Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Converting a Magneto to Standard Ignition Coil

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 1791 times

Old 08-12-2018, 08:44:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Converting a Magneto to Standard Ignition Coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
Meh, itís actually pretty simple to do with an off the shelf MPU and timing module if you want an advance curve. Your fix works for you and youíre happy. I donít have a mag that needs fixing so idgaf
Yes, I did find a kit and there may be kits that would fit the Kohler l654. For those considering such a mod, check out

https://www.jegs.com/p/MSD-Ignition/...47824/10002/-1

Prices will bring tears but my system works and my feeling is similar to yours, idgaf.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 02:36:54 AM
Registered-III

Of course I do foggy. But when something fails and often as you have described the last thing I would do is buy another one of the same. If the coil fails on a regular basis I would have my maggy man rewind me one and do a proper job of it and not something that has been in-adequate.
I understand your wish to change from something unreliable but once the problem area is found cure the problem and not the system.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:01:43 PM
eMail NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Do you find it odd that there are over 1000 Honda small engine magneto coils offered for sale if there is no market for them?...
I should have mentioned coils for sale on Ebay alone

Not at all. The OEM Honda magnetos are in high demand, because there's millions of Honda CLONE engines out there with lousy magnetos. Guys buy the clones, remove the junk original ignitions, nix the failure-prone oil level detectors, and the clone carbeurators, and install HONDA parts instead. Only problem it doesn't solve is poor quality control in castings.

My Honda GX660 came from China, which I met with dismay, because I have many, many, many other Honda engines of power equipment, motorcycle, and automotive, all Japanese, and amazingly trouble-free. Soichiro Honda was always a stalwart for reliability- his wife's input made reliability of extreme performance in every aspect of his company's products. His successors kept that mantra in high regard. I hope that the Chinese-made GX in my little front-end-loader tractor proves true to that form. In all my Hondas, I've never had a single ignition failure. My CX500D (a Soichiro Irimajiri design) has well over 350,000 miles, and I've never had the engine open... still running original coils, wires, and mebbie I've replaced the plugs 10 times total.

---------- Post added at 10:01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yes, I did find a kit and there may be kits that would fit the Kohler l654. For those considering such a mod, check out

https://www.jegs.com/p/MSD-Ignition/...47824/10002/-1

Prices will bring tears but my system works and my feeling is similar to yours, idgaf.
That's the stark opposite of the way to do it.

Mount a magnet on the crank. Mount two proximity sensors on a bracket on the front of the block. Connect a GM HEI trigger module to each prox sensor. Connect the trigger module's output to the primary of a double-ended automotive coil. Connect a plug lead from one coil to plug 1 and 4. Do same for other coil, to plug 2 and 3. Adjust your prox sensor positions with timing light, and you're running. Prox sensors under $25 each. HEI modules and coils same. You're in business, with NO contact points, no condenser, and totally explosion proof for under $100.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:22:06 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Kohler l654 Engineís Magneto (7.5KW Genny)

[QUOTE=foggysail;1504104I will start with the ABYC first! Dkamp, if you are referring to this fine organization, PLEASE state the facts. First the ABYC is an advisory group only and further, I could not find anything pertaining to them frowning on a magneto conversion. [/QUOTE]

You are entirely correct- The ABYC is an advisory group only. So is the NFPA... they're the authors of National Electric Code, and as you'll read in the fine print of both, neither consider themselves 'law'.

Now read the fine print of ANY insurance underwriter, and ask ANY liscensed marine surveyor. If an LMS steps onto a vessel that is in consideration for insurance coverage, and it is found to not be compliant with ABYC standards, it will NOT be underwritten for coverage.

IF a COVERED vessel fails LMS inspection for any explosion-proof components being modified or disabled, the coverage is terminated permanently. If it's found AFTER an accident, even if it's not part of the accident, you're S.O.L.

I've done many a survey, and found all sorts of interesting things... missing anti-siphon valves (at the fuel tank), bilge blower vents that'd been cut off and discarded, open-knife type battery switches, automotive carbeurators, distributors, alternators, and starters, starter solenoids, electric fuel pumps... and that's just engine compartment. Fortunately, most of them were found in vessels that hadn't exploded or burned up. I've recovered too many that were not so lucky.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:47:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post

Mount a magnet on the crank. Mount two proximity sensors on a bracket on the front of the block. Connect a GM HEI trigger module to each prox sensor. Connect the trigger module's output to the primary of a double-ended automotive coil. Connect a plug lead from one coil to plug 1 and 4. Do same for other coil, to plug 2 and 3. Adjust your prox sensor positions with timing light, and you're running. Prox sensors under $25 each. HEI modules and coils same. You're in business, with NO contact points, no condenser, and totally explosion proof for under $100.

WOW! First I thought you believed in NOT making any changes to the ancient magnetos for fear of an insurance cancellation. But itís OK to chuck the entire system and replace it with a flying magnet and who knows what else to implement a cockeyed design and surveyors approve this poop? And surveyors will not approve an ignition coil that is currently as I type found in millions of cars???? Interesting
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14:02 PM
eMail NOT Working

They won't approve you modifying the magneto. Period. You use OEM or ABYC-listed replacement ignition only. Kohler's support for the L600 marine variants still exists- if there are marine ignition conversion kits available, I'm certain they'll point you in the proper direction. The magneto base of the L600 is identical to those used on a large majority of other marinized platforms. Delco-Remy, Mallory, and Prestolite units are found on Graymarine, Northern Lights, Chris-Craft, Universal Marine, and a dozen others, and they're all carrying ABYC compliance labels. I would not be the least bit surprised if Kohler offered battery-coil, and if so, their marine parts list probably shows cross-references for the DR, Mallory, and Prestolite systems.

In a non-marine environment, going to flying magnet, inductive prox pickup eliminates the whole works, including the rotor and mechanism. If you believe it to be a 'cockeyed' design, lift the hood of any new car. If it doesn't have independant plug-on-coil, it's running wasted-spark double-ended. Every modern engine with an ECM has at least one prox sensor on the flywheel, usually one on the cam, or off what USED to be the distributor. It's very popular with tractor pullers, because it does NOT exhibit cross-cap firing when under extreme compression, does not exhibit false triggering (like a reluctor wheel can when it bounces from gear lash and cam harmonics) and is not affected by blowby gases (forced up the distributor base).
Old 08-14-2018, 09:20:15 PM
Registered-I

dkamp I suppose like my best half's 2001 Buick Regal V6. Three coils with two plug wires per coil.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:29:08 PM
eMail NOT Working

Yeah, those work great... I helped a buddy set up a high-revving 250 Chev inline with a trio of 'em on a batch-fire MegaSquirt system a few years ago... 11.5:1 lump port and .512 lift... what a beast!