Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Gilson 60 Speed Type U 1 1/2 hp

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1204 times

Old 04-03-2018, 02:25:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,475 Posts
Default Gilson 60 Speed Type U 1 1/2 hp

I was playing fetch with my Jack Russell, Jack this morning , and told him to go fetch me a bear naked bikini model and he came back with a Gilson 60 speed Type U 11/2 hp !! A bikini model would have been nice to!! LOL GOOD DOG Jack!! LOL At least fastenal got it here in 1 piece this time and nothing tore up. No idea what number it would have been, number was on the crank guard, no crank guard, no number, but it does have the Feb 1913 changed stamped rod in it. Also it has the ignitor , which is very rarely seen that was a option and a spark plug in the head. Even got the cast piece that holds the gov springs on, got to figure out what holds the springs to the cast piece , I can see this taking off like a bullet to orbit while running!! Original fuel tank is iffy, got to check for leaks and put a neck on it, and a exhaust valve keeper needs to be remade as it is cracked from long ago, and a GOOD cleaning and spring replacement in places, and a battery box made to look old, going to try to keep this original , and hopefully find a pulley attachment or a pump jack attachment that will go on it someday , or start rounding up pulleys, I seen a thread on here and what sizes I need and the shaft. Now for this Misery weather in Missouri to make up its mind so I can get somethings done around here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledgilson rod.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	307254   Click image for larger version

Name:	gilson2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	307255   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledgilson3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	307256   Click image for larger version

Name:	gilson4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	307257  

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 04-04-2018 at 08:34:49 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2018, 05:51:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Re: Gilson 60 speed type U 11/2 hp

Rich,
I've just been thru this on two Johnny-on-the-Spots which appear to have to same single gov. weight arrangement. I'm restoring the one with "BT" cast on the hopper & sold the other to a friend. The piece you are missing is at the foundry for use as a pattern for my friend's. In the meantime he made one from a piece of 5/16" or 3/8" round rod arched to fit around flywheel hub.
My original springs were rusty & stretched. They had a loop on one end, spring was open on other end with round double threaded nut that screws into the spring and a 10-24 thread in the center for a machine screw. Screws pass thru holes in weight, 10-24 lock nut applied & then screwed into the captive nuts. The looped end fits in shallow groove in each end of arched casting.
My friend went to the hardware store & pawed thru until he found two springs that looked & felt about right but had loops on each end. They were long enough to get two from each. My job to make four of those round nuts. The springs were about the same diameter & a little weaker than the original but wound the other way. It required left hand threads on nut O.D.; right hand 10-24 on I.D.
I'll attach some photos .... 1st one not my engine but shows arrangement.
I L.H. threaded the nut O.D. a couple of TPI different than pitch on spring & larger than I.D. of spring. They screwed in with a little difficulty & locked themselves in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture_008.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	307269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899 (Medium).JPG
Views:	106
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	307270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0900 (Medium).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	307271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005 (Medium).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	307272  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-03-2018 at 06:34:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 06:29:29 PM
Registered

Hey Rich,
That sure is a nice original Gilson especially with the hard to find ignitor still on it. I see it is also still sitting on the Gilson auto steer trucks which is also hard to find. I hope you do plan to keep all original. I look forward to seeing it at the shows when you get it finished.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Hosack For This Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 07:08:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,018 Times in 236 Posts

Rich, nice engine and good luck with finding your pulleys.
Hope you don't mind me asking Doug something on your thread.

Doug have to ask about your battery box. Did you make it and is that the correct lid?
I just put this one back together and box don't have a lid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180403_185748.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	307289  
The Following User Says Thank You to Galan Hackman For This Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 07:55:41 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kimball View Post
Rich,
I've just been thru this on two Johnny-on-the-Spots which appear to have to same single gov. weight arrangement. I'm restoring the one with "BT" cast on the hopper & sold the other to a friend. The piece you are missing is at the foundry for use as a pattern for my friend's. In the meantime he made one from a piece of 5/16" or 3/8" round rod arched to fit around flywheel hub.
My original springs were rusty & stretched. They had a loop on one end, spring was open on other end with round double threaded nut that screws into the spring and a 10-24 thread in the center for a machine screw. Screws pass thru holes in weight, 10-24 lock nut applied & then screwed into the captive nuts. The looped end fits in shallow groove in each end of arched casting.
My friend went to the hardware store & pawed thru until he found two springs that looked & felt about right but had loops on each end. They were long enough to get two from each. My job to make four of those round nuts. The springs were about the same diameter & a little weaker than the original but wound the other way. It required left hand threads on nut O.D.; right hand 10-24 on I.D.
I'll attach some photos .... 1st one not my engine but shows arrangement.
I L.H. threaded the nut O.D. a couple of TPI different than pitch on spring & larger than I.D. of spring. They screwed in with a little difficulty & locked themselves in place.
Thanks Doug I have the arch casting, look close at the last picture it is tied on the frame at top with a wire so I dont lose it got tired of it in my pocket, and the springs are still on the weight yet, but springs are to far gone and broke on the arch end, will have to look at those better , wasn't feeling good today after I hauled it in from fastenal. I was just curious how those are held on to the arch part, without coming off like a bullet someday if the spring end would break or springs get loose, but, I guess it was on there better than a hundred years it will stay with new springs. And maybe that will help someone else out someday to looking for Gilson stuff Thanks ..... Galan No problem , not hijacking thread, no doubt it might help someone else , and maybe myself someday, I know the box that is supposed to be on this one is different but been looking on Dennis R,s site, sorry Dennis couldn't spell the name right, and going to try to make one and do some aging and chain beating it to age a little more when I get around to it when weather gets better....Thanks
Old 04-03-2018, 08:28:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts

Galan,
That is not my engine. I think I got photo on EnginAds & I don't think that is correct lid.
I have an original box that came with a 3 hp Model E air-cooled sold by the big jobber Bracket, Shaw & Lunt. Little paint left on lid but I believe it is original with switch & B,S & L tag on lid. Don't know if Gilson did that also when directly sold. BS&L(known to sometimes increase power ratings) called it 3 hp Gilson 2 1/2 hp.
Your box looks original to me.

Rich,
My nuts would have been re-usable if springs were wound right hand. Springs were sourced at a local ACE hardware store. The springs expand slightly when screwing them in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_2470 (Small).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	307291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2479 (Small).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	307292  

Last edited by Doug Kimball; 04-03-2018 at 09:40:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 09:49:05 AM
Subscriber

Got this little guy running the other day, I also noticed I made a mistake on the title it is a 13/4 hp , cant change it either , I tried, oops, 1st vid https://youtu.be/Y-lGrqIdtSs 2nd https://youtu.be/6EHoajGnfjw I had to use my 1914 Choreboy to start it, the compression is so low it wouldn't kick over by itself by hand starting, after it got running the Choreboy was just along for the ride, lol. I noticed the rod was in upside down , the oil hole was on the bottom, in pictures the Changed in 1913 on rod was upside down to and the piston pin was loose, it has a adjustable wrist pin in it that I tightened up, and stepped rings with pins. The cyl didn't have any pits or wear grooves from rings , so I am hoping that the cyl is all right , will measure things when measured for the new rings to put in. I put a temporary spring on the gov, I think I can save the spring holders , the bolts twisted off but the little spring holders look good and enough bolt to grab, they are soaking, now to find left hand springs. A question to Gilson owners on igniter fired engines , where can I find some new igniter springs at?? A Associated igniter spring will fit right on , BUT, the tension is backwards, since this igniter is on the opposite side of the engine and trips backwards . After the 2 nd vid on my S8, which I don't like, I changed the check valve on the temp fuel line and rerouted it and it ran flawlessly all afternoon never missing a beat while I done some shop cleaning, the compression came up a little bit , but still had to be pulled to start, hope the new rings make that better and not a rebore in the future.. Now to do some grease cleaning and oil, or penetrol before the 2 Lauson,s get here that are coming soon....

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 04-28-2018 at 10:37:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 05:50:10 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Gilson 60 speed type U 1 1/2 hp

I think they got their moneys worth out of these rings, WOW, no wonder it had no compression to start it self without hooking a belt to it, just got a email my new ones are in the mailbox 2 miles away, guess we will see what happens tomorrow. These have to be the worst I have seen for wear, I broke one to clean the lands, which look pretty good yet. Got the old gas tank cleaned up and patched, and a new neck off a old tank soldered on, and cleaned out a hornets or wood wasp nest out of the gas tank, and sealed, I had this running the other day, I guess it had a little hornet nest or mudauber nest up in the round ball of carb and sucked it through to the cyl, I blew it out good to!! no way to see in it , and dont even want to try to take it off the head... Anyone know a supplier or someone that likes to make springs? I need a igniter spring for this, a Associated will fit right on , but is wound the wrong way, if wound the opposite way it would be PERFECT!! This one has a very limited life span..,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitledring 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	310318  

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 05-12-2018 at 08:28:19 PM.