Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Buzzacot Farm Pumper Rebuild

this thread has 141 replies and has been viewed 14278 times

Old 11-10-2013, 08:04:51 AM
Registered

Default Buzzacot Farm Pumper Rebuild

Hello all, I am rebuilding, or restoring, a farm pumper that was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago. From reading posts on this forum, it seems to be a buzzacot, serial 11383. I will try to put pictures up, as I know I have benefited from other people's information, so therefore hopefully I can help someone else.
This project could take some time, though, as I still have to track down and buy a few parts yet. Having said that, I have already managed to source some bits and pieces, (much to my surprise) through eBay, and with a little help from a guy from Dalby, Qld, Jim McCotter. Jim is a great guy, with plenty of advice, and old stories to tell. He sourced some bearings for me through Don Ried, and I will be leaning on both guys for more parts soon.
So thanks for reading, I hope this can help someone....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	179196  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 08:13:38 AM
Registered

Default Re: Buzzacot farm pumper rebuild

This is how I received the engine, with piston seized into cylinder. It had no timing gear, no head, no fuel tank or carburettor, no magneto. I loosened the piston from cylinder with some gentle heat. Jim McCotter cleaned all the upper cylinder parts, including a head I bought off eBay, eased out the rings for reuse, and freed the frozen valves for me. The cylinder will need to be sleeved, I will be taking that to a guy at montville, soon, to be sorted.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	315
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	179197  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28:52 AM
Registered

I have stripped the engine down as much as possible, sand blasted the lower crank case, or gear housing, and spoked flywheel. The grease cups were frozen with half a century of crud, but I degreaser and wire brushed them back into service. I will have to source a couple more though, as at least two are missing. They seem to be readily available on USA eBay, about twenty bucks a pop.
Attachment 179198

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Not having a great lot of success with photographs. Apologies for upside down pictures, crazy iPad..
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32:17 AM
Registered

I might have to try photo bucket,,
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	183
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	179199  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38:01 AM
Registered

And now, this is where I am at to date. ( sorry, I'm writing in retrospect up to this point). I have coated the lower housing in zinc rich paint, and am cleaning the upper crank case. Man, does that crud stick on! A couple of cans of heavy duty degreaser, and loves of elbow grease.. It's a shame I cannot dip it in a cleaning bath, but there are soft metal bearings in there, which I need to preserve..
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	218
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	179200  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muzzery For This Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 02:23:46 AM
Registered

Exceptional work there muzzery. You are putting a lot of TLC into this long term project and it will pay off for you at the end. Don Reid should be able to let you know what type of magneto was on your engine as he did with ours. We love our farm pumper and they do sound great when running.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03:05 AM
Registered

Yes, I agree, it may take some time, though I like to push these things along. At the moment, I am trying to get the upper crank case clean for paint. I spent a lot of time rubbing and scraping inside the crank case, with degreaser, and no more gunk comes loose, but the cast iron still has a black sheen, inside the casing. I have sat it in the hot sun at work all week, as I heard sun will help the oil seep out - cast iron must be slightly porous. We are off on three weeks camping to Mackay this weekend, so I won't be doing anything for a while. But, I might find parts up there, you never know!

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me what size the grease cups are? I found they are available in the u.s.a, size #0, #1, #2, #3 etc, ( item 380411223777) but I'm not sure of thread size. This eBay item, ( size #0, states 1/4 inch NPT . I googled it, it sounds about in the ball park, od of thread, 0.54 inch. Crazy imperial measurements. I'm a carpenter, so much prefer mm's!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22:30 PM
Registered

Nice work muzzery,
I am doing a southern cross, parts seem to have dried up for them at the moment,
good luck with the resto

Paul
Old 12-19-2013, 07:31:26 PM
Registered

Today I received a set of legs for my farm pumper, courtesy of fellow smokstacker, thank you Rob. Off to the molasses trough with the legs, and I can't wait to paint and fit them. This should kick things along nicely, as well as a left hand threaded grease cup rob also supplied.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	83
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	182442  
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzery For This Post:
Old 12-21-2013, 01:28:11 AM
Registered

Hi,
What parts do you need? Have some bits & pieces left from older pumper restorations. My rear magneto drive buzacott has a BTH. They also used MD1,Lucas N1 & RS1 will work too,quite a few others where used as well.
Side drive types used Bosch FF1A,DA2 & ZE1, have seen them with Dixie's, mine has a Simms similar to the DA2, some others where used too.
Cheers
Mick
Old 12-21-2013, 11:52:41 PM
Registered

What mix are you using for your molasses bath? Are you using it straight or diluting it? If so to what ratio?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34:37 AM
Registered

When using molasses be very careful not leave it in to long as it will draw the carbon out of the steel and make it look grainy and get very brittle.
You can use vinegar and get the same rust removal resalt with no or very little effect to the metal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob.S For This Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56:09 AM
Registered

I was advised to use molasses very watery. I put about a litre in a twenty litre bucket 18 months ago, it was two thirds filled wirh water. Last fortnite I put a larger component in, which required water to be topped up to the lip. So a litre or two molasses to about 15 litres of water, and it still works fine. But dont put alloys, aluminium, copper or brass, or it will be gone, I put an old saw blade in for five days, and you can see the brazing on the tungsten tips is diminished. I was warned to be cautious with cast iron in there too, but I havent had any bad experience yet.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieHawker View Post
Hi,
What parts do you need? Have some bits & pieces left from older pumper restorations. My rear magneto drive buzacott has a BTH. They also used MD1,Lucas N1 & RS1 will work too,quite a few others where used as well.
Side drive types used Bosch FF1A,DA2 & ZE1, have seen them with Dixie's, mine has a Simms similar to the DA2, some others where used too.
Cheers
Mick
As far as parts required go, I need some valve springs, but I can buy new ones from America. BUT, I do require one of the little valve retaining nuts, which look like a cast piece.
I will also need an oiler, a muffler, ( also available new if necessary ) and the big one, a wico EK magneto.
Apart from those things, I think I am sorted. This would bring the machine to basic completion, but if I came across the assembly which attaches to the spoked crown wheel, and drives a pump, that would be fantastic. But that is not a high priority right now..
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzery For This Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 08:24:18 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,783 Times in 390 Posts

Hi,
This is the muffler fitted to my pumper engine. Not sure if this is the correct one/type/style.
It is an aluminium repro made by "Mr Muffler Man" in Victoria.
I'm not sure if he is still going??, but he advertised that he made mufflers for most common stationery engines.
Can pass on his contact number if interested.

Hope this is of some benefit.

Best wishes, jayvee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	182771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	182772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	182773  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19:26 PM
Registered

Hi,
I am away at the moment but I'm sure I have the valve spring retainer nuts & possibley the springs, the nut you have is it round or square?, buzacott is usually square. Don Reed has very good reproduction cast iron mufflers at a good pice. I'm out of oiler I think? But will get back to you next week on that if you don't get one before. Can' help with the EK just sold a beauty last week on eBay. If you need a hand with anything else I'm glad to help,have restored 10 pumpers over the years. Will send some contact details through private messages if you like.
Good luck with the resto,
Mick.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:07:03 AM
eMail NOT Working

Why do people de-rust using molasses, bread and other mixtures when 'Electrolysis' is cheap and takes less than one day sometimes only a matter of hours
Google 'Electrolytic Removal of Rust'
Ian
Old 12-24-2013, 01:44:19 AM
Registered

My problem with using electrolysis is that I don't have a battery charger strong enough to continually run the bath and only have a jump starter battery that flattens out after about 6 hours by which time is not finished cleaning up. Then I have to recharge the battery over night and start all over again. So using molasses has no ongoing costs as well.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:38:08 PM
Registered

Having cleaned up and installed legs, I can start building the engine up again. I just had to replace the crankshaft bearing in the back end of the crankcase. With no press at hand, I managed with a few bits from the builders trailer. A long cuphead bolt, a few various washers, and out with the old, in with the new bearing, supplied by Don Reid. I have to do the same for the other matching bearing in the front case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-12-28_09-51-51_720.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	183237   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-28_09-52-12_190.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	183238   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-28_09-53-57_249.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	183239  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:43:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieHawker View Post
Hi,
I am away at the moment but I'm sure I have the valve spring retainer nuts & possibley the springs, the nut you have is it round or square?, buzacott is usually square. Don Reed has very good reproduction cast iron mufflers at a good pice. I'm out of oiler I think? But will get back to you next week on that if you don't get one before. Can' help with the EK just sold a beauty last week on eBay. If you need a hand with anything else I'm glad to help,have restored 10 pumpers over the years. Will send some contact details through private messages if you like.
Good luck with the resto,
Mick.
Mick that would be great, if you can send contact, I'll email a list.
Cheers Murray
Old 12-30-2013, 02:59:44 AM
Registered

Well done with the puller. It was a great idea and obviously worked very well for you. I look forward to seeing more on this project, great work!
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post: