Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > Other Vintage and Antique Collectibles > Antiques and toys for the Home > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Empire B31 Brought Back From the Dead!

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 510 times

Old 01-26-2019, 11:18:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Empire B31 Brought Back From the Dead!

I got this Empire B31 in the mail today. It had not been run in ages. Did the usual stuff, sight glass seals, oiled it up, etc. Plugged it in and no heat. Figured it would be a shelf queen or parts engine. Replacement heaters have always been a problem for these. I set it aside and ate supper. Then I decided I had nothing to lose, so I removed the heater to see if I could repair it. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos. I carefully removed the steel clamp the retains the heater. Then I removed the actual heater which is composed of several strips of mica, one strip of asbestos, and some flat ni-chrome wire wound around a strip of mica. Once I separated everything, the bad spot was obvious where the element had burned in two. I trimmed the element back to where it was nice and clean and took one end and placed it under the other and folded it over. I gave it a little crimp with some smooth pliers. Placed it all back in under the boiler and checked for continuity. All was good. I put some water in the boiler, it steamed right up, and ran great! Here’s the evidence.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2019, 07:23:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Re: Empire B31 Brought Back From the Dead!

I’ve run this engine five times now since the heater repair. Here’s an outside run in the cold. Enjoy!

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post: