Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

F/M home lighting plant

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2416 times

Old 07-29-2003, 09:43:47 PM
Bill

Default F/M home lighting plant

Got another engine in the barn & trying to identify what I have. It's a Fairbanks Morris home lighting plant. Has a fairbanks 1-1/2 Z engine on it but there is a radiator type thing mounted to the top of the cooling hopper & a set of fan blades mounted in the flywheel spokes behind it. The generator is driven with a flat belt & both engine & generator are mounted on a common base. Can anybody furnish any info on that cooling radiator or the lighting plant...Thanks, Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2003, 10:08:06 PM
Tim

Default Re: F/M home lighting plant

very nice piece you have there. I have one also. The radiator is for condensing the steam back into water so you dont lose any. It is 32 volt dc.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 07-30-2003, 11:50:14 AM
Bill

Tim, thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions if itís not too much trouble.. 1st, how much water is used? Do you fill it all the way up, or lower just like a conventional hopper cooled & allow the water to turn to steam. 2nd, the generator has 3 wires coming out of it. Is one a ground to go to a ground stake or is there 2 voltage legs coming out using a common ground? 3rd, there is red knob sticking out of the generator control panel, can you tell me what it does? 4th, was that 32 volt DC system just used to run lights or were there also DC motors available to run off that unit? I want to take this unit to some shows yet this year & would like to know something about so I don't hurt it, or myself. Sorry for being a pest..Bill
Old 07-30-2003, 12:16:52 PM
Frank Y

Hi Bill. Nice rig you got there. I restored a #3 plant for myself and will try to help with the questions. Of the three wires coming out two are positive and one is negative if im not mistaken. I have a diagram and some others i will email you. The button that is on the generator is to stop the engine. Originally the set had a bank of batteries and when the batteries were finished charging you would stop the engine then run the appliances off the batteries. The generator would provide the power for the spark. There are all sorts of 32 volt things out there if you want to pay the prices. I just use 5 60w 110v bulbs and that works fine. Im guessing that you have not had this running, and the generator probably has no magnetism to generate current as with mine. I used "reverse psychology" and used a battery to "flash" or "motor" it in the proper direction and this created the magnetism. on a side note, dont try to run the engine and generator without a load because the board that creates the spark has some touchy parts that could fry. Email me for a longer winded explanation or if you want some more diagrams. Frank Y

pics
Old 07-30-2003, 03:53:48 PM
Tim

I too use my light plant at shows, but I use (3) 12volt 75 watt bulbs in a series. I see that yours has a magneto, I havent seen this set up yet. The button is for starting your engine if you batteries are hooked up to it. The generator is like one big starter.

Good luck! Tim
Old 07-30-2003, 03:55:28 PM
tim

I too use my light plant at shows, but I use (3) 12volt 75 watt bulbs in a series. I see that yours has a magneto, I havent seen this set up yet. The button is for starting your engine if you batteries are hooked up to it. The generator is like one big starter.

Good luck! Tim
Old 07-30-2003, 06:12:40 PM
Frank Y

I stand corrected. That makes more sense though, being that it would start the engine. Frank Y
Old 07-31-2003, 10:41:43 AM
Elden

Frank:

I was interested in seeing the schematic of the generator but some of the lines didn't scan-in well.

The the schematic shows that the shunt field isn't connected. Must be another missing line.

Since I'm sort of a techno-geek, I'd appreciate it if you are able to get a better scan of the schematic and email the .JPG to me.

Thanks and take care - Elden
Old 07-31-2003, 10:43:16 AM
Elden DuRand

Oops!

it's edurand@bellsouth.net
Old 07-31-2003, 07:19:42 PM
leonard keifer

Default Re: F/M home lighting plant-related equipment

In a box of junk (treasures?) I bought at a recent auction I ended up with a 30 - 32 volt iron for use with these home-light plants. It's ion kind of rough shape but it's the first one I've seen.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:17:12 PM
Frank Y

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4108693&a=30634278&p=64356262&f=0

just copy and paste this in the address bar. I cant get it to show.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:01:51 PM
John McPherson

Radios too have been made for the 30 and 32 volt systems. Trouble is- Too many idiots go out and throw a regular plug on it for 110/120 VAC- which destroys about 50 dollars in tubes in an instant.

They did have a special plug for 30/32 volt systems that did resemble a 120volt 20 Amp plug, but the blades are spaced farther apart, so only the most stubborn cuss is going to try to plug a 32 volt plug into a 110/120 circuit.

I picked up a bunch of those 32 volt plugs at an auction once, and it took a little while to figure out what they were- only because I had thought they were the AC plug, but it was not until I dug out one of the wall receptacles for the 120-20 Amp circuit that it became clear what they really were. I had picked up a 32 volt radio at that auction too, so it was educational.

The 32 volt radios are labeled as such inside on the tube locator sheet, and MOST will work with minimal repair (some need none)- I sold a Delco chassis earlier this year that worked as I had sent it. If you find one at an antique store with a 120 volt regular plug- assume that the radio had been plugged in.

Substitute tubes are available and a cheaper than the 32 volt tubes, but a resistor should be added in the heater string if they are used.

There are 32 volt motors out there, and a few 32 volt tools too.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:11:41 PM
Bill Schaller

32 volt fans are cool. I also have a Kato-light thingamajig that either takes 32 vdc and makes it into 110vac, or 110vac and makes it into 32vdc. I forget witch, it's hidden out in the shed somewheres.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55:03 AM
John McPherson

At the risk of my supply of old automotive generators drying up:

The Lejay Manual, republished by Lindsay Publishing, and might be available through Harry's bookstore (I have not looked) gives instructions on how to rewire them to allow them to be used as 1/5 hp and 1/2 hp electric motors at 32 volts. Certainly adequate for quite a few machines.