Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Natural gas supply to 20 Es generator

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1387 times

Old 09-28-2014, 10:07:39 PM
Registered

Default Natural gas supply to 20 Es generator

Starting a new thread because the other one has gotten so long.

The local gas company now reccomends that instead of running a 125 ft. long 1&1/4" line with 5-7 " w.c. gas pressure that I should run a 1' line and they would use 2# pressure and I should install a regulator on the gen end of the line. how good would this be? Suggestions and thoughts/prices on where to buy a regulator of this size? Thanks again, I have the generator on the slab and ready to start hooking it up.
Later, Gene Davis
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2014, 10:39:41 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,083 Times in 1,519 Posts
Default Re: Natural gas supply to 20 Es generator

How will that effect everything else in the house. Try uscarb.com for regulator.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:27:46 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,944 Posts

I believe you will need 2! 1 at gen, 1 at entrance to house. House appliances cannot take 2#. They like around 6# WC.
As they are critical safety items, I have a STRONG preference for MADE IN USA.
There are many inexpensive regulators coming in from certain countries not known for top quality products.
Approved regulators (FM)are designed to be fail safe, so devices downstream can never be subject to overpressure.
I like a well established company with a good reputation. 3 come to mind Garretson, Fisher and Maxitrol. Plumbing supply house should be able to get them for you, otherwise Grainger, McMaster.

Last edited by Power; 09-29-2014 at 02:39:10 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09:04 AM
Subscriber

I went to a 2 psi setup for my generator, a 15JC. You'll need a regulator to reduce pressure at each appliance. They are sized according to incoming pressure(2 or 5 psi), pipe size, number of appliances, largest single appliance and total BTU requirements. Depending on your piping layout you may be able to use one for the entire house and one for the generator. My generator is at the end of my gas piping system with appliances between the meter and the genset so I had to reduce pressure at three locations, one furnace, another furnace and two hot water tanks and then the genset. They are relatively inexpensive.
I got mine at Supplyhouse.com. Maxitrol is quality equipment. Here's a link:http://www.supplyhouse.com/Maxitrol-...BTU-10701000-p
Remember to get the proper vent. Also, you can install them prior to having the meter changed over so when the gas company shows up you're all ready to go.. They will put low pressure in and out with no issues.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:53:04 AM
Registered

Hopefully this will make the plan a little clearer. The gas company I guess will keep the present regulator for furnace and the clothes dryer and the line for the generator will be connected just ahead of them if I am understanding him correctly and I will install a # to W.C. " regulator with a cutoff and then a union before going into the generator enclosure. At least that is how I am understanding it. Will advise after the gas man comes and fully relates this to me. If this is the plan he recommends 1" black iron pipe above and below grade. Stay tuned.

Thanks Gene Davis
Old 09-29-2014, 06:56:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,016 Times in 634 Posts

Around here a 2# system has a different meter. I have never seen both pressures ran at the same time. Therefore I have always need to put a reg. at each appliance.

Also uncoated black iron can not be used below grade (very long).
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11:54 AM
Registered

So the Generator is the only thing with the 2# line going to it? That sounds much better. No extra regulators inside the house needed. Do a search for Pex pipe here on the Stak there was some discussion. Most utilities in my area use plastic for gas. Pex or the like.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14:27 AM
Subscriber

I've never seen two meters with different pressures set on a property. They'll set one 2 psi meter and then you'll set a regulator for the house ( make sure it's rated for exterior) and one at the generator to knock the pressure down. Ditto on the black pipe underground, you can't do it.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16:04 AM
Registered

JHFoster There probably just installing a T before the house regulator and off the T using a different regulator for the generator. The pressure to the house is above 2 pounds before it comes in and gets regulated. Should work fine. Mike57 does the meter do the regulation or the regulator? I would guess the meters the same and the regulator is different?? I dont know.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:46:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,422 Times in 2,723 Posts

I'm waiting for a quote from a plumber to run about 75 feet of 3/4" heavy wall copper with crimp fittings. Per the guy it will be significantly cheaper to run high pressure 2 psi with regulators on my furnace and water heater than running 1.25 inch black pipe.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52:35 AM
Subscriber

On my setup there is a gas company regulator ahead of the meter. It takes the incoming line pressure(unknown psi) down to 2 psi and feeds the 2 psi meter. I then have 2 psi everywhere in the house. At each appliance I had to set a regulator to reduce to 7-11". Previously the gas company regulator took incoming gas pressure down to 7-11" and then fed the low pressure gas meter. The gas company simply changed a spring out in their regulator when they changed meters. I understand this setup has the generator piping originating at the meter location. The gas company can't put two pressures onto a property unless they set two separate meters, which I have never seen done.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:20:51 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

Distance/friction loss at low pressure will starve your generator for fuel at WC pressures. With 2 PSI, the smaller pipe will be able to supply the volume you need, and the regulator at the end will knock down to the pressure the generator needs.

I like oldstuff - I would not use Pro-Press (TM) copper for underground supply for gas. Pro-Press fittings have been known to separate under pressure (any ground movement), wether it be frost, earth shift or construction. At 2 PSI, it creates a gas leak hazard as well. NOTE - Pro-Press seals also degrade after about 25 years of service! There is another hazard as well - different manufacturers have different fittings that are NOT compatible! I ran into this on a construction site. My boss bought fittings from a reputable supplier. After assembly, when testing we found several leaks in fitting to fitting make ups. Turns out the supplier changed his source, and the crimp bores was slightly different, allowing some fittings to blow apart or seep under pressure. re-crimping did not stop the leaks!. Here in NJ, the only copper gas supply allowed is either continuous (one piece), or silver soldered connections. All underground must be K type copper. ALL gas lines are to be identified with a yellow cover/wrapping, and must have a minimum of 1 foot of sand above and below the piping. On top of the sand cover, a yellow plastic marking tape with the words NATURAL GAS has to be laid down before covering with earth. If you use propane, the appropriate labeling is to be used.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:58:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,422 Times in 2,723 Posts

Thanks Andrew.
The copper will be from the meter output through the house and to the garage. It won't be buried. Yes, I would prefer 1.25 iron pipe and not needing regs on the existing devices, but until plumber guy calls me back I won't know the cost differential.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:54:49 PM
Registered

The gas company has a 6" high pressure line across my front lawn. All they will tell me is that it is over 100# pressure. I suspect it is several hundred pounds. There are 2 regulators between the underground line and the meter. I have 15# after the second regulator to the meter - special meter I paid for. I wanted 15# to the blacksmith shop for my 25hp oilfield engine, maybe a natural gas/oxygen torch and some day a gas forge. I had to buy the regulator for the house systems and any other downstream regulators. I believe the underground pipe is plastic with metal risers. So far all is going well.

Bob
WB8NQW