Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Western Electric Gen Set

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3429 times

Old 01-05-2002, 02:51:04 PM
Gary

Default Western Electric Gen Set

What make is the single cylinder motor on a Western Electric Gen Set.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2002, 07:23:56 AM
Gus Simms

Default Re: Western Electric Gen Set

If your talking about the Mod.15V, I'm not certain, but Fuller & Johnson marketed an identical plant , Mod. 15, with the Fuller & Johnson tag. I have a WE and recently sold the F&J. The cylinder jug is somewhat reminiscent of the older F&J pumpjack engine. One might assume that it was a joint effort, but you know what happens when you assume. I'm not sure if either company made any other light plants. The WE was also offered in a smaller model, but I haven't ever come across one.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:51:09 PM
Ivor Hughes

I believe all the Western Electric single cylinder engines were made by F & J. Also F & J sold the complete light plant under their name (in this case using a Western Electric generator). There were several models by the way, the #15 unit had the control panel and coil/spark plug ignition and was intended to be used to opperate with 16 glass batteries (32V). Also it was started on gas and then could be switched to run on kerosene. There were other models used for direct lighting that used a Bosh Magneto. I have just completed a tear down and reassembly of my WE #15 by the way.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:38:27 PM
eric Groth

I have a western electric 15. How does the armature and flywheel come off the shaft. There is a left handed threaded collar w/ set screw on the shaft. Is the armature pressed on. My flywheel has tapped (abt 3/8) hole at an angle to the shaft. Is there suppose to be a set screw in there? Does anyone have a manual?
Old 03-26-2002, 08:05:36 PM
Gus Simms

Eric, the armature isn't pressed on the shaft, according to the 196 page, hard cover manual. It says to tap the nut with a punch to remove it and turn the armature off the shaft, but complications may occur. There are four pages covering this proceedure. Contact me by Email for more info.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:26:20 PM
Ken Majeski

Hi Gus: I have a Fuller & Johnson model 8B I believe the same as Western Electric.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:36:15 PM
Gus Simms

Ken, you have the rare bird. I've seen a number of 1500 watt units, both F&J and WE, only ever saw one other of the smaller version. I think that one was a WE. I have a 1927 Graybar (WE)catalogue, that shows the line up.