Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

International LA newbie needs help

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 693 times

Old 07-22-2019, 08:44:46 AM
Registered

Smile International LA newbie needs help

Hi guys,recently got a ihc la motor which runs not too bad but have a heap of questions-very hard to start when cold,use electric drill- but when hot will hand start.New points,new plug,tappets done,new gasket on inlet manifold.Question about fuel pipe-what is purpose of check valve as my pipe nut seems to have plastic insert which seats at top of mesh filter containing check valve and plastic is split.Still learning so any help will be appreciated,cheers Beej
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 04:55:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default Re: International LA newbie needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Question about fuel pipe-what is the purpose of check valve as my pipe nut seems to have plastic insert which seats at top of mesh filter containing check valve and plastic is split.Still learning so any help will be appreciated,cheers Beej
Hello Beej
Pictures help.

The check valve stops fuel from running back down the pipe. Every time the carb tries to pull fuel up from the tank the non-return valve stops the fuel from running back down into the tank. The effective fuel level is at the carby and not at the fuel level in the tank.
I don't know those engines but is the pipe nut your talking about screw down onto the top of the fuel tank ie keeps dust out and fuel in?
A lot of these old engines need to educate the people trying to start then from cold. Some engines take me ages (days/weeks) to figure out how much mixture and how much choke is needed to start easy from cold. The settings can be very different from what their books say. I normally start on what the book says and try to start. No success then check spark plug to see if it's wet or dry. Wet, go back and less choke or mixture or both. Dry plug then more on the mixture......and so-forth over and over until you find the happy median for cold starting.

We've just been playing with a Moffat Virtue V3. Everybody at the museum reckons it's buggered as they can't start it. It took me about 3 days to figure out the setting for starting but it seems only I can start the bloody thing. When I see how others are trying to start it, they simply haven't put the mixture and choke where I worked out. I move the mixture etc and away it goes. Amasing!! Maybe they're smarter then me and just don't want to get down and crank?

Cheers Scott
PS: patience is a virtue.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:12:12 AM
Registered

Thankyou Scott for explaining the fuel pipe system.New to this computer stuff and still trying to work out the picture thing,no 5yr old in my family lol.i will try different settings when cold like you said and hopefully find the right one as im pretty certain i have the hot ones sorted and your right,patience certainly needed,cheers Beej
Old 07-23-2019, 07:05:18 AM
Registered

"Patience is a virtue" a Moffatt Virtue?

Welcome beej and Scotty has offered some great advice. Sounds like the check valve is allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank when sitting a bit of time. So clean the valve and make sure there are no air leaks between the pick up tube and carby.

Once sorted it will bring hours of entertainment and fun. Posting pics once shown how to is easy but it just doing that first couple and then you learn the next thing that bothers you. On many of these Forums the pics need to be compressed before posting. So grab a youngen and get them to show you. Different members have different ways of compressing an image but I use Microsft Picture Manager as it is alreadyon my puta and have used it for many years.

Good luck with solving the minor issue and look forward to hearing that it now starts from cold.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40:58 AM
Registered

The engine has a impulse magneto.It should be cranked in half turns and not round and round for the magneto to give the best spark.If you sort out the fuel issues as well it should be fine.Both of mine are very easy starters both hot and cold
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanzalldog For This Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 08:21:18 AM
Registered

Hi guys,thanks for all the advice to help get me sorted.There is an issue with the fuel valve which i have overcome in the short term by slightly pressurising tank when cold,got the positions for the mixture screw sorted and now hand starts easily hot or cold.Off to my first display in 2 weeks and cant wait
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beej For This Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 02:41:56 AM
Registered

Good to hear that you have it almost sorted. What do you feel is the problem and what do you need to fix it?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:02:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Hi guys,thanks for all the advice to help get me sorted.There is an issue with the fuel valve which i have overcome in the short term by slightly pressurising tank when cold,got the positions for the mixture screw sorted and now hand starts easily hot or cold.Off to my first display in 2 weeks and cant wait
Are you using the choke when you are trying to start it?
Old 08-06-2019, 07:15:55 AM
Registered

hi guys,the fuel pipe appears to drain back when stationary for a couple of hours.The nut on the check valve end has some sort of plastic insert fitted which is split and the nut has 2 splits down the sides also and just doesnt look right.Have a display this weekend and meeting a guy who has spares for this engine and he is going to help me sort it,cheers beej. ps am using choke to start
The Following User Says Thank You to beej For This Post: