Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan LT II Transfer Switch JB 7.5

this thread has 63 replies and has been viewed 1861 times

Old 10-10-2017, 08:56:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default Re: Onan LT II Transfer Switch / JB 7.5

I guess I still do not understand what you are doing? So, do you wait until the power goes out and then pull the fridge and plug it into the ATS circuit or do you set this up prior to the outage? if the later, then "you" are paying for the juice they draw from your 240 volt tap?

As for your last question, keep in mind, the neutral and the earth ground are bonded together at the utility incoming service panel. So I would assume your ATS would respect that fact and carry the neutral and the ground wire along from the service entrance panel via that 240 volt receptacle. Yes, some single phase 240 volt receptacles are just three-wire plugs, but note in those cases, I believe the neutral is connected to the 240 volt appliance frame or chassis.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
I guess I still do not understand what you are doing? So, do you wait until the power goes out and then pull the fridge and plug it into the ATS circuit or do you set this up prior to the outage? if the later, then "you" are paying for the juice they draw from your 240 volt tap?
Prior to a storm. Yes, I will pay for the utility power for a short duration which is no big deal since I am only supplying minimal power, but it sure beats having to go out into a heavy snow storm foot of snow or during a hurricane with pounding rain and wind, dragging the JB through the weather into position and laying out the lines. I rather setup before hand and let nature take its course. If or when the utility goes out I will be inside a nice warm house while the ATS transfers the load from the non-working utility to the JB and the reverse once the utility power is restored. I am getting too old to be running around outside during storms.

As for your last question, keep in mind, the neutral and the earth ground are bonded together at the utility incoming service panel. So I would assume your ATS would respect that fact and carry the neutral and the ground wire along from the service entrance panel via that 240 volt receptacle. I agree.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-10-2017 at 10:56:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:25:13 PM
Sponsor

As long as the input plug for the ATS stays connected to the MIG welder receptacle, do not bond the neutral and ground in the ATS.

If you want to run the gen & ATS together without the "Utility Input" plug connected to the MIG receptacle (don't know why you would do this, other than metering and power distribution), get another receptacle like the MIG outlet, and jumper the neutral and ground terminals together. Then you can plug the ATS plug into this receptacle for your neutral/ground bond. Mount the "bonding" receptacle on the ATS, and you won't have to worry about losing it. It will also make a conversation piece when people ask why the ATS is plugged into itself.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:59:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dawkins View Post
As long as the input plug for the ATS stays connected to the MIG welder receptacle, do not bond the neutral and ground in the ATS.

If you want to run the gen & ATS together without the "Utility Input" plug connected to the MIG receptacle (don't know why you would do this, other than metering and power distribution), get another receptacle like the MIG outlet, and jumper the neutral and ground terminals together. Then you can plug the ATS plug into this receptacle for your neutral/ground bond. Mount the "bonding" receptacle on the ATS, and you won't have to worry about losing it. It will also make a conversation piece when people ask why the ATS is plugged into itself.
Excellent suggestion / solution!!

Thanks!
JohnnyC
New Jersey