Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Left Hand Nut Supplier in Western Australia?

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 1416 times

Old 06-17-2019, 07:19:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Left Hand Nut Supplier in WA?

Dead right mate. I did a job for someone once to help him out, 15 years later i ended up with my 12.75hp Pitt as a result.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2019, 07:12:12 PM
Registered

Default Re: Left Hand Nut Supplier in WA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
Inter Bloke,..if you pm me your mailing address i will stick a good sized 1/2" or similar bolt in the lathe and make one for you.
Thanks Paul, that's a very generous offer but I have already sent off a request for availability and am just waiting to hear back so it might not be necessary. Its a good site this though that can hook people on other sides of the country (or planet) who need something odd and can't find it. I sent a couple of distributor parts to a chap in the US because he couldn't locate any for his 1926 Dodge 4 (year specific) and asked nothing in return because Gene Fisher (regular poster on here) had done me a favour not long before and wouldn't accept anything in return. It's just "good" !

Ray, that's one I haven't heard of but looks like I won't need it if things go the way they are looking at the moment.

Shane, I did try "connect" out in Davenport, that's the new name of Coventry fasteners (don't know if its changed hands or just names) and they can get them in in a box of 100 ! I thought there should be some available locally in small lots.

Its amazing how one small nut can generate so much discussion !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,016 Posts
Default Re: Left Hand Nut Supplier in Western Australia?

Tap is there ready Inter Bloke,if your other plans come up empty.
I have a mate here Darryl who I have traded favours with over the years.He's a pretty successful local builder.At times his main lackey who was a pretty handy footballer would dissapear on a Saturday,sometimes when a concrete truck was booked,or some compacting equipment hired.The door would swing both ways of course,but me being me...I got the idea that I was getting behind.I asked him "where are we up to"? ...and his answer was miles ahead of my tight fisted attitude.He said "this will only work if we don't keep count".It put a crinkle in my brow the first time he said it.A year or more later a truck and crane arrived with my little house,and they sat it on my block of land.
My mate arrived and studied it around the door jambs and fittings,then came out with,"yeah I think I might have helped build this one during my apprenticeship?When are you planning to stump it"?I told him I had no idea,as I was taking each step as it came.He said...."see you Monday".
Monday came and there were lazer levelers,Bobcats and a cement truck,all following his directions.
I think I paid for the 'crete.His biggest problem for the day was getting me out of the road from second guessing his work.He confronted that issue early in the piece,so that he had a chance of getting the job done inside of a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 02:36:41 AM
Registered

I guess it has caused a big discussion because many want to help a fellow restorer, it is a real good thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 08:36:09 PM
Registered

Graham have you got that nut yet? After all the discussion I hope there was a happy outcome.

Eric
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Schulz For This Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schulz View Post
Graham have you got that nut yet? After all the discussion I hope there was a happy outcome.

Eric
Thanks Eric, but "no" I haven't got the nut yet, BUT I have got a LH 1/2 inch Whit tap winging its way out here from England, cost 10 quid but happy to have it ! I suspect it may be of Indian origin but the last time I bought anything from India on E'PAY "I" payed and didn't get anything in return so I steer away from India on E'Bay !
I got the "missus" to put a notice on the local Facebook page (I have every intension of never going on facebook ! ) and a local chap gave me a link to a supplier he uses in England, so I purchased one from them, should be here in about a week.

Cross fingers !
Old 07-08-2019, 08:14:51 AM
Registered

Next time you are looking for taps and dies have a look at LPR Tools in Victoria. I have bought both BSW and BSF taps and dies sets from them and are good quality and not badly priced.

I'm with you on the FaceAche thing, never joined and never will.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:01:34 PM
Registered

Hi Guys, I bought some !/4 Whit, taps at a Ballarat Swap Meet a few years ago and when I got home I had trouble starting them. Turned out they are Left Hand Thread. I still have them, If someone needs one in !/4 inch Whit, let me know. I won't mind parting with one or two. Cheers, John
Old 07-09-2019, 07:10:58 PM
Registered

I'm really puzzled. Why get a tap from England, then make a nut and thread it, when you can buy a ready made nut in Australia?

Eric
Old 07-25-2019, 07:38:46 PM
Registered

Eric,
I have been trying for two months to find a supplier of left hand half inch whitworth nuts and unless I want to buy a box of 100 I can't get them in Australia ! I must have contacted suppliers in ever state except Tasmania and no luck. Metric and UNC no problem I can even get them localy but BSW is now unavailable.

Tap has arrived from Devon, but I will be a bit too busy over the next couple of weeks to make one, but soon it will happen.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:31:40 PM
Registered

a bit more trivia,
also multinational,
from Power Farming Magazine, Australia, 1935 December.
cheers Rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lefthandscrew-1935december-powerfarmingmag.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	340007  
Old 07-26-2019, 05:49:51 PM
Registered

Hi All. " left handed screws on old Stage Coach " !! Wow, I wonder if those Yanks had to make their own " Left Handed Screw Driver," or could they purchase one locally. Cheers, John