Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Wire Wound Resistors

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 482 times

Old 10-22-2018, 01:54:14 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Question Wire Wound Resistors

I am currently working on several American La-France 700 series fire trucks, with the V-12 engines. My problem is that both trucks have the same problem. Mice have chewed the wire wound resisters that provide power to the instruments. Gas guage, fuel guage and oil pressure guage. The trucks use 12 Volts. I have been told that the resister resistance value id 37.5 ohms, but I do not know at what current level I need. Also, who might have resisters of that value? I don't want to provide too much power to the senders, especially the fuel tank! Can anyone help with this? I was thinking of a variable potentiometer, but don't know the current or heat made by the pots will burn them out, under the load of the instruments. I am not sure if the gauges are of the King-Seeley or Stewart type either, only that with the resisters chewed up, there are no readings. We are trying to keep the original gauges, as they are in the instrument cluster on the dash.
Thanks, Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2018, 02:37:53 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wire wound resisters

Hey Andy! It was good to see you at Jacktown!
I think you should get set up with a good DC power supply measuring output voltage and current. Isolate one gauge and sender combo at a time and slowly bring the supply voltage up from zero until the gauge reads properly, be it fuel level, oil press or temp. From the current meter reading you can calculate what your resistor rating needs to be with 12v applied to the circuit when it is connected on the truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horse Power at 511 For This Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 07:33:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wire Wound Resistors

Andrew if the resistance is supposed to be 37.5 Ohms you could get yourself a couple 75 Ohm 5 or 10 Watt wirewound resistors and put in parallel and I am pretty sure (not positive though) that would carry the gauges. Mouser or DigiKey and other places have wirewound resistors. You should have the equivalent of a 10 or 20 Watt resistor. Allie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radiodoc For This Post: