Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

slow running, how slow is good for a herc. engine

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3296 times

Old 10-01-2004, 09:14:28 PM
Mac Leod

Default slow running, how slow is good for a herc. engine

Hello, I have successfuly made my hercules 3 hp run at 128 RPM, I am working on the fuel mixture, it will only run for a minute or so before it dies. on high speed it is at 128 rpm, I can not it to get it to run on low speed. any ideas on makeing it run on low? What do you think, slow enough? do I realy need to adjust the timeing? it only has 1/16 of a turn on the fuel valve and the choke plate is closed all the way, with the hole plugged.

Thanks

Mac Leod
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2004, 11:49:58 PM
Vernon

Default Re: slow running, how slow is good for a herc. eng

To put less stress on the rod, crankshaft and flywheels, you need to run the timing a couple of degree after top dead center. This will also make it run slower.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:36:28 AM
Mac Leod

Default Re: slow running, how slow is good for a herc. eng

I made a few more changes, and when it fires you can barely here it, I cut the fuel/air mix down so much that you can stop the engine by grabbing the fly wheel. The combustion is very slow and I do not imagine that the stress is all that great now. I had it down to less than 100 rpms.

Thanks

Mac Leod