
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,173 Posts

One thing for which I am confident is that those folks who have a cck, cw or a magneciter equipped generator do not need to worry about emp damage. Now if you have an electronic vr that "may" be a different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:13:55 PM
Subscriber

I like the sound of that, but it wasn't because I knew to pick these models, they just became available and I bought them. Still, I seek a jb or diesel version of it. Still looking forward to learning more from the sage stakkers here, thanks guys!