Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

New problem, Windows 7

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 3610 times

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12:15 AM
Registered

Default New problem, Windows 7

I finally got the courage/stupidity to do the full install and get rid of my troublesome Vista.
Vista hasn't let me install anything in quite some time now, including the new external hard drive and MS easy transfer. so I saved what I could on flash drives and boldy pushed the door closed on the disc.

Although there was plenty of space in the computer, it pretty much ate up all of the Recovery section of the hard drive, and now 7 directs everything into recovery and not anywhere else, even though I have a 500g external hard drive plugged in. The computer recognizes the drive as part of the hard drive.
Also as figured, lost all my programs, favorites and much more that I probably won't miss.

I found this how to: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-7aa9218b172d
it doesn't work as the computer won't allow it.

Any other methods, thoughts or comments welcome!
I really don't want to get rid of it.

GUS

PS: I'm on line writing this with my new computer(bought yesterday), running Win 8 Basically I'm starting over from scratch.
I'm stumbling though, but it will take a while.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2013, 06:41:24 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts
Default Re: New problem, Win 7

Did you do a FULL install including a thorough format of the hard drive?
You may have seen a question about deleting the old partitions and reformatting the drive which is what you should have done.
Try reinstalling from the disc and pay close attention.
Delete ALL partitions so you start with a totally clean hard drive.
When 7 installs it recreate the necessary partitions.

By the way.......read that and get the download for WIN 8.......you'll love me for that....... >>> http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showpo...13&postcount=5
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24:16 PM
Registered

Craig A,
Just got windows 8 on a new lap top and tried your recommended down load and have got to say thank you as it made the damn thing look and work as it should.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dale Barnett For This Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 02:11:24 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,282 Times in 1,930 Posts

Do exactly what Craig said (no shortcuts), and should work perfect. W7 seems to require a larger recovery partition (drive D for most of us).
I have 5 machines in front of me that are used daily during the week- running XP, Vista, 7 - whatever I have licenses for.

I would put them all on 7 if I had the licenses. I am NOT buying more - Microsoft has enough of my $$$$.

The HD running this machine originally had 98, then XP, then Vista, now 7-64 Bit. 64 bit NTFS runs a tad faster than FAT, uses HD space more efficiently.

Did what Craig said around late 2009 or early 2010? Got a copy on sale at Staples, installed about 6-8 months after 7 came out - long enough for others to uncover any issues.

I run good virus/malware/ whatever software. Have had no issues with 7 since installed nearly 4 years ago .
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37:42 AM
Registered

Default Re: New problem, Windows 7

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies.
It's been a few weeks since I posted the Win 7 issue and have been desperately trying to get used to Win8 on the new computer.
It simply has a way different way of doing things than Vista did.

Craig, I like the sound of the download for Win 8 that you suggested, but, right now I'm a little put off about free downloads, they all seem to want to add things such as tool bars, and I already ended up doing a system restore after bungling up an attempt to kill an "ASK" toolbar that I simply couldn't get rid of. And yes I did uncheck the box that allowed it to be added, but it did so anyway.

It seems that the computer knows I'm "afraid' of it and it does it's best to confuse me to the point that I just keep pushing the wrong buttons.

Going back to the Win 7 thing, yes, I did a full install and may have seen the deleting partition question but did not really understand the implications.

I may go back and try it again, heeding yours and Power's suggestions, but that brings up another question. What would I do with two computers?
It seems kind of interesting, could I link it to this computer?
If so, how? Or maybe I'm better off not knowing, but I really don't like Win 8, yet I'm not even going to consider trying to install 7 in my new computer.

Froelich, I considered putting a new hard drive in as you suggested, but I just didn't want to dump any more $$$ into the dysfunctional little so and so. It seemed more realistic to apply the $$ toward the new $300 computer ( Walmart, Gateway, no screen or keyboard).

I have a lot of issues with Win 8 that are yet unanswered and may ask a few more questions some time soon, but not just now.

Many thanks
GUS
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45:05 PM
Registered

Get it functional. You always need 2, so you can still operate if/ when one gets messed up.
If you get a virus or malware, having another machine available to look up what to do is nice.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorGus View Post
Craig, I like the sound of the download for Win 8 that you suggested, but, right now I'm a little put off about free downloads, they all seem to want to add things such as tool bars,

Many thanks
GUS
Gus......the download I suggest and HIGHLY recommend is 100% FREE and CLEAN.
If it wasn't I wouldn't recommend it at all much less so highly.
On the off chance you WOULDN'T like it (chances are less than 0 I think) you can uninstall it........
Old 11-01-2013, 07:46:07 AM
Registered

Craig, When I turned to computer on this morning, as usual, I got that sick Win 8 feeling again, so I did the download, after about 2 seconds of use I like it. Feels like the good ol' days. It was a quick easy download, just as you said. Thanks

Power, I'm not gonna mess with my old machine just now, but I can see me playing around with it in the near future.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54:56 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Gang:

After a series of crashes to my XP in the last couple of weeks due to the latest "upgrade" package sent out by Microsloth (intended to get rid of XP?), I've decided to go with Windoze 7.

After this SMOKSTAK session, I'm going to do a scratch install including totally rebuilding the drives in my RAID.

If I never return here again, it's been nice knowin' 'y'all.

Goodbye, cruel world!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:13:37 PM

Elden......do yoursef' a favor and move up to 8.
It truly is THE best OS Microsoft has developed.
Use that little add-on to boot to the Ol' Fashioned desktop and you will barely realize you aren't still using XP.......
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,668 Times in 1,667 Posts

Craig, Is using the Windows button and the D button at the same time close to the same thing?? My wife still likes Windows 8 and I will probably be getting it soon. Thinking about a ASUS with solid state drive.. Any thoughts??

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 11-01-2013, 05:28:09 PM

All WIN + D will do is minimize a window.
Control + W will close whatever window is currently open.
There are 4 other keyboard shortcuts everyone should know: Control A (select all), Control + C (copy) Control + V (paste) Control + Z (previous page or undo) are indispensable.......

As for solid state drives I'm not convinced yet.
They aren't like "old fashioned" discs where you can rewrite over the same sector almost indefinitely.
In fact defragging SS drives is discouraged as it wastes part of the useful life of the SS sectors which can be written over a limited (still a HUGE number of times) number of times.
A system that spreads out the usage over entire SS drives is in place to maximize rewrite longevity but I'm sticking with good ol' mechanical drives which won't be going away any time soon.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:15:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
Elden......do yoursef' a favor and move up to 8.
It truly is THE best OS Microsoft has developed.
What does it do better than 7?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:41:05 PM
In Memory Of

Hey, Craig!

I survived the reload. Since I'd already gotten a copy of Win 7, that's what I installed. I even think my RAID has survived but I'll have to play around with the O.S. to find out where the disk utilities are so I can see if it's still intact. The RAID at least shows up in the motherboard setup and it says it's "healthy".

I'm slowly getting archived stuff reloaded and figuring out how to get everything to work. Since I don't do this often, I have to re-learn it all every time I do it.

Right now, I'm trying to get the WiFi to work. For some reason, the iPad sees the network but I can't log onto it. Tried changing passwords, security settings, etc. and so far, nothing works. The little blue light is blinking now on the transmitter now.

I also have to re-figure out how to get logged into my FTP so I can update my web page. It looks like the port number is missing. Would anyone know if there's a default port for FTP?

Anyhoo - I'm back adn not lost in space........At least 'til the next crash.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22:29 PM

What do you use for an ftp client?
I've used WISE FTP since I first needed a client.
It's all drag n' drop and the default port settings have worked for every site to which I've had access so.......
Old 11-02-2013, 07:07:12 AM
In Memory Of

Craig:

I use Filezilla but will try WiseFtp and see if it works.

I've still got email issues and the WiFi refuses to work. I think I'll try just totally stripping the email account and re-entering everything. The WiFi will also be removed and re-installed.

There's nothing liek 'puter problems for keeping me off my latest project.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:50:40 AM

Elden......I think you need to search for some drivers.
When you reformatted the HD all the hardware drivers went poof.
Open Device Manager (WIN + Pause/Break) and take it from there.......
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40:19 AM
In Memory Of

Craig:

I've done the "search for later drivers" thing when re-re-re-installing the WiFi and they are all up to date.

I believe some of my problems are from a virus that got through the firewall when downloading one of my programs. It's called "Snap.Do Engine" and really screwed-up FireFox until I manually removed the individual parts. There is still an entry for it in "remove programs" but it won't let me remove it.

I'm hoping that Avast! or Spybot will eventually include its description in their tables and take it the rest of the way out.

Also, my email account is screwed-up. No matter what I try, I can receive email but cannot send. The SMPT server won't accept my login although the POP3 will.

Maybe I shoulda junked this PeeCee and gotten a Mac. Grrrrr!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:32:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,717 Posts

Just a note for windows users,
I'm still using xp on this nine year old old box and so far so good. I'll update to 8 or replace the machine one of these days.

Here's the note. Download the free version of Malwarebytes and run it. You'll be surprised how much crap it uncovers. Data logging, spyware and many other things. When it highlights items at the end of a scan you can quarantine or delete them. The first time I ran it a few years ago it uncovered perhaps 150 line items of now resident nasties that had to be deleted.

The neat thing about MWB is that it runs in background and while surfing if you click on a site with hacker intent, it'll throw up a 'do you really want to go here' type of message.

Perhaps it's just my installation, but I have to manually update malwarebytes as the definition files aren't installed automatically. I click the update button every couple days and have had no grief since.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Perhaps it's just my installation, but I have to manually update malwarebytes as the definition files aren't installed automatically. I click the update button every couple days and have had no grief since.
Mine shows a message " the database is outdated by 2 days, would you like to update it"