Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Winco WC6000HE-D stator rewind

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 353 times

Old 07-13-2019, 03:34:38 AM
Registered

Default Winco WC6000HE-D stator rewind

I have a Winco WC6000HE-D generator bought at a local auction. I knew it wasn't working but at $18 I figured it was a reasonable speculation. The engine is in good condition and runs like a champ but the generator section produces nothing.

I've tried reflashing the generator several times with no results. There is essentially no output (less than 1V AC) from the generator when running.

The rotor appears in reasonable condition which is a good thing as it won't release from the driveshaft.

After pulling the stator it appears that the previous owner cooked the inner layer of stator windings. The generator fan doesn't seem to move much air through it so this is not surprising.

The local generator shop quoted $400 to rewind the stator. It is a reasonable price but I can't afford it.

I have the necessary 18 AWG magnet wire but I've never rewound a generator. Winco kindly supplied the winding specification (see attachment) but I can't figure out what is being specified in the stator winding section -- I've highlighted that in purple. Clearly they are referring to something about the 17 turns on the winding.

a) Is this rewind a project I can reasonably attempt myself and expect success?

b) What is that stator winding spec referring to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StatorWindings.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	338968  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2019, 01:19:53 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Winco WC6000HE-D stator rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoBuchner View Post
Winco kindly supplied the winding specification (see attachment) but I can't figure out what is being specified in the stator winding section -- I've highlighted that in purple. Clearly they are referring to something about the 17 turns on the winding.

a) Is this rewind a project I can reasonably attempt myself and expect success?

b) What is that stator winding spec referring to?
a) - IF you carefully remove the old windings, noting all details of their arrangement and connections, then duplicate with new wire, slot liners, lacing, etc AND have your local rewind shop dip and bake the stator afterwards, yes, it's doable.

b) The stator winding spec is in 2 parts - winding 1, first part says 17 turns TOTAL of 5 strands of #18 in parallel, second part says those 17 turns are arranged as 1 turn spanning slots 5 and 8 leading to 4 turns spanning slots 4 and 9 leading to 4 turns spanning slots 3 and 10 leading to 4 turns spanning slots 2 and 11 leading to 4 turns spanning slots 1 and 12. Similar arrangement for windings 2 and 3.

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to AlanR For This Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 02:51:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Winco WC6000HE-D stator rewind

Thank you, Alan. Money is short but time and patience I do have. Now that I know the coil winding configuration I can probably get along with good pictures taken along the way.

I'll find out what it will cost to have the stator potted and baked and then, deo volente, I can get started on the teardown.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeoBuchner For This Post: