Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 6k DJB Controller Rebuild/Replace

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 3913 times

Old 10-15-2014, 02:07:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Onan 6k DJB Controller Rebuild/Replace

Onan 6.0 DJB 3R/12482 S Controller rebuild/replace
Ser. 1172528891

Hello, My diesel generator was salvaged from a So. Jersey firehouse. It was pretty rough and hadn't been run in years. I cleaned it up ,replaced glow plugs,filters, ect. I got it running ,and took it to a diesel gen. repair mechanic who did some adjustments to the governor. He load tested it and checked for a 60 hrz. output. Everything worked fine. I got around to mounting it on a platform last spring .I wired up an outlet, and added a fuel guage. I am a 0 when it comes to electrical work, so I attempted to find a electrician to check things out before I fired it up. No one was interested.
Early this month attempted to check it out myself and when I went to connect the ground side of the Bat. it tried to start . I noticed the heater toggle switch broke, I opened the control box and found a mouse nest. the relays were corroded and many of the terminal screw heads were rotted off.
I salvaged what I could but the relays, switches , resistors , lamp holders are shot. I am looking for some direction as to whether to repair or replace the controller or a less complicated fix. My intent is to use the Gen. with outlets and only in an emergency. I have all the manuals. Any help or guidance would really be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	208576   Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	208577   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	208578  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2014, 03:31:15 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: onan 6k DJB controller rebuild/replace

Sorry to hear about the mice, but it tends to be a standard problem. If you had mice in the control box, then you should plan to strip the sheet metal covers off the engine and check inside the generator-end itself for more of them. Plan to invest in some quarter-inch hardware cloth or possibly duct seal for small holes. The best option is a well sealed box or cover until you need to use the generator, but you also need to test run 30 minutes once a week or no less than once a month to keep it in shape and prevent oxidation on the slip rings.....

Most of the parts you mention are fairly cheap items and are available from electronics surplus or catalog sellers. You will probably not find the original Onan part numbers, but should be able to find suitable substitutes. But if you are not into electronics and don't have a good friend who is an electronics guy, then you might have trouble.....

Many people have been in exactly the same position and have managed to rebuild and rewire the control box on their generators, usually for the same exact reason as you. But your generator has been sitting for a long time so be sure to check the brushes and clean the slip rings on the generator before you try to run it.

I haven't looked up the wiring diagram for your generator but I'm sure someone will. You'll want that diagram to rewire the control box. If you decide not to repair it, I'm sure someone will be happy to drive over and haul it away for you. You had it all cleaned up and working before you put it away, so I'm sure most Stakkers would figure this was an easy repair. Personally, I'd say that a diesel JB is a very desirable standby generator and you should fix it up if you can. But this time don't stop until you've got a mouse-proof cage around it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Reed For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,245 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Reed View Post
Sorry to hear about the mice, but it tends to be a standard problem. If you had mice in the control box, then you should plan to strip the sheet metal covers off the engine and check inside the generator-end itself for more of them. Plan to invest in some quarter-inch hardware cloth or possibly duct seal for small holes. The best option is a well sealed box or cover until you need to use the generator, but you also need to test run 30 minutes once a week or no less than once a month to keep it in shape and prevent oxidation on the slip rings.....

Most of the parts you mention are fairly cheap items and are available from electronics surplus or catalog sellers. You will probably not find the original Onan part numbers, but should be able to find suitable substitutes. But if you are not into electronics and don't have a good friend who is an electronics guy, then you might have trouble.....

Many people have been in exactly the same position and have managed to rebuild and rewire the control box on their generators, usually for the same exact reason as you. But your generator has been sitting for a long time so be sure to check the brushes and clean the slip rings on the generator before you try to run it.

I haven't looked up the wiring diagram for your generator but I'm sure someone will. You'll want that diagram to rewire the control box. If you decide not to repair it, I'm sure someone will be happy to drive over and haul it away for you. You had it all cleaned up and working before you put it away, so I'm sure most Stakkers would figure this was an easy repair. Personally, I'd say that a diesel JB is a very desirable standby generator and you should fix it up if you can. But this time don't stop until you've got a mouse-proof cage around it.
On a unit like this that has not run in a long time, can you just pull all the brushes, then start the engine to let it run a while and see if the engine is OK first?
The Following User Says Thank You to nothingbutdarts For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34:10 PM
Registered-III

You say you've got all the manuals but you can check against this list to be sure.
DJB spec A-AC gensets:
967-0121 Operator's manual
967-0221 Parts manual
967-0751 Engine Service manual
900-0184 YD Generator & Controls manual

Except your build sheet shows you have a Magneciter generator, not a YD. So I'd suggest these extra manuals:
967-0500 JB JC & Magneciter Service manual (just for Magneciter info)
922-0502 Master Generator & Controls Service manual (Section 4)

I've attached the build sheet and the main wiring diagrams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.0DJB-3R-12482S Build Sheet 00040989.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	208596   Click image for larger version

Name:	611-0935 wiring diagram O1A771.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	208597   Click image for larger version

Name:	612-1542 wiring diagram O2A2959.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	208598   Click image for larger version

Name:	612-1786 wiring diagram O2A3202.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	208599  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Reed For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 05:06:46 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,343 Posts

ive had to fix what your looking at.. im not the best with electrical stuff but managed to do it keeping it original... my box was so badly rusted from mice pee and poo I found a good used box from a jc that had water in the engine for years that I swapped over.. I have a few extra boxes with lots of good parts I keep on hand.. I like to keep them original..

parts are out there but costly. Ive actually found all NOS parts for them online for a cost of almost 500... Max Thompson has converted them to newer relays and such for reasonable prices.. so its doable. im sure others have but I just remember seeing his and how nice they are..
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,337 Posts

In my experience since you have a Magneciter, do not pull the brushes and run the engine. Doing so may damage your Magneciter beyond repair for a couple of reasons. This machine has automatic field flashing upon startup and (2) if you spin the generator much below 1800 rpm, you will over heat the Magneciter coils. More to,the point, there may be enough residual magnetism to generate some voltage and if spinning much below 1800. RPM, the inductive reactance of the coils will be low and damaging currents may flow through the reactor coils. Just my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25:56 AM
Registered-III

Hello all,

First I want to thank all of you for your replies. Sorry to let you know I am disheartened because of the devastation of the control box. The Latch, Ignition, Start, emergency, and both solenoids are worthless. I spent quite a bit of time searching replacements. Most if not all are discontinued and are non stocked items from suppliers. Amazon and Craigslist were fruitless. Ebay has the start, ignition,resistors and solenoids, But all are replacement numbers not original. The prices on these items are close to extortion Based on the guidance and info supplied by your membership I don' see the rewiring of the box as an insurmountable problem. Substitutions were mentioned in some replies and any other parts source info would be great. If anyone knows of an alternate method of controlling this Gen. I would be very interested This Generator was purchased to replace a propane unit that proved to be intolerably expensive to fuel for anything but short outages and living where we do there are many. This DJB gen. set is not only desirable its really needed.

Regards Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	control box 10-15-14 003.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	209171   Click image for larger version

Name:	control box 10-15-14 006.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	209173   Click image for larger version

Name:	control box 10-15-14 007.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	209175   Click image for larger version

Name:	control box 10-15-14 012.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	209176  

Old 10-22-2014, 11:56:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,329 Posts

I see you are in Budd Lake, NJ which is about 30 minutes away from me. I am in the Boonton/Montville area. If you decide it is out of your scope to fix the 6K DJB for whatever reasons and want to sell it at a reasonable price, let me know.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 10-22-2014, 12:24:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,337 Posts

Keeper if I were you I would keep this machine. Take you time and refurbish those relays, etc., to the extent possible. Remove the generator end bell cover and look over the magneciter coils. If they show no signs of over heating, them you may have a diamond in the rough.

If you refurbish this DJB, you will have something that no present day small generator can compete with. This thing can run 24/7@ FL. for a long long time.

You said it was running (recently???) In that condition with all that rust inside the control box?

Worst case, you can sell it for parts and I am sure recoup what you paid for it. Just those Onan meters themselves are worth more than you think. I bought mine new from Onan back in 1970 and I think I paid about $50 each.

Can you show us a few more pictures of the DJB condition? You are in the right place for help and advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,153 Times in 914 Posts

As an alternative you could replace the the contents of most / all of the control box with a modern integrated retrofit controller like this one from flight systems http://www.flightsystems.com/standby...e-control.html

(this may stilll require a couple of external relays depending on application)

There are other cheaper options out there, like the Deep Sea controller clones on ebay, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1 For This Post: