Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Can anyone tell me the price of...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1116 times

Old 04-16-2018, 01:44:49 PM
Email NOT Working

Default Re: can anyone tell me the price of.........

If it is like my county the contracting process for jobs like this is posted on the web site pretty quickly so you can look over the specs and bidders for jobs like this and kind of see how it develops. If not you should be able to ask the secretary for a copy of it. Then post the details on here and we can pick it apart. In my experience the generator itself is very roughly half the cost of the job or maybe even 1/3 the cost, all the ancillary work is what costs. Then also don't forget contractors have to have scads of money to pay for ridiculous requirements of government jobs such as extra insurance, all kinds of compliance nonsense, etc. etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 03:11:22 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Wait until there is a power failure, and your hall loses lights, computers and what else they need to operate. If your building has a basement, the sump pump will not operate and that will endanger any electronic devices down there, like AC compressors and heating plants and blowers. my hall did the same thing, and lost a lot of equipment, not once but twice. After the second time they wised up, but it cost them dearly to replace the generator they scrapped. Not a lot of happy members after the second loss Well, they are the ones who voted to rip out the old one, saying "We don't need a generator, rip it out!"
We are here to serve not just the membership but the public as a whole.
That was my argument but the bean counters and narrow sighted pricks had the day ( we had an election and the bums are back on the tools where they belong too Getting their hands dirty ! )

Our old hall burned in fire ( arson on the eve of our worst strike ever )
It was sold to us by the legion and we loved it.
The vets were always welcome and the public could use one of the huge two room for weddings and social events.
I still feel the loss a decade later.

The Following User Says Thank You to Newoldstock For This Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 03:21:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken Vogt View Post
If it is like my county the contracting process for jobs like this is posted on the web site pretty quickly so you can look over the specs and bidders for jobs like this and kind of see how it develops. If not you should be able to ask the secretary for a copy of it. Then post the details on here and we can pick it apart. In my experience the generator itself is very roughly half the cost of the job or maybe even 1/3 the cost, all the ancillary work is what costs. Then also don't forget contractors have to have scads of money to pay for ridiculous requirements of government jobs such as extra insurance, all kinds of compliance nonsense, etc. etc.
They probably got a Low Ball bid from the "Marx Brothers" generator supply and got stuck with some P.O.S. GENERAC generator.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:31:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,042 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
They probably got a Low Ball bid from the "Marx Brothers" generator supply and got stuck with some P.O.S. GENERAC generator.
I have seen that happen...
Old 04-16-2018, 04:17:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,771 Times in 1,480 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone tell me the price of...

I happened to walk by one of the generators on the courthouse grounds. Its a Multiquip. Not sure how good or dependable they are but this one has been here about 10 years and to my knowledge hasn't had a thing done to it other than oil and filter type maintenance.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:40:01 PM
Sponsor

post 9-11, with a federal grant, city hall replaced the 45KW emergency buss
[police and communications] with a whole building 150 KW [also diesel]

the main entrance panel had a big fused disconnect
this was re-routed to the outside generator and transfer system
the output routed back in to the main distribution panel
[previously fed by the disconnect]

the two main inside panels are in a common structure and had a large
bond, gnd, neutral buss bar extending through both.

the 45KW system transfer was removed and the emergency buss
fed the same as all the other building sub panel [all 208-5 wire]
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonMillTexas View Post
My town just purchased a 500KW generator to power the town hall in an emergency....I feel they way over paid.
Was the purchase price just for the generator, or did it include installation? There are several factors to consider.

The generator price may include:
- generator
- fuel tank, if diesel. This will probably be a dual wall tank that makes up the base of the generator, if the unit is located outdoors. The tank for a 500 kW genset could easily be 1200-2000 gallons or larger, depending on the run time required before refueling.
- generator enclosure, if installed outdoors. A sound attenuated enclosure will be much more expensive than just a weather housing.
- the mufffler. A critical grade silencer will be more expensive than a residential grade or industrial grade silencer.
- automatic transfer switch. An ATS with an outdoor enclosure will cost more than one with an indoor enclosure. A service entrance rated switch can cost considerably more than a non-SE rated switch. Also, add several thousand dollars if the transfer switch is a closed transition type (make before break), instead of open transition. (break before make.)
- Accessories such as a day tank, fuel transfer pump, battery charger (These ain't your average battery charger!), remote annunciator, etc.
- extended warranty.

Installation can include:
- concrete pad for the generator (and ATS, if located outdoors.) This is usually subcontracted to a general contractor or concrete contractor.
- If being installed for an existing building that didn't have a generator previously, the electrical system will have to be reworked to incorporate the ATS. For a 500 kW genset installation, major power feeders (possibly the service entrance feeders for the entire building) will have to be rerouted through the new transfer switch. This will typically require a scheduled utility outage for the installers to perform this portion of the project, and must be scheduled to the customer's needs or convenience. If this work can only be scheduled during certain times like weekends or holidays, additional crews and overtime labor may be required to perform the work in the alloted time.
- fees charged by the utility company for their involvement in the project.
- various permits. (The permit fee may be waived for a public project, but there are still costs involved in obtaining the permit.)

IMHO, an extended warranty on the equipment (genset & ATS) is worthwhile. The dependency on electronics in today's emergency power systems is incredible. If a module in the generator or the ATS controller fails out of warranty (typically 1-2 years for the standard manufacturer's warranty), the replacement cost of that single item can easily exceed the cost of the extended warranty. Make sure the warranty includes parts and labor for the duration of the extension. Be aware that a 5 year extended warranty doesn't necessarily extend the warranty for an additional five years, but will extend the base warranty for a total of five years. Also, be aware that warranties typically don't cover consumables like oil, filters, belts, coolant, spark plugs (if gaseous). I used to take issue with Cummins, because they did not cover the coolant heaters in their extended warranties. They claimed the heaters were a vended item, and were the responsibility of the heater manufacturer.

One final note on costs. It was my experience that the cost difference of a diesel genset vs a gaseous genset was generally negligible, when the base tank for diesel and the gas system installation were considered in the overall price. Of course, there were exceptions depending on specific jobsite conditons.

For the final musings of a former installing contractor, many customers were shocked/floored when I gave them the price. At the end of the project, they would usually tell me they had no idea how much work was involved in installing a generator system for their building.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:40:20 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,643 Times in 3,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJudge View Post
but seems like it begins with Power________ something.
On Site Power is a brand we see here in the Midwest quite often. I have run gas to a couple in the 75-100 KW range. The electrician that installed them speaks highly of them, but he does not "work" on generators so this may not mean much.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:25:13 AM
Subscriber

Just had a look up and the last one we had installed was approx. $300,000 all in.
We make sure there's no "low ball" trash bids with trash generators by doing a price/quality analysis for each tender, with quality accounting for 66% of the points available, and price counting for 34%. The tenderer with the highest score wins the contract, obviously.
That was a big Cummins powered beastie, with installation and everything included.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46:52 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJudge View Post
I happened to walk by one of the generators on the courthouse grounds. Its a Multiquip. Not sure how good or dependable they are but this one has been here about 10 years and to my knowledge hasn't had a thing done to it other than oil and filter type maintenance.
They are gold standard quality as far as I've been told in here, what you buy if money is no object. I still want one.