Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin Ariens AHH

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 4498 times

Old 08-15-2012, 02:54:50 AM
Registered

Default Wisconsin Ariens AHH

Picked this up last year at an engine auction. Had no intention of buying it but it went so cheap and i didn't want to see it in the scrap-man's load so after getting a hernia loading it and spilling oil thru the lower crankcase mounting bolt-holes (now plugged with bolts) i lugged it home. I figured i would find a new home for it but i've since decided to keep it so now i'm wondering about the serial number. All the numbers on the tag look hand stamped, a little crooked, heavier in some spots. Other Wisconsin engine tags i've seen are stamped much more uniform. So did Ariens stamp this tag with their own numbers or is this a Wisconsin serial number?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 033.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	142472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 032.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	142473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 035.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	142474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 040.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	142475  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin/Ariens AHH

My theory is that Ariens threw away the original Wisconsin tag and stamped the numbers on their own tag. That's a Wisconsin serial number that follows "AHH".

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22:27 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,020 Times in 708 Posts

I like the crank starter case on the side of the block. Is that something these AHH's had from the factory?, an Ariens accessory? or a homemade piece?

I have seen several AHH's and similar AGH's and AGN's and none have had that piece.

That ole AHH is a great engine. Give her a good carb/head/tank and oil pan cleaning and she will be ready for another 100 years of service...

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,274 Times in 696 Posts

It looks like the engine may have had a clutch on it as short as the output shaft is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 12:49:29 AM
Registered

My knowledge of Wisconsin engines is rather limited but the starter-crank holder or case is probably an Ariens add on. I have another AHH (with a big clutch assembly) in storage and it does not have the that holder.
With these large engines i usually don't drop the pan unless i detect a lot of sludge but this engine seemed rather clean so a quick flush and refill fit the bill. The gas tank is also quite clean so i poured some in and gave it a few cranks and it took rite off and runs well. It's in excellent mechanical condition so it must not have worked too hard or it was well maintaned.
This is definately set up for direct crankcase mounting as i discovered when the oil came pouring out the bottom holes all over me and my ride. But i don't know if it had it's own clutch assembly or if it bolted directly to the machine. Either way it must have been one hell of a machine. If anybody has a picture of one please post it.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:07:12 AM
Registered

Hi

The Wisconsin single cylinder engines except for the Robin have a simple up and down oil pump that pumps oil into a trough that the connecting rod big end dips into every revolution. These pumps have a history of the bottom check ball sticking to the seat. I would not recommend ever running a Wisconsin single cylinder or the TE, TF, TH and the TJ that have been sitting unused without first gaining access to the oil pump and making sure it is pumping oil.

We were a Wisconsin dealer for over 50 years. The farmers in our area would store their irrigation pumps for the summer season. When the farmers started using them for the winter season we had a significant number of these engines suffer damage from lack of lubrication for this reason.

Phil P
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil P For This Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 07:27:16 PM
Subscriber

Doug,
Here's a video of a big Ariens tiller like the one your engine was on. I used to own this tiller, but sold it several years ago. Supposedly, this video is played in an Ariens company museum in Brillion, Wisconsin. I was asked permission to use it by Dan Ariens, himself.

SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,020 Times in 708 Posts

Mike, I have seen that video a number of times. I am in search of a Wisconsin AHH, TF or TH powered Trans-A-Matic of my own. Last month I brought my 1973 Howard Gem Rotavator to a local antique engine show and had a little competition with another collectors Trans-A-Matic. His Ariens had the 9.2hp Wisconsin AENL on it and my Howard has an 18.2hp Wisconsin TJD on it. I'd hate to say it in an Ariens thread, but my Howard Gem tilled laps around the Ariens

Chris
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06:34 PM
Subscriber

Chris, I bet you did till laps around the Ariens with twice the horsepower! Kind of a lop-sided competition, wouldn't you say?

SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 06-09-2015, 01:29:45 AM
Registered

I believe the Model B on your tag refers to Ariens Model B Tiller. I have a model B with the same tag and the crank starter case.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin Ariens AHH

Being as I am of dubious sanity, I have both the model B tiller with the AHH Wisconsin and the TA28 with the twin TH. They are completely different machines in every way. The model B has a much higher ground speed than the bigger TA28, and with its small 18" tilling width, nothing bothers it much. Even in heavy digging the engine loafs along the way AHH's love to do. Mine even has a fixed governor, set to something like 1800 RPM.

I don't know all that much about the TA28, since I only bought it late last fall. I tried it a couple of times and like the B it just purrs along leaving powder in its wake. My first impression of the thing was, it has, as I already said, a much lower ground speed. It's also much heavier built, probably much overbuilt for its tilling width. Its biggest advantage is it has the tines driven by a chain at one side of the tiller, whereas most tillers have a gear drive in the center, which results in a little untilled strip in the middle. It also has an external slip clutch on the actual tine shaft, where the model B supposedly has an internal slip clutch.

My understanding is Ariens basically offered five big tillers over a period of time. They started sometime in the 30's (I think) with a model A, which is the biggest of them all with a 4 cylinder inline air cooled Wisconsin engine. The model B, which I have, has the AHH single. The model C looks just like a narrowed model B and has an AFH or AGH engine. The A seems to be a unique machine but the B and C appear to share many parts. From what I have read and seen, the B's and C's, at least, were available in various tilling widths. I think these tillers, or at least the B's, were built into the early 50's. I think mine is a later one because it has the Zenith carburetor but I'm not sure since some previous owner conveniently jettisoned the name tag.

These were replaced by the TA20, with a Wisconsin AENL and the TA28 with the twin. I believe these were built from the early-mid 50's to the early 60's. Judging by the parts manual for these, I think many parts might interchange.And while I would not expect a TA20 to hold its own against a twin powered tiller, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the performance of any of these tillers. They're a joy to use and will tear through anything.

There's a fair amount of recollection and conjecture in this post, but while I may be off by a bit in some areas I believe everything included here to be basically correct.

I'll end with an offer and a request. If anyone wants any pictures of any part (or all) of either tiller, just drop me a PM, although be advised I'm not going to dismantle either machine to photograph inner workings! Be patient, I am not on this site every day so it may take a while but I will reply!

And now for my REQUEST: If anyone has a manual for the model B, I'd gladly pay to have a copy made and sent to me, or just as good, scanned in. The tine disengager doesn't work on mine and I'd like to see what's in there before I start exploring. If you have anything, please PM me, proviso as above.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Being as I am of dubious sanity, I have both the model B tiller with the AHH Wisconsin and the TA28 with the twin TH. They are completely different machines in every way. The model B has a much higher ground speed than the bigger TA28, and with its small 18" tilling width, nothing bothers it much. Even in heavy digging the engine loafs along the way AHH's love to do. Mine even has a fixed governor, set to something like 1800 RPM.

I don't know all that much about the TA28, since I only bought it late last fall. I tried it a couple of times and like the B it just purrs along leaving powder in its wake. My first impression of the thing was, it has, as I already said, a much lower ground speed. It's also much heavier built, probably much overbuilt for its tilling width. Its biggest advantage is it has the tines driven by a chain at one side of the tiller, whereas most tillers have a gear drive in the center, which results in a little untilled strip in the middle. It also has an external slip clutch on the actual tine shaft, where the model B supposedly has an internal slip clutch.

My understanding is Ariens basically offered five big tillers over a period of time. They started sometime in the 30's (I think) with a model A, which is the biggest of them all with a 4 cylinder inline air cooled Wisconsin engine. The model B, which I have, has the AHH single. The model C looks just like a narrowed model B and has an AFH or AGH engine. The A seems to be a unique machine but the B and C appear to share many parts. From what I have read and seen, the B's and C's, at least, were available in various tilling widths. I think these tillers, or at least the B's, were built into the early 50's. I think mine is a later one because it has the Zenith carburetor but I'm not sure since some previous owner conveniently jettisoned the name tag.

These were replaced by the TA20, with a Wisconsin AENL and the TA28 with the twin. I believe these were built from the early-mid 50's to the early 60's. Judging by the parts manual for these, I think many parts might interchange.And while I would not expect a TA20 to hold its own against a twin powered tiller, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the performance of any of these tillers. They're a joy to use and will tear through anything.

There's a fair amount of recollection and conjecture in this post, but while I may be off by a bit in some areas I believe everything included here to be basically correct.

I'll end with an offer and a request. If anyone wants any pictures of any part (or all) of either tiller, just drop me a PM, although be advised I'm not going to dismantle either machine to photograph inner workings! Be patient, I am not on this site every day so it may take a while but I will reply!

And now for my REQUEST: If anyone has a manual for the model B, I'd gladly pay to have a copy made and sent to me, or just as good, scanned in. The tine disengager doesn't work on mine and I'd like to see what's in there before I start exploring. If you have anything, please PM me, proviso as above.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:26:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin Ariens AHH

SEE YOUR COMMENTS ON THE ARIENS AHH ENGINE.
I HAVE A 1948, REFURBISHED TILLER, RUNNING BUT STILL NOT
PERFECT.
I HAVE THE PFD FOR THIS MODEL AND IT EXPLAINS THE INGAGEMENT PROCESS.
I WILL FORWARD IT TO YOU .
CONTACT ME @ hewittlk@mta.net SO I CAN EMAIL IT TO YOU.

THKS
DANIEL DRAPE ALASKA