Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Another Restoration Project Started

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 3258 times

Old 06-28-2019, 11:00:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,276 Times in 695 Posts
Default Re: Another Restoration Project Started

It looks like the engine is made for it. What did you have to do for the rear mounts?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2019, 05:51:27 AM
Registered-I

I used some half inch plate to make a f shaped bracket to connect from the frame to the factory rear mount. I'll have to take a picture and post it
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17:29 PM
Registered-I

Well after a short work week and then some time off camping and a little fishing with the family for the holiday. Another long and hot work week, I was able to get a working brake pedal. Still have some work on the clutch. Also I was able to plumb up the radiator. I filled it and it holds about 10 gallons. Fired up the rd450 to see if the cooling system would work with the engine ( a non pressure system) or would I have to change to pressure system. After about 30 mins, I checked the temp at the engine at 164 and at the radiator outlet at 84. That was a pleasant surprise to see those temps. This was only at an idle and not under a load, but I believe my worries about the cooling system are over
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 11:05:33 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like it's almost joy riding time and you can enjoy the results of the hard work. I hope you are keeping all the old pieces so as money/parts can be found some day it can be returned to original?.
Nathan.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:01:05 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbie View Post
Well after a short work week and then some time off camping and a little fishing with the family for the holiday. Another long and hot work week, I was able to get a working brake pedal. Still have some work on the clutch. Also I was able to plumb up the radiator. I filled it and it holds about 10 gallons. Fired up the rd450 to see if the cooling system would work with the engine ( a non pressure system) or would I have to change to pressure system. After about 30 mins, I checked the temp at the engine at 164 and at the radiator outlet at 84. That was a pleasant surprise to see those temps. This was only at an idle and not under a load, but I believe my worries about the cooling system are over
10 Gal is about what my Semi's with 855 Cummins and Cat 3406's hold, you should have no problems, as I stated before, with keeping that cool, as long as the radiator is in good shape.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59:52 PM
Registered-I

The only thing I need to do to the radiator is put new gaskets in it
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubbie For This Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 06:27:07 PM
Registered-I

I had a good day. I sealed the driveway and with the family gone for the day, I finally got a chance to do some work on the truck. Since my last post, I've been able to get a working clutch and brake pedals.so today it was time to get the floor board in. I made a pattern for the area around the pedals and steering column. I think that by the time I get the rubber mat down and make or buy something to make up the area that's around the pedals and gear stick and e brake it will look really good. The next thing is to figure out the accelator linkage and get the needed measurements for the drive shaft so it can be modified to work with the new trans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hubbie For This Post: