Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

1957 Mack B61 TT in Tennessee

this thread has 77 replies and has been viewed 5511 times

Old 09-03-2018, 08:59:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1957 Mack B61 TT in Tennessee

Thanks guys.

Fired it up again early this morning. After getting the brake pedal issue loose last night I needed to know what else it would take to make the brakes operational. Turns out, nothing. They work! Appear to have pretty healthy linings on the shoes also.

Just drove it down the road fast enough to shift into 5th gear.
Without prior experience driving this truck, it felt weird trying to shift without looking at a tach in the dash.
Even more so when trying to downshift. Especially since it won't idle. Trying to downshift, match road speed to engine speed and keep engine from dying... I'm going to need more practice

And to think, I put this thing up for sale 2 months ago. Not a single response of interest.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2018, 10:27:11 PM
Subscriber

I have three B-61's and a B-67 with Mack engines. Been around the type all my life and may be able to answer questions if you have them.

This is "Snuf: (Short Nose Ugly *ucker)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIFF.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	317855

Snuf is a 1962 B-67ST with concave cab back. END673T turbocharged engine w/9 speed overgear transmission and runs very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Troll For This Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 11:51:01 PM
Registered

SNUF... that's hilarious!

When you say 9 speed, are you talking Unishift transmission?
That's what in mine. As I'm still learning, it appears I'm missing the air shift switch on the shifter handle, air lines and if I'm not mistaken the air cylinder on the transmission. I'll look again in the morning to be certain.
Surely those parts can be found.

I know many people have chosen to change wheels and use a more late model common size. This truck has the original 10.00-22 tires. Any recommendation on where to find tires?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:13:52 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood64083 View Post
SNUF... that's hilarious!

When you say 9 speed, are you talking Unishift transmission?
That's what in mine. As I'm still learning, it appears I'm missing the air shift switch on the shifter handle, air lines and if I'm not mistaken the air cylinder on the transmission. I'll look again in the morning to be certain.
Surely those parts can be found.

I know many people have chosen to change wheels and use a more late model common size. This truck has the original 10.00-22 tires. Any recommendation on where to find tires?
The transmission you have will be a TRD-7225 which is the "Unishift" variant. The gasoline engine variant of the transmission is called a "Monoshift".

I'll copy you a section from a Mack service manual that is period correct for that truck and send it to you. They are like "hen's teeth" to acquire covering the "Unishift" series. You had to fully depress the clutch pedal, flip the lever, and allow the transmission to upshift, or downshift. There were no air lines in the cab but rather a cable from the switch. Many of these got hung between gears and exploded the rear case. They were then converted to a two stick duplex type transmission. Mine is a TRD-720 with the last "0" meaning overdrive with nine useful speed change gears. It is two stick and don't have any "Unishift" types. If you could get me a clear photo of the transmission I can identify it for you. The numbers will be stamped into the left side of the main case about mid point. The will be hand stamped, not cast into the case. Also grab a photo of the clutch pedal linkage under the truck. If you have a "Unishift" setup, I may have some parts left over from many years ago. My 1957 B-61 did have the remnants of a "Unishift" transmission when I purchased it but I build a double over triplex out of it and the truck will run into triple digits.

You can replace the rims and tires with newer style 11RX24.5" and they will be the same overall dimension as 10.00X22.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:31:17 AM
Registered

So much appreciation for the time you're taking to explain this.
I had thought the switch use to be cable operated. Was discussing this with a guy on a facebook Mack page last night and he thought I was incorrect and said my Unishift should was air operated. No worries, it's sometimes tough to understand what everyone has without seeing things in person.

I crawl under the truck this morning. Grab some more photos. Now that I have more info I can study what I'm looking at and understand it better.
May be later today before posting photos. VA appointment this morning in Nashville. Not my favorite thing in the world to do.

The stamping on the transmission is TRDL7250. Took this photo just after getting the truck Dec2016.

---------- Post added at 07:31:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
You can replace the rims and tires with newer style 11RX24.5" and they will be the same overall dimension as 10.00X22.
Are you talking the whole rim assembly? Or just the outer rim portion (leaving the spoked part of the wheel)?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:49:09 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
So much appreciation for the time you're taking to explain this.
I had thought the switch use to be cable operated. Was discussing this with a guy on a facebook Mack page last night and he thought I was incorrect and said my Unishift should was air operated. No worries, it's sometimes tough to understand what everyone has without seeing things in person.

I crawl under the truck this morning. Grab some more photos. Now that I have more info I can study what I'm looking at and understand it better.
May be later today before posting photos. VA appointment this morning in Nashville. Not my favorite thing in the world to do.

The stamping on the transmission is TRDL7250. Took this photo just after getting the truck Dec2016.

You have the aluminum case and I assumed your's was cast iron as both were available. There is slight difference internally to the gearset and the "L" in the transmission model denotes an aluminum case. The "0" at the end of the model number denote an overdrive transmission.

The actual shifting is air operated. The cable from the toggle on the shifter selects which side of an air cylinder air is routed to and floorboarding the clutch pedal completes the circuit allowing air to push the piston and through linkage shift the transmission compound gears.

---------- Post added at 07:49:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34:23 AM ----------

Just the tire and rim. The "spoke" is actually the hub and referred to as a "Dayton" style wheel. the 11RX24.5 tire size is still very common. There is a metric equivalent also but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is. It is shorter yet in the sidewall and doesn't look right on an older truck to me. 11RX24.5 are shorter sidewall that the original 10.00X22 tires also but not by a lot. Very common swap on older trucks with the larger hubs such as yours.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:09:06 PM
Registered

Grabbed a bunch of photos of the transmission.
Think I understand some of what's missing and how it should operate.
Appears to missing some things (linkage?) on both sides of the transmission.

Apologies for the bad angles. Tried to photo anything that looked relevant.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:13:24 PM
Registered

Old 09-04-2018, 04:16:29 PM
Registered

Old 09-04-2018, 04:46:54 PM
Subscriber

Naw, you did pretty good. You are missing this equipment:

Name:	20180904_130517_resized.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	317917

Unfortunately I don't have everything to put it back together but I still have a couple of B model parts tubs to look through. I knew where these parts were so easy to find and they are original to my 1957 B-61T which is diesel.

You have both the main case, and the auxiliary section case from aluminum which was common. I've also seen cast and aluminum, and aluminum and cast regarding the transmission housings. I also see the parking brake drum hardware is missing so you won't have any parking brakes. Looks like someone welded a large nut onto the throwout fork shaft to keep the arm retained? Seen all kinds of things done to trucks over the years including that when the "Unishift" transmission grenaded themselves. Those were actually a very good idea if kept up in maintenance but most weren't as they aged. They would either get in between gears and strip the gearset, or explode the case.

What you have now will not be a good operating platform as the gears in the transmission were meant to be split meaning start in 1 lo, shift to 1hi, shift to 2 lo, shift to 2 hi etc. With the way it is now, the engine will seldom be in it's torque band which was low in those days anyway. I suspect your engine, (if original) is a 170hp w/590ft# of torque as that was a very common powertrain in the B-61's of the day. 180hp is possible too but not as common. All engines are the "Thermodyne" variety.

I have a couple of transmissions that are becoming surplus to my needs sometime but they are triplex, two stick transmissions. Also have a quadruplex, and one duplex I may part with sometime. Any of these would go into your truck but only the duplex would not require a driveline modification.

In reality these can be a money pit without bottom. If the task is too daunting let me know via PM what you want for the truck and I'll consider it. I have one parts B-61 out back, but am always on the hunt for something to be a donor of parts.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:41:32 PM
Registered

Again, thanks for all the info. I'm soaking it up.

So a triplex is a twin stick and a quadraplex is, I'm guessing triple stick?

I'll figure out what to do with the old Mack in time. Taking it to a tractor and truck show this weekend. I know how people like rusty stuff.

From what you've told me about what you've seen in the photos I'm guessing it's safe to presume I have some internal damage? If that's the case, there's no point in tracking down parts.
On the upside, and without a load, at least it's fun shifting through the 5 gears. Also assuming 5th is a final drive?

Thank you for the transmission offers. Once I figure out what to do with the beat up old truck, I'll let you know. I have absolutely no intention of restoring this piece. Just thought it'd be fun as-is.

Will certainly keep you on top of the list if I decide to cut it loose.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:10:43 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Again, thanks for all the info. I'm soaking it up.

So a triplex is a twin stick and a quadraplex is, I'm guessing triple stick?

I'll figure out what to do with the old Mack in time. Taking it to a tractor and truck show this weekend. I know how people like rusty stuff.

From what you've told me about what you've seen in the photos I'm guessing it's safe to presume I have some internal damage? If that's the case, there's no point in tracking down parts.
On the upside, and without a load, at least it's fun shifting through the 5 gears. Also assuming 5th is a final drive?

Thank you for the transmission offers. Once I figure out what to do with the beat up old truck, I'll let you know. I have absolutely no intention of restoring this piece. Just thought it'd be fun as-is.

Will certainly keep you on top of the list if I decide to cut it loose.
They are all two stick transmissions. No knowledge of you having internal damage as the parts could have been robbed off this one for another truck. Usually when the back end gave problems the truck wasn't going to drive any longer so I would side with the former. It could be in the high range, or low range. Given the amount of rust on the sliding shafts I'd say it's been a while since it was complete. It will do fine without trying to pull a load with it.

Pretty rusty for your area really. I've seen several trucks around there in quite good condition so your's was a bit of a surprise.

I'm heading to ElNora, IN this weekend for a truck and tractor show also. About 250 miles for me to travel but I only get to see some like minded friends at this once a year event.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:39:54 PM
Registered

Good to hear. I have restored hope again.
In that case let me know if you find more parts later on. Might be kind of fun to see if we can make this thing work again.

If I didn't have this large tractor show this weekend I'd travel to see a truck show with a bunch of vintage stuff.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:12:47 AM
Subscriber

This is always a good show and hundreds of antique tractors of all types exhibited. Antique cars, antique trucks, steam powered engines, steam powered machine shop, and lots of things going on. Smells a lot like burning coal all day.....

http://www.wrvaa.org/
Old 09-05-2018, 07:52:44 AM
Registered

That looks like it's going to be a good show.

This weekends show in Eagleville should be pretty large. Tractors, trucks, cars, steam, also a lot of tractor pulling both Friday and Saturday.
http://www.eaglevilletvppa.com

My 22-36 is always at the top of the list to display. Maybe put it in the pull again.

I'm setting up a display of tractors, couple of hit & miss, the ugly old Mack and the Camaro I've been building for my wife.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:45:55 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
That looks like it's going to be a good show.

This weekends show in Eagleville should be pretty large. Tractors, trucks, cars, steam, also a lot of tractor pulling both Friday and Saturday.
http://www.eaglevilletvppa.com

My 22-36 is always at the top of the list to display. Maybe put it in the pull again.

I'm setting up a display of tractors, couple of hit & miss, the ugly old Mack and the Camaro I've been building for my wife.
I won't be taking anything to the show and will be riding my bike over. That's a nice 68. I assume with the badging it's an original "SS" package? Used to seeing the chrome insert hood rather than cowl induction which was very common on the 69's.

Like that old tractor for sure. Don't see too many like that.

Here is my junker:

Name:	20180813_125413_resized.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	317967

Name:	20180813_125422_resized.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	317968

Still has it's original 340 four speed. Had it a while and need to get working on it but several Mack trucks ahead of it.....
Old 09-05-2018, 09:16:53 AM
Registered

I hear ya. I have a 55 Bel-Air 2 door hardtop that's been on the back burner for a lot of years.

At first glance that looks like a Barracuda. Photo's a little grainy. Love those cars.

Was hoping to take my old '65 Harley Electra-Glide. Battery is toast. Haven't ridden it in a couple years.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:48:34 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
I hear ya. I have a 55 Bel-Air 2 door hardtop that's been on the back burner for a lot of years.

At first glance that looks like a Barracuda. Photo's a little grainy. Love those cars.

Was hoping to take my old '65 Harley Electra-Glide. Battery is toast. Haven't ridden it in a couple years.
I've had several 55, 56, and 57 Chevy's through the years but that was before they got so valuable.

The Barracuda is a 68 and I've had it since 76. It was my high school car.

Don't have anything else old unless it Mack trucks. Got about eight of those however.....

And a couple of IH's in there too.....
Old 09-07-2018, 06:41:09 AM
Subscriber

Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-07 7-Day Forecast for Latitude 38 88°N and Longitude 87 09°W (Elev 486 ft).png
Views:	12
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	318133

Don't know if I'm going to make the show this weekend or not. 80% chance of heavy rain all three days. I don't mind getting caught in the rain on the bike but purposely making a trip through it I'm not that good with. Always carry rain gear with me but still. Biggest thing is the turnout will not be great in heavy rains for people to show their equipment, flea markets, etc. as it's pretty muddy being open fields.

Last edited by Troll; 09-07-2018 at 07:26:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:46:38 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post

---------- Post added at 07:49:09 AM ---------- P-------

Just the tire and rim. The "spoke" is actually the hub and referred to as a "Dayton" style wheel. the 11RX24.5 tire size is still very common. There is a metric equivalent also but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is. It is shorter yet in the sidewall and doesn't look right on an older truck to me. 11RX24.5 are shorter sidewall that the original 10.00X22 tires also but not by a lot. Very common swap on older trucks with the larger hubs such as yours.
The reason for the two sizes is that the 11.00X22 was a tube type tire. The 11X22.5 is the tubeless equivalent. The difference was to prevent people from trying to mount a tubeless tire on the lock ring rims for tube type tires.
Macks almost always had Dayton wheels. Budds were optional and mainly ordered on the west coast. The Budd wheels are more popular now because morons would strip the studs in the Daytons and rarely got the wheels on straight. The Dayton is actually the better system. A Dayton wheel and 2 rims weigh less than 2 Budd steel wheels. In addition the spokes of the Dayton act like a pump impeller, moving air over the brake drum. A Mack just doesn't look right with Budd wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdmidget For This Post: