Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Current Propane Tank Lease Info

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 772 times

Old 10-08-2017, 11:19:03 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Current Propane Tank Lease Info

I have a bunch of 20lb and 100lb propane bottles but I am really interested in getting 1 larger propane tank. Based on the outages that we have had over the last 4 years I can see myself only averaging 25 gallons/yr

A 250 gallon tank is way too big as I am all electric and would only use propane for emergency heat and to run my generators. I would consider replacing my dryer and the oven with propane if that were economically feasible in a couple of years. I would like to have one of those small "pigs" but they seem more expensive than regular tanks.... to buy used.

My questions are (1) Can you still lease the "pigs" from the propane companies ?

2) Does propane companies have a minimum usage or amount that you have to buy yearly ?

3) Would the propane companies be content with their yearly lease payment if you are not using`very much propane ?

4) If they come out and you have a 250 gal tank can you request only a 75 or 100 gallon fill ?
5) Anyone got a "pig" ... How much do they hold ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2017, 11:34:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Current Propane tank lease info

Talk to your local Propane Dealer's with the above question's. You might be surprised. Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:04:59 AM
Email NOT Working

To comment on your comment, while I prefer gas, I don't think you would ever see payback on the dryer and the stove is an insignificant user of energy in the total house. So even if you replace one or both of them, dollars and cents say stay electric. Installing gas lines is a lot of work.

If you want a gas stove to cook during outages, that is another matter.

1. Most tanks are leased and you can go as small as 120 gallons, some companies also have 57 gallon tanks but rare.

2. My company did not like to set a tank for just a generator. Yearly lease did not even cover the finance cost of the tank, had to sell some gas to make it worthwhile.

3. See above.

4. We alternated between 100 and 150 gallon minimum but we allowed them to call in at 50% which is only 75 gallons and would not charge for anything but the delivered gas so by keeping the tank on the full side you can keep the delivery amount down.

5. "Pig" is a slang term that means different things to different people but a small tank is usually 120 gallons gross, 100 gallons net so amounts and leases are even smaller.

I suggest looking on Craigslist also. If you can find a tank private sale and somehow get it to your property you may find a propane company willing to revalve it and set up regulators and pipes. Or maybe a retired propane service guy. Not super complicated work but you have to know what you are doing.

Then you can have a big tank with no worry of throughput or lease or anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 12:14:08 AM
Registered-III

1 - A propane pig ... I am not familiar with this term. Is it a 100 gallon tank or ???

2 - My understanding on leasing/renting propane tanks is you pay a monthly rent fee, plus usage. They re-stock your tank and fill it up every month or so, and bill you accordingly. You will have to call your local supplier to find out. Warning - do some digging, when you lease a tank from X company, X company can mark up there propane prices and you have not choice since they own the tank as far is wanting to buy propane from supplier A, B, or C. That is unless you own the tank. Problem with owning the tank is you are responsible for tank recertification.

3 - Probably for a fee, but you will have to check with them to find out.

4 - Probably, but they may charge a minimum refill fee, regardless if you need any or not.

5 - I haven't a clue

Overall, if it were me I would get a couple 100 gallon tanks and refill them myself. In my area, 100 gallon tank is legal to carry in your own pickup and I can refill it, anywhere I want. Over 100 gallons, you gotta have CDL to transport.
If you want to go bigger, buy your own tank and be prepared to pay to get it re-certified/inspected every 5 years (I think, cannot remember for certain)
The Following User Says Thank You to richard.bessey For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27:13 AM
Email NOT Working

When my neighbor moved in to the property across the street from me he brought a 250 gal tank with him plus there was already one on the property. Kinda felt him out about it and I believe that he is somewhat motivated to move that 2nd tank. Problem for me is that it is a 250.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:35:00 AM
Email NOT Working

The people I grew up with either correctly or incorrectly identified thes as "pigs"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pig.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	293179  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37:23 AM
Subscriber

whats wrong with a 250 gallon tank? propane doesn't go bad. I've got a 250 on my house that gets very little usage. I fill it once a year. I own it and the gas companies will fill it whenever I ask. The amount delivered will lower the price per gallon tho.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38:04 AM
Subscriber

Richard
Didn't know Washngton allowed 100 GAL. tank to be transported by consumer for filling. Thought consumers were restricted to 100 LB. tank transport limit.
Ray
Old 10-09-2017, 12:39:40 AM
Sponsor

All I can say is I have a 325 gallon tank, $60.00 a year lease.
Only thing I have now is a furnace on propane, it took me two years to use up 100 gallons. Just this past year I had them run a line to the generator I just wired in, they charged me $325.00 to do that which also included a new regulator to replace my old existing regulator on my house that they said was not up to date. 110' run. I used to also have propane hot water heater, it died and I couldn't find a like heater for less then $1,200.00 (special direct vent unit) so I bought a $200.00 40 gallon electric, been working great for 8 years.

I believe a 100 gallon tank would have to be on a trailer for them to fill around here. I have 5- 100 POUND tanks, my company said I could bring all 5 for filling at one time in the back of my truck. The tanks hold about 20 gallons each so that would be at least 100 gallons.

Last edited by nothingbutdarts; 10-09-2017 at 12:42:32 AM. Reason: added info.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:31:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,437 Times in 1,872 Posts

Be aware that all propane containers are not 'tanks".

A "cylinder" is DOT certified and must be reinspected 10 years (used to be 12 years but they changed it) after the date stamped on the collar of the tank. Then periodically depending on the type of inspection it was given. A typical "visual" inspection is good for 5 years. Typical "cylinders" are the 20Lb, 40Lb, and 100Lb containers.

A "tank" is ASME certified and has a plate welded to the surface detailing the tank properties. A "tank" is not subject to periodic inspection but the fuel supplier may refuse to fill it if he notices something wrong.

The price of propane can vary dramatically depending on how much you use. From under $2/gal to over $5/gal. The local propane mafia will use every trick in the book to overcharge you. For example, locally there is a large price break if they deliver over 401 gallons. Why 401 gallons? Because a 500 gallon TANK will hold only 400 gallons.

If you are serious about using propane, owning your own tank is the way to go. As I said, an ASME TANK does not need periodic recertification, and you can switch suppliers with just a phone call.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 08:38:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,219 Times in 2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
...The local propane mafia will use every trick in the book to overcharge you....If you are serious about using propane, owning your own tank is the way to go. As I said, an ASME TANK does not need periodic recertification, and you can switch suppliers with just a phone call.
The local propane mafia trick - The price of propane is a lot higher here than it is 50 miles in any direction- BUT if you lease your tank, you get a discount. Of course, other suppliers won't fill the leased tank. If you own your tank, you pay more than a couple of years lease in price gouging to get it filled.

The good thing is, around here we can get a 420 pound (about 95 gallon) cylinder delivered, if it can be set in a place with truck access. No lease on the cylinder, when it empties they bring another or just pick it up if no longer needed.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:13:50 AM
Subscriber

My BIL has his generator on a 100 gallon tank, that he owns. He has had this set up since 1988 and seldom needs it filled, depending on storms. It was about 70% when hurricane Matthew came and he was soon sweating big drops about running out before power was restored. He had no trouble finding a local outfit to refill it later, and knowing him the price had to be reasonable. His gas consumption was ~ 0.63 gallons/hour. He is thinking about getting a 250 gallon tank. If he ever runs out he will never hear the end of it.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:56:24 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxyoung2008 View Post
The people I grew up with either correctly or incorrectly identified thes as "pigs"
In the biz we called those "cannonballs" and they can be any size up to 250 gallons. (Have to stand on a step to reach the top of a 250 gal cannonball, it's big)

Typically they were 150 to 170 gallons and very old, usually late 1940s. I think they were repurposing steel WW2 buoy mfg facilities. After that they seemed to standardize on the familiar shape we know now.

I would not be afraid to use one if I could find one not badly rusted. But they are usually small.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 11:41:23 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lynch View Post
Richard
Didn't know Washngton allowed 100 GAL. tank to be transported by consumer for filling. Thought consumers were restricted to 100 LB. tank transport limit.
Ray
HA! Yup, you are correct. 100 lb, not a 100 gallon tank. Legally, in Washington thats as big as you are allowed you carry around in your rig without a CDL, so thats what a lot of the locals do that I see at our local propane yard.

---------- Post added at 10:41:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
A "tank" is ASME certified and has a plate welded to the surface detailing the tank properties. A "tank" is not subject to periodic inspection but the fuel supplier may refuse to fill it if he notices something wrong.
Thank you for the tip Kevin K, I did not know this. Is a tank/ASME certified supposed to be permanently installed in place and not transported with any propane in it?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:50:48 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: Current Propane Tank lease info

Both >125 gal ASME tanks and 420 lb [propane capacity] DOT cylinders can be placed right against houses, with regulations.

Some manufacturers make them both ways and they look exactly the same as each other.

420 lb cylinders have a little bit less clearance requirements where they can be placed on the side of a house with relation to openings. But the downfall is they have to be recertified.

I know of no regulation that prohibits ASME tanks from being transported. They do have to be less than 125 gallons if you want to transport them with more than 5% in them. I have seen ASME tanks that looked like cylinders from ~120 gallons all the way down to 5 gallons.

I also know of no regulation in Washington or elsewhere which prohibits average Joe from transporting a 420 lb cylinder or four 100 lb cylinders. Some roofers like to carry a 420 lb in their truck, that way the propane truck can come to them and fill it while they are hot mopping away.

Above 1000 lb combined product and container is hazmat license territory.

---------- Post added at 09:50:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00:02 PM ----------

Here is what we refer to as a pig tank. Most of them have capacity of 100 gal on the tag, but that is an old convention where they stated it as net, water capacity ~120 gallons.

But I just happen to have one that is the same with about 15' of cylinder welded in between the two heads, makes it 500 gal net or 575 water capacity.

I collect old propane tanks like some of you guys collect old generators apparently, and I put them to work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:23:56 AM
Sponsor

I've never seen a LP tank that looked quite like that one, but can easily understand how it got the nickname "pig".
Old 10-10-2017, 01:29:31 AM
Email NOT Working

Most (all?) I have seen were made by Pacific Iron and Steel Co. out of Los Angeles so I suspect they would be more common on this side of the country.

There is some migration of propane tanks across the country but not a whole lot. There are some interesting regional differences.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:16:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,970 Times in 2,732 Posts

When we put in our propane tank, our local dealer had a very nice used tank they'd just moved back to their yard. They sold it to us cheap and delivered it to our site. The excavating contractor buried it and the gas company went back and did the hookup.

No fees and we could buy gas from anyone we wanted. (the original company ended-up being the one that always had the best price and I liked their driver).

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 10-10-2017, 04:34:50 PM
Email NOT Working

SO how do you re-fill a 420 ib propane tank ? Do you transport it yourself to a filling center or will a company (any company) send a truck out to fill it ?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 06:36:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,219 Times in 2,019 Posts

Here, they will fill it if the "bobtail" truck can get to it. If not (such as a tower site with limited access) they bring a full tank on back of a 1 ton truck fitted with a crane and swap them out.

I don't know what services your supplier(s) may offer.