Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4105 replies and has been viewed 267932 times

Old 04-15-2018, 07:05:25 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

Finally got my 12.5 JC running on temporary LP gas regulators and making power. New wiring to double delta split phase 120/240. eBay find that went off with no bid but was only one hour from home, made an offer and we settled at $600. At great deal for me. Thanks to all here for the resources provided and help given to others Iíve been reading.... P.s. it was missing the demand reg.

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailordon For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2018, 07:24:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

Hi Leon;

I understand this starter is one Onan specified on the J line engines. It has an Onan decal on it with the part number 191-1399. It is Mitsubishi built and gear reduction. This starter was inside a cabinet disassembled into pieces and burnt up internally. All the parts were there, just taken apart. Someone robbed off the original Prestolite starter leaving only the starter nose casting on the engine. I removed this casting from the engine and found the Mitsubishi starter I'd found would fit the hole and would bolt up to one hole so went no further.

Went to the parts store and researched both the Prestolite MEO-6003 from a Onan manual for the J line engines, and the Onan part number 191-1399 finding the second number to fit the same as the original Prestolite number starter. However to use the later number, an Onan bracket 191-1400 was required.

Another member stated the existing starter motor mount bracket could be used with a hole redrill as the mounting(s) are offset in the Mitsubishi starter. I found this to be true and having an extra starter mount bracket loose and also found in the pile of parts, I'm electing to modify this piece to mount the Mitsubishi starter onto a J line engine. This is the hole drilling and tapping I'm speaking of. Once this is complete, I'll mount this modified bracket onto the engine, mount up the dummy starter and check everything for for, fit, and function prior to spending $$$ for a replacement starter.

I still don't know if the IMPCO gaseous fuel parts I have will work on the set but should know fairly early in the week. If not, a new Garrettson demand regulator will be acquired without delay. Think I have everything to run testing and once the "prototyping" is complete, I'll get the others on the same path.

Appreciate your interest and guidance. No, I'm really not "new" at working with old things. Adaption, modification, fabricating, etc. are all part of it. My personal passion is antique heavy trucks which is heavily Mack slanted and always has been. Those I consider myself "good" at. I like quality American built items and the older Onan, Kohler, E-M, among several other brands fit that bill in standby power generation. Always enjoyable to go out to my shop and "work" which is my own form of therapy in a way. By choice I'm always working alone and now being retired, I can do what, and when I want, so it has taken some getting used to. Two months in and I'm still adjusting. Having no financial debt or obligations help too.

Thanks,

Last edited by Troll; 04-15-2018 at 08:06:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:34:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,337 Posts

Hi Troll

I kind of like the way you think. I can relate to what you are doing. Perhaps one of the most enjoyable times past was when I refurbished my JB. I took it down to the short block configuration. It was loaded with oil sludge and a plugged oil line which necessitated replacing several parts in the cylinder head. I was impressed however, in that I could still see the honing marks on the cylinder walls. The cylinders looked OK and a subsequent compression test proved out ok.

Now that was back in 1970 and I had the luxury to converse directly with Onan techs while they answered my questions and provided genuine Onan parts. I followed the Onan JB major overhaul manual, 967-500 and ordered replacement parts as specified in the appropriate PL in 967-320.

Long story short the JB was permanently installed at my home and to this day it is a comforting feeling to know it is always ready to power the house as long as necessary now going on some 48 years There are many many factors to consider when setting up a permanent installation. I hope you are as successful.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13:45 PM
Subscriber

I have both my shop and house on pin and sleeves with full service to each. I use my "EF" set which I have the luxury of setting on a trailer and moving from place to place pretty easily. I built up dedicated cords for this and there is no possibility of paralleling loads as both places are routed through manual open transition switches. I fuel this with a trailer mounted propane tank but the set switches to gasoline with closure of one valve, and opening of another plus a portable "nurse tank" I use for gasoline of 100 gallons. I usually use propane as it's less expensive to consume anymore however.

This set is a 1959 and Magnaciter. It normally resides inside my shop when not in use. I replaced most of the control relays last year with the newer styles as the old ones were getting cantankerous at best from age. I removed this set in 2001 from a fire house/station and replaced it with a Kohler set of 30kw also fueled with natural gas and a cooling tower. I retained this one thinking it was something special. Being into antique engines and such, the 292 Ford V8 was appealing along the the generator capacity for my shop which was then under construction when I wasn't traveling.....
Old 04-16-2018, 09:20:26 AM
Subscriber

Cold and a bit of snow in the overnight hours here. Rotor rear bearings are due to deliver this morning, and a starter, (should I decide to order it) is an three day delivery thing from the local Carquest. Left another message for IMPCO to ascertain whether what I have will, or will not work to get one of these sets operational.

Trial and error is half the fun, right?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:19:58 PM
Subscriber

Bearings arrived and laziness set in. Don't know if I'll head out to the shop or not tonight. Eating supper shortly and when belly gets full, eyelids get heavy.....
Old 04-17-2018, 03:24:33 PM
Subscriber

12.5JC makes good stable power if I can keep the gasoline flow linear. Real stable at 208-210VAC as it's wired in a wye configuration. Few photos for you.
First photo is the rear rotor bearing box. I ordered two as I don't know the condition of the other JC's rear bearings yet. I photographed the box so you could keep in your notes the bearings that worked well. These are electric motor rated. 2nd photo is the actual bearing itself. 3rd photo is a shaft collar I'm going to use as part of a driver to push this bearing onto the rotor shaft. 4th photo is a piece of 1" rigid conduit which will become part of the driver for the bearing. Shown is that it slips over the rotor shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_111857_resized.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	308480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_111912_resized.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	308481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_111942_resized.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	308482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_112028_resized.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	308483  

Old 04-17-2018, 03:29:15 PM
Subscriber

First photo is the bearing pusher hand aligned on a piece of 1/4 strip to give me something to clamp to. 2nd photo is the bearing pusher clamped for welding the two pieces together. 3rd photo is the unit clearing the rotor shaft ensuring no bind as the bearing is pushed on to the rotor shaft. 4th photo is the bearing seated against it's land on the rotor shaft.

What I didn't show is that I warmed the bearing on the inner side w/a 1500W heat gun and concentrated blast nozzle. I could of almost pushed the bearing on by hand but a couple light "taps" with a small mallet and it slid right to the land.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180417_113419_resized.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	308484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_113427_resized.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	308485   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_114120_resized.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	308486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180417_114309_resized.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	308487  

Old 04-17-2018, 03:33:13 PM
Subscriber

I then went to reinstalling the end bell. After oiling the bore the bearing slides though, it went on with little effort. I then started to reassemble the control box and using the new rubber isolators, all was good.

I noted running oil pressure to be right at 45 psi and voltage again very stable within the limitations of my ability to feed it gasoline with any kind of linearity.

I'm going back out shortly and will shoot a short video as I'd neglected to take my camera earlier. Too dumb to figure out how to use the phone for videos and be able to work with them.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180417_121514_resized.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	308488  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:02:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,327 Posts

Nice work and great detailed pictures.

Did your original bearing have a notch and clip to prevent the outer part of the bearing from rotating in the bell frame?

JohnnyC
New Jersey