Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Why generators?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2093 times

Old 02-20-2004, 12:35:34 AM
Mac Leod

Default Why generators?

HI

This may seem a bit odd but i why are generators popular for the old iron hobbie? please pardon my ignorance, i am new to the old engine hobbie. had my first engine since december of 03, just trying to learn what i can

thanks

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2004, 09:23:14 AM
David Greenwalt

Default Re: Why generators?

Hi Mac, one reason is because back in the days when these older engines were used, many houses and small businesses didn't have electricity available. So generators and old engines kind of go hand in hand. I used to have an engine with a dynamo that a traveling movie outfit used. They would set up a tent in open fields outside of towns in Georgia and show movies. That's just one reason, there are many others I'm sure. David.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:37:05 PM
Don C. Wiley

Mac;

It's also very exciting when you get the wrong thing hooked to the right thing and it's the 4th of July.

I'm into Delco-Light because my father-in-law (my best fishin' budy) was in the Delco-Light business before World War II.

I collect them for two reasons. 1- I studied industrial electronics and "almost" muderstand the electrical side of the antique "things". 2- My best fishin' budy passed away before we could get him a restored one for a Christmas present and I collect them partly to remember him.

There were some where around 60 different companies selling "Farm Generators" during the same time the other gas engines were being produced.

Delco-Light sold their first unit in 1916 and the last one in 1947. The government (Rural Electrification Authority REA) which was started in 1935, but wasn't implemented until 1939. When electricity came to the farm, that pretty well started the end to the "Farm Light Generators".

If you're interested in the history of the REA, check the link.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois

REA
Old 02-20-2004, 01:48:45 PM
Frank Y

Well, first off, why not? When I saw my light plant for the first time, I thought it would be a good reason to get my Dad involved in the hobby that he couldnt understand. He assembles circuit boards at work and is a Ham radio operator so i thought he might want to take a crack at getting a generator working. Turns out we both were stumped but after some figuring and alot of questions answered on this site, we got it working almost perfectly. We both had a fun time restoring it. Makes for a neat display too. Frank Y