Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco 751 running problems

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 1775 times

Old 08-10-2017, 03:46:47 AM
Registered

Default Re: Delco 751 running problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Andreasen View Post
Kevin, I must be seeing things.........I swear there are NO wires on those left hand screws. Is it possible the inner coil is completely missing? If so, that would sure explain why the engine stops as soon as the handle is released!

You'll have to pull the coil assembly out for a closer look and let us know!
Thank you for the reply. I will check it out and report again during the week end. From Kevin's neighbour . Kevin is helping me out a great deal. Keith
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51:34 AM
Registered

You are quite correct about the non existing wires on the left hand side connectors in photo.. let's start again. The top left connector has 3wires
attached coming from behind the control panel. Cannot be seen in photo as it is joined from behind. The bottom left connector has no wire attached. Right hand top connector a red wire connected from the top of the large black coil. The bottom right connector has a black wire coming from the coil. Hope you can understand this! Behind the control panel is a 36 watt bulb which needs to be in place to make the starting circuit.when the engine is running with the red lever up it shows a charge of 10amps lighting a ser =to 600watts with no problem.The engine runs very welll. Will this holding the red lever up manually do any damage?would you know in fact if it is a 751 please?Thank you so much for your recent help very much appreciated and everyone eleses as well. These engines are scarce to find in England and I outdoors very much like to keep it going. Keith
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29:00 PM
Registered-III

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread right away......other things in life kept getting in the way!

I have to admit that I'm a bit baffled by the wiring description! It almost seems that the light bulb somehow takes the place of the resistance of the (missing) inner coil........unless it never had that coil in the first place, or someone mounted the bulb for some nefarious purpose that we'll never know.........

This is entering new territory for me. About the only hope is for someone to positively identify the plant then find a manual. A wiring schematic is desperately needed here. Delco made something like 80 different styles/types/voltages in light plants. Have you tried the identification section/identification by sight portion of this website?: http://delcolight.com/index.html

As far as I'm aware, the red handle should drop, disconnecting the starting portion of the circuit as soon as the engine is running. Holding it for a prolonged length of time might not be a good idea.

Think positive.......it WILL run!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:57:24 AM
Registered

Very much appreciate your reply. I will explore other avenues as you suggest and if get any results will post on this board. Thank. You. Keith
Old 08-14-2017, 08:11:16 AM
Registered-III

A quick question......what is that toggle switch on the side of the control panel for?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39:26 AM
Subscriber

In my opinion the lightbulb has nothing to do with the starting switch. The inner coil has to be in there to hold the Switch up after it starts running. Once it is running the lever needs to drop down to disconnect the series field. The series field is what is cranking the motor. The inner portion of lever needs to stay in the up position to keep the shunt field connected and therefore making it generate power. Not sure why someone would've taken the inter-coil out of the starting but my guess is they didn't have any idea what they were doing.
As I stated in my earlier post I do have reprint manuals for every copper found generator the Delco light made it has excellent wiring diagrams for every model.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26:49 AM
Registered-III

My thoughts too FDChief.........in fact I asked about the toggle switch as I'm wondering if it might be wired to the points. In other words, switch on....ignition on. We'll wait for the OP..........
Old 08-14-2017, 02:49:01 PM
Registered

It is used to start the engine which it does. Thank you for your reply and interest still Keith

---------- Post added at 07:49:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44:14 PM ----------

If the light bulb is not in situ. The engine will not start. The inner coil people mention is this within the very large black coil in my photos. ? Love to get to the bottom of this especially the engine model number which nobody seems to recognise.
Thanks for every ones continued interest. Keith
Old 08-15-2017, 02:26:08 AM
Registered

The toggle switch on the side is for switching on the lighting board when the engine is running. If not switched on the power does not go through. Got the reply wrong last time got the switches referred to mixed up. Very sorry to you talking about the main on off switch. Which you had already answered Thank you. Keith
Old 08-25-2017, 12:46:55 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
The toggle switch on the side is for switching on the lighting board when the engine is running. If not switched on the power does not go through. Got the reply wrong last time got the switches referred to mixed up. Very sorry to you talking about the main on off switch. Which you had already answered Thank you. Keith
Thank you everyone for your help. Quick update. What I have worked out since. The engine will start directly from the inner red lever This can be held up manually with a fixture .Previously this was held up automatically within the starting procedure Not now needed. The engine will then run without the 36 volts or 24 volts starting batteries connected on its own. Lighting a 600watt bulb board. The toggle switch must be in the on position for the bulbs to light Also the bulb behind the switch panel must be i position or the engine will start The engine runs as sweet as a nut and is in fantastic condition Wish some one could date it please.Thank you all again for your interest and help. Keith

---------- Post added at 05:46:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. Quick update. What I have worked out since. The engine will start directly from the inner red lever This can be held up manually with a fixture .Previously this was held up automatically within the starting procedure Not now needed. The engine will then run without the 36 volts or 24 volts starting batteries connected on its own. Lighting a 600watt bulb board. The toggle switch must be in the on position for the bulbs to light Also the bulb behind the switch panel must be i position or the engine will start The engine runs as sweet as a nut and is in fantastic condition Wish some one could date it please.Thank you all again for your interest and help. Keith
Bulb should read will not Start