Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 6k DJB Controller Rebuild/Replace

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 4289 times

Old 10-22-2014, 03:27:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: onan 6k DJB controller rebuild/replace

I am posting 4 pictures that were taken just after . It was on a pallet in a parking lot. It started right up, output voltage and ran for twenty minutes. Very loud with the original muffler. The control box pictures were taken when I arrived home , and before the rehab.

The 3 pictures would not upload
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ireland, ozzies cub, genset 339.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	209241  

Last edited by keeper; 10-23-2014 at 10:39:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2014, 03:46:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,411 Posts

Jim, oh my God, you have a gem here! My JB control box looks worse than yours and it has continued to perform since the mid 70's when the mice got into it. Some day when I get ambitious, I intend to once again clean it up.

For some reason, it seems to me I have heard of magneciter failures on the Stak involving diesel driven jobs. Could it be that sometimes they chug away at reduced rpm? Running below 1800 RPM is detrimental to the magneciter equipped generators. Hopefully that is not the case with yours.

That 6DJB is one tough cookie, and I wish I could find one like yours to refurbish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 07:52:39 PM
Registered-III

I will get in trouble for suggesting this, but you can just about eliminate all of the items in the control box, IF you do not mind loosing the remote start capability. I have a 6.0DJE contractor version of the DJB. You can click on my name, go to my picture gallery and take a look at the one titled DJE to see a couple of pictures of the contractor version control box.

David C.
The Following User Says Thank You to David C For This Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22:46 PM
Email NOT Working

Keeper
You have some serious oxidation going on there. Is water getting into your unit ? Do you live near a body of salt water with high humidity ? I also have a DJB 6.0. Just know that they are L_O_U_D but they are workhorses and steady as a rock !!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to wxyoung2008 For This Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 12:32:09 PM
Registered-III

Hello,

David thanks for the reply and a great suggestion. I have been having a hell of a time with these relays. Your contractor setup is definitely the answer. I have a copy of the
drawing for the DJB contractor model. My rectifier and bracket 305A235, 254, are shot.
My Emg. Rly. 320-0104 looks different from the photo. ( I tried 6v than 12 v across the winding with no release) Does the lack of a start solenoid require the new starter as pictured? My parts list shows a solenoid for the heater and start 307B40 (can't be found)
I would totally like any help you may provide in this conversion. I was never interested in a remote start capability . Just looking for a good backup.

Thanks so much, Jim Munley

Hello

WXyoung Mentioned how loud his DJB sounded. I replaced my muffler with one from tractor supply, and it works well.The MFG# is DR-8 , TSC# 0234340. I paid $40.00 . I needed to make a thin 1" wide spacer/shim for a tight fit.
Jim

Last edited by keeper; 10-23-2014 at 12:23:27 PM. Reason: ans. wrong post
The Following User Says Thank You to keeper For This Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 06:55:06 PM
Registered-III

Jim,
The contractor model does not use solenoids for the glow plugs or the starter relay. They use heavy duty push button switches. You can use a couple of Ford starter relays with some light duty push buttons or momentary toggle switches. You can make your own aluminum bracket and pick up a bolt-in diode at any good automotive electrical rebuilder or electronics supply house. You will need to reuse the resistor for the charging circuit. I would scrap the 320-0104 relay and just run the power needed for the run solenoid through a 2 wire oil pressure switch, from a fused on-off toggle switch. Just make sure the run solenoid is not a 6 volt version, as I am not sure if all of the diesels used a 12 volt solenoid. The one area that I am not sure about is the circuit needed for the Magneciter flashing circuit. I would have to do some studying of a Magneciter wiring diagram.

I know some of the regular posters are probably boiling over my suggestions, but if you just want to have a reliable generator, a lot of the relays & switches can be scrapped if you are happy with a generator that you can to flip a switch and push a button to start. You could actually use a universal ignition switch to replace the toggle switch and push button.

David C.

Last edited by David C; 10-23-2014 at 08:14:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to David C For This Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 08:33:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,411 Posts

Here's a suggestion with regard to replacing relays, switches, resistors, etc, with non Onan equivalents. From the electrical point of view, first get your hands on the"actual" Onan wiring diagram for your specific model. Such a wiring diagram, shows the connectivity between the various electrical components, and this is important, with relays shown in the de-energized position. Then go and search for the specific component, relay, for example, that "functions electrically" like the Onan design. Then look at the mechanical feature, that is, the form and fit, to see if you an mount the replacement non-Onan component in the desired location. Of course, maybe you can find the actual Onan part from a salvaged machine and avoid the suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 12:57:30 PM
Subscriber

Jim, Your generator looks almost new on the out side I would try to locate as many original parts that you can. when I picked um my MDJB6 I was not that lucky and back in 1999 I did not know if the stack even existed so I went about setting up my generator the best way that I know how. I built myown control logic it is a manual system that includes a penumatic time delay pushbutton for the glow plugs a penumatic contact that over-rides the low oil pressure shutdown and high water jacket temperature shutdown the two shutdown relays lock out the the ign ckt they are annunicated with red lamps on the panel along with the pre heat lamp and a green ready lamp.
My system has worked great since I installed it in 99. the pictures are old I have installed a air cleaner since they were taken and tidyed it up

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onan mdjb6 003.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	209368   Click image for larger version

Name:	onan mdjb6 005.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	209369   Click image for larger version

Name:	onan mdjb6 006.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	209370   Click image for larger version

Name:	onan mdjb6 007.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	209371  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PopsGarage For This Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 07:47:51 PM
Registered-III

Hello
Just an update on the DJB .I decided after being encouraged by the posts on these boards to go ahead and completely restore the controller. It took some time but I managed to acquire all the components I needed which included all four of the rusted relays ,the rectifier ,resistors and the switches. I cleaned up the Emg (lop) relay, the internals were clean and everything seems in order but, I'm concerned about the corrosion of the heating element . The relay is a 320a104 with a circuit board attached containing a micro switch ,which apparently is only used to send a remote alarm. I have to test the thing somehow . I don't want it to come back and bite me if the coil fails .Any help or advice here is welcomed. The deeper I get into this machine the more I come to appreciate it's quality. They really don't make anything like this anymore. I managed to mouse proof the housing with the 1/4 inch screening as was suggested .The sheets provided by Doug proved especially helpful as was all the advice and help provided on the posts .There is a lot of work here but I'm having a little fun too. Thanks to all. Jim
Old 11-01-2014, 07:56:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
...I have to test the thing somehow . I don't want it to come back and bite me if the coil fails .Any help or advice here is welcomed. ...
Too lazy to look up your wiring diagram. But I'm 98.3% sure all you have to do to test the LOP system is start the engine, and then short the oil pressure switch to ground. Within a minute or so, the LOP breaker should trip and shut down the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post: