Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin AKN will not idle

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 679 times

Old 05-08-2019, 12:56:07 AM
Registered

Angry Wisconsin AKN will not idle

I recently got my dads old Milwaukee equipment rototiller, BA 16 W601, AKN 2244749 ,spec 72630 , 2 7/8x 2 3/4motor, reversing gear box and rear tine. Fairbanks mores mag,It use to run, I am at the point of making it run again, it starts and runs on high speed but it will not idle. It ha a Stromberg OH5/8" side draft carb. Good compression, good spark, plenty of fuel. hunts real bad and dies out when trying to idle it down. Any body got any ideas about idle problem?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2019, 02:30:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,737 Times in 886 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin AKN will not idle

Carb cleaning. Check REALLY carefully all your idle circuits and emulsion tubes, air bleeds also. Really sounds like lack of idle fuel flow. If you’re sure tour carb is right and adjusted properly and you still have a hunt, move on to the governor sensitivity. Sounds like carb problem though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 02:28:18 PM
Registered

Thank you, I will pull the carb again and go thru it again.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:38:27 PM

Thanked 6,761 Times in 4,297 Posts
Exclamation Re: Wisconsin AKN will not idle

There is another posibility - Check your throttle shaft fit in the carb. The shaft should have virtually no play in the body. If it is worn, 1) it will not hold a throttle setting as the shaft wanders inn the bore, and 2) if the wear is bad enough, the amont of air sucked into the carb around the shaft will not allow a good fuel mixture at low speeds. As the engine leans out and begins to stall, it compensates for speed loss by openning the throttle with the governor. The engine overspeds and closes the throttle, and it starts a vicious cycle of speeding and stalling. Throw in a loose throttle shaft that will not hold a setting, and you can see the problem. You can of course rebuild the carb all you want, but if the throttle shaft is loose, it is a domed effort. Have you tried to manually hold the throttle to change speed (not allowing the governor to hold throttle position but manually hold throttle shaft in your hand)? Result?

Check throttle shaft for fit first by grasping the throttle idle stop (idle set screw and arm on the shaft) assembly and see if there is any 'up and down' play. The shaft should be tight in the shaft bore. Any flop and you will need to bush or replace. Check the governor linkages and the mounting holes. The links should be snug in the bores. If the holes are worn, the throttle will not hold a position accurately. Make sure the tension spring the governor works against has the proper tension and setting. "Butcher shop' springs can be problematic. Check the governor shaft where it leave the engine block, for play in the bore. If the governor shaft wanders in the bore, speed control will not be accurete. Tillers tend to run in dusty conditions. This invites dirt to be sucked into shaft sites, creating wear. If the tiller has seen a lt of use, these are the things I would look at besides the carb jets and passages.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51:40 PM
Subscriber

Might want to move this to the Small Engines Wisconsin forum.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:33:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,125 Posts

Get a can of carb cleaner with the tube on the nozzle. Locate the idle passage and spray the cleaner from the bowl area and see if it exits the idle port. The idle port is the usually the hole right behind the idle screw. As you open the throttle you will see a slot deeper in the bore behind the idle port, this is the low speed port, feeds fuel between idle speed and high speed, both of these are fed from the same passage, the idle mixture is set with the idle screw, the low speed is metered by a jet in the passage, if it gets clogged it will kill idle and low speeds, be sure the cleaner goes through.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:18:14 AM
Registered

Well, what it looks like is this carb is toast. after going thru it again it is clear that this is shot. Also the mounting port is warped.when i pulled the carb I noticed the gasket showed a curious compression inprint, put it on my mill table and i would say its almost a 1/16 out on one side.
Thank you for your input and advice. Now to find a replacement carb.
Again thank you for your input.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:57:12 AM
Subscriber

Since you have a mill, you could try truing it up. It is a common failure on those carbs. The previous comments about the shaft wear and the passages/ports also are bank on.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:06:32 AM
Registered

Thank you all for your input. I bought a carb out of Illinois. As soon as i get it I will put this baby to bed. After I paint it of course.Also since this motor is in good enough shape, i will be buying a full rebuild kit for the use in the future, since parts are hard to find now and I found a motor rebuild kit now.

---------- Post added at 06:06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05:09 AM ----------

How do I move it?