Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Battery Charging

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 5117 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2005, 09:58:36 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,439 Times in 682 Posts
Default Battery Charging

The current thread about trailer winches has me wondering about charging a winch battery on the trailer from the truck. I want to mount my winch on the trailer with its own battery. I also want to slowly charge the winch battry while I drive with power from the truck. I have a accessory wire on my 6 pin connector already. The wire is currently being used to charge the small battery for the emergency brakes. My accessory wire is 12 or 14 Ga. I know that I can't simply run a hot wire to the winch battery because the battery will draw a bunch of current if it is low. High current = melted wire. How do a limit the current to allow trickle charging?