Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin BKND

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 8206 times

Old 04-22-2008, 11:15:46 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin BKND

Here is a Wisconsin BKND I picked up last week....has a centrifugal clutch...not sure what it would have been used for. It is in pretty decent condition, and looks like I only need to give the fuel tank and filter a good cleaning out before running. A lot easier to move around than the AENL !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010220.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	32739   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010221.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	32740   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010222.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	32741   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010223.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	32742  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 08:06:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin BKND

I don't know anything about Wisconsin engines, but that pulley on it looks like half of a Salisbury torque converter. If so, it was probably used on some sort of self propelled equipment, such as a motor scooter or golf cart.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40:00 PM
Registered

Your engine is most likely off of a Whiteman concrete buggy. You will need the driven end of the torque converter and the right belt to use this setup for powering a piece of equipment. The drive ratio with the correct driven pulley will vary from 3:1 to 1:1 as your engine RPM increases. If you don't want the drive unit, it should be readily saleable.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:15:22 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Can you explain how the torque converter works ??
Old 04-24-2008, 01:24:49 PM
Subscriber

If you don't get an answer, you could PM Bill Chasser who posts regularly on this site. He is a Salsbury Scooter guy an probably has some first hand experience with the torque converter.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

From studying your pictures, it looks like the aluminum drum closest to the engine houses a typical centrifugal clutch like you would find on a go-kart or chain saw. As the engine speed comes up to a certain point, pivoting shoes on the crankshaft are thrown outward and contact the outer drum causing it to turn - thereby transmitting power to whatever the engine drives. At idle speed, springs hold the shoes in and there is no contact with the outer drum
The outer part of the assembly probably has centrifugal weights that force the walls of the pulley together as it speed up. This has the belt low in the groove like a small pulley for a speed reduction when starting out, but as the engine speeds up, the walls coming together make it act like a larger pulley - Forcing the belt outward for less reduction & higher speed of the driven machinery.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 04-25-2008, 02:01:34 AM
Registered

Thank you Craig for the recommendation. I'm always willing to help out with Salsbury equipment questions. Parts and services.

John described its operation pretty well.

Dick is correct that the Whiteman concrete buggy is certainly one application. There is a vintage Whiteman near my home being used as yard art and the old woman who has possession of it has no intentions of selling it because it reminds her of her late husband(?). The Whiteman application as well as Hyster turret trucks and others used these setups. Because of the yellow color I would almost say it came from a Hyster turret truck as it was a fleet color. I'm not aware as to what colors were available for the Whitemans as the only one of that vintage I have seen is a rusted hulk with no remnants of color and old pics have been black and white.

If you are interested in selling the clutch and pulley I would be interested in talking with you. You should not operate this clutch and pulley setup without its driving mate or you may damage what you have. The pulley and its parts have been obsolete since the late 60s with parts now difficult to come by. Your pulley and clutch are a Salsbury mdl 600 and was first introduced on the Salsbury Mdl 85 motor scooter in 1946. It was later used on various outside venders equipment and the rights were eventually sold to Comet Industries who destroyed all the tooling so no new parts are available. There was conversation with the powers that be at Comet several years ago to try and retool but they are not interested in any further ventures beyond their current offerings. There are two designs to the Salsbury variable speed drives. They are either speed or torque sensitive designs. The Mdl 600 is a speed sensitive drive where rpm determines the pulleys dimensions. The torque designs operate by loading the pulley. If you are familiar with contemporary snowmobiles or the current Comet offerings they are of the torque design. You can not use a mix of torque and speed pulleys and have a satisfactory result because they operate on differing principles.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions you are certainly welcome to contact me via my PM here or at salsburyrocketman@yahoo.com

Regards , Bill
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54:26 PM
Registered

Here's a Whiteman sheet. Typically, the WBS models were painted yellow, the DB and FR models were red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whiteman.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	34275  
Old 04-28-2010, 03:03:02 PM
Registered

Do you have any more Whiteman Power buggy info?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,477 Times in 1,997 Posts

I have a buddie who is trying to sell 2 whiteman buggies both complete and in pretty good shape, im not sure wich engines they have as they are covered up, ill find out more and maybe post them in the right area
Old 05-16-2018, 01:28:09 AM
Registered

Seems that your the man with the answer regarding Wisconsin motors. I have a 7hp BKN, Model AA-97.
Got it running, but just ordered a new carb. kit to rebuild it.
The motor is on a Whitema Power Buggy, and I wanted to know if the carb kit I ordered is correct? I get the "BKN kit float ZC92"
Thanks.
[IMG]C:\Users\Willgates\Desktop\Power Buggy\Wisconsin Engine\img_1737.jpg[/IMG]

---------- Post added at 12:54:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49:50 AM ----------

[QUOTE=Willgates51;1485530]Seems that your the man with the answer regarding Wisconsin motors. I have a 7hp BKN, Model AA-97.
The motor is on a Whitema Power Buggy, and I wanted to know if the carb kit I ordered is correct? I get the "BKN kit float ZC92"
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:58:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54:09 AM ----------

Seems that your the man with the answer regarding Wisconsin motors. I have a 7hp BKN, Model AA-97.
Thanks.

How do I put Pics on here?

---------- Post added at 01:28:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58:28 AM ----------

What the guy asking for the 2 whiteman buggies?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34:42 PM
Registered

Can't help you with the pics as I am stymied myself. But notice that the post mentioning the two Whitemans for sale is dated 2010. It is unlikely that they are still for sale.

As to the carb kit, there were at least two carburetors used on the BKN engine, for sure a Zenith and I THINK the other is a Marvel Schebler. You should verify which one you have before ordering parts.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:59:40 PM
Registered

still have clutch intrested in selling clutch thanks dan !~